ALL >> Business >> View Article
California Labor Law Updates
Total Articles: 5
Major employers and small business owners in California need to be aware of a number of changes that affect the statewide requirements for labor law posters.
California has recently updated laws concerning Paid Leave, Workers’ Compensation and the state minimum wage. All of these changes affect state posting requirements for every employers.
California Minimum Wage Increase
The California minimum wage increase is a multi-step plan that implements a series of increases in the state minimum wage. The initial phase of the increase went into effect on January 1, 2014 when the state mandated that a minimum wage employee’s hourly rate increase from $8.00 to $9.00 per hour.
Effective January 1, 2015, employers must pay a minimum wage of $10.00 per hour under MW-2014 issued by the California Industrial Welfare Commission based on a law passed in 2006. While there are some exceptions to the law for certain occupations like salespeople and sheepherders, it covers most employees in the state. Employees who are enrolled in a formal apprenticeship program may be paid less, and learners with no relevant work experience can be paid less for the first 160 hours of work.
California Paid Family Leave
Another recent change expands coverage under the California Paid Family Leave (PFL) law. Since 2002, this law has permitted eligible employees across the state to take paid time off to care for a parent, spouse or child with a serious health condition, or to bond with a new baby. Benefits are paid through the state disability insurance program.
Beginning July 1, 2014, California expanded benefits under PFL, allowing employees to take time off to care for a grandparent or grandchild. The extension also permits an employee to take paid time off to care for a mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister or brother. Every employer must display an updated labor law poster notifying employees of these benefits.
California Workers’ Compensation
California passed a major overhaul of the Workers’ Compensation law (usually called Workers Comp), which required employers to update their labor law posters. Representatives of labor unions and employers negotiated over State Bill 863 for months. The result was a completely revamped system that pays higher benefits to workers who are permanently affected, yet implements cost-saving measures for employers.
All three of these changes require employers to ensure that their labor law posters are current.
About Author: LaborLawCenter offers employers the resources they need to satisfy their compliance requirements. We specialize in State and Federal Labor Law posters. Visit our website http://www.laborlawcenter.com or Call us at 1-800-745-9970 to buy mandatory compliance required labor law posters.
Business Articles1. Advantages And Disadvantages Of Concrete Staining
Author: Ben Lager
2. What To Look For When Hiring An Ocean Freight Shipping Company
Author: William Santos
3. Top 4 Advantages Of Concrete Coating
Author: Ben Lager
4. Centrifugal Blower Manufacturer In India|centrifugal Blower Fan
5. Building A Modern Architecture Homes- Planning And Concept
Author: Leila Adam
6. Thorough Proofreading Finesses Documents, Raises The Organization’s Reputation
Author: NetZealous LLC, DBA TrainHR
7. Design And Build Contractor Singapore – Get The Best Services From Interior Renovation Contractor!
Author: James Han
8. Meishen–a Bright Star In Magnesium Oxide Industry
Author: hu Allen
9. Grow Customer Base And Market Presence With Pharmacist Email Lists For Your Business Campaign
Author: Adam Tyson
10. Adapt New Forms Of B2b Communication With Infection Control Directors Mailing List
Author: Andrew Rayel
11. Moby Wrap Baby Carrier
12. Care For Your Deck
Author: Blue Star Carpentry has been specializing in custom decks for over a decade. When you sit outside wi
13. How Does A Small B2b Company Increase The sales?
Author: Mohit Yadev
14. Latest Job Vacancies In India
15. Why Are Aap And Congress Supporters Opposing A Tax Reform Like The Gst? Are They Anti-nationals?
Author: Mohit Yadev