ALL >> Health >> View Article
What Precautions You Should Take For Osteoporosis
Total Articles: 38
Osteoporosis is a progressive bone disease that is characterized by a decrease in bone mass and density which can lead to an increased risk of fracture in the hip, spine, and wrist. In turn, these fractures can be disabling. As we age, our bones get thinner, making us more prone to experience severe bone thinning, a symptom of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis affects millions of older adults, usually striking after 60.
Although it is most commonly found in women, it is not unheard of in men. Sometimes the first sign is a broken bone in the hip, spine, or wrist after a bump or fall. As the disease gets worse, other signs may appear such as pain in the back and ultimately, a curved backbone.
Causes of Osteoporosis
After menopause, the calcium loss in women accelerates to an average of one to two percent a year. Estrogen is a hormone that is important in protecting the skeleton by helping the body's bone to form cells in order to keep working. After menopause, this protection can be considered lost as the level of estrogen decreases.
Other causes of osteoporosis are heredity and lifestyle. Whites and Asians, tall and thin women and those with a history of osteoporosis are those at the highest risk of getting osteoporosis. The behavioral causes of osteoporosis are smoking, alcohol abuse, prolonged inactivity and a diet low in calcium.
Symptoms and Treatment
Osteoporosis bone fractures are responsible for considerable pain, decreased quality of life, lost workdays and disability. Up to 35% of patients suffering a hip fracture will need long term nursing home care. Elderly patients can further develop pneumonia and blood clots in the leg veins that can travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) due to prolonged bed rest after a hip fracture. Also, when estrogen levels decreases after menopause bone loss fastens.
Following are some risk factors of osteoporosis:
• Old age.
• Family history of osteoporosis.
• Certain medicines and drugs can also cause this disease.
• White or Asian women are at greater risk of osteoporosis.
• Some people suffer from osteopenia which means low bone mass.
The following precautionary treatments can be taken:
• Tests can determine if a person has osteoporosis.
• Estrogen supplements can been used during the first two years of menopause.
• Genetics, diet and lifestyle are determinants of osteoporosis.
• Other factors which can influence osteoporosis is excessive exercise or not enough, a very high or very low
protein diet, excessive phosphorus consumption (found in soft drink, junk food, dairy and meat), cigarette smoking, coffee, sugar, salt, lack of vitamins and minerals, insufficient fat in diet, stress, antacid consumption. Essentially, exercise and a diet rich in vitamins and minerals is vital.
If osteoporosis is diagnosed and treated in a timely manner, the patient can led a productive and effective life.
Dr Sejal Thakkar, A Spine Consultant at Qi Spine Clinic, a Masters in Musculoskeletal Conditions from Nanavati hospital and Bachlors of Physiotherapy from D.Y.Patil college of Physiotherapy, Certified Shacklock's Neurodynamic solutions and Mulligan's technique of mobilisation. Pursuing certification in MDT (Mechanical Diagnosis and treatment) from the Mckenzie Institute, New Zealand
She is driven by the goal of achieving excellence in clinical practice by constantly updating my knowledge and has a special interest in movement analysis and done several workshops on Kinetic Control-Movement solutions, Osteoporosis treatment solutions.
Health Articles1. Natural Breast Enlargement: 6 Tips And Techniques For More Beautiful Breasts | Breast Enlargement T
Author: Dr Hashmi
2. Keeping Manhood Skin Healthy After Tattoos
Author: John Dugan
3. Exercises Can Help You Increase Your Breast Size Naturally | Breast Enlargement Treatment
Author: Dr Hashmi
4. Help Children Grow Happily Under The Guidance Of Preschool Liverpool
Author: Colleen Grenville
5. Safe And Fast Relief Of Menopause
Author: Joseph Mary
6. Feel Young With These 5 Anti-ageing Treatment
Author: Peter Dobie
7. Clear Aligners Are Perfect To Straighten Crooked Teeth
Author: Neil Bullement
8. What Is The Best Martial Art In Kelowna For Kids?
Author: Mark Jamon
9. Why It Is Suggested To Go For Depression Counseling Programs?
Author: Angelika Matthias
10. Top Assisted Living Facilities In Albuquerque
Author: vikram kumar
11. Kidney Diseases
12. What To Look For In Best Bodybuilding Gym In Dallas
13. What To Look For In A Neighborhood Gym
14. Top Quality Service From Neighborhood Gym
15. Important Considerations About Strength Training In Dallas