ALL >> Web-Hosting >> View Article
Five Website Monitoring Service Musts
Total Articles: 499
When you decide to invest in website monitoring services, and you most definitely should if you're serious about the success of your business, you need to realize that not all services are created equal. If you want to invest in the services of a quality website monitor, you need to know what you should be on the lookout for. Here are five things to look for and never settle on when it comes to choosing the website monitoring service that's right for you.
1. Email Notifications Don't Cut It
Your website goes down. It's your website monitoring service's job to let you know about it. The problem is that many of the "free" services on the Web only notify you via email. Now what good is that going to do you when your email server goes down with your site? You still won't know your site is suffering an outage and you won't be doing anything about it. That's why quality website monitoring services employ phone calls and SMS text messages to notify you of downtime and performance issues in addition to email messages.
2. Forego Cached Name Checking
Some website monitors check cached name servers when monitoring your site. This can lead to huge problems because the time it takes your service to notify you of an outage depends on your site's TTL, or time to live. Let's say you have a hosting company with a TTL of 24 hours. That means your website monitoring service won't even realize your site is down until 24 hours after the outage has occurred. You need to use a website monitor that utilizes technology that doesn't rely on checking cached name servers.
3. One Server Is Not Enough
When you utilize the services of a website monitoring company you need to use one that has more than one server in more than one location. The reason for this is simple. What happens if your monitoring service's server goes down? Your site is no longer protected. What happens if a power outage occurs? Your site is left to fend for itself. With a company that offers multiple servers in multiple locations, you can ensure that your site is being checked as it should be regardless of what happens at one server location.
4. Don't Deal with Software
Unless you're really good with software and installations of software onto your site, you probably want a service that doesn't require too much technical savvy. Some website monitoring services don't require you to install software on your site. This means your site can be protected without you having to endure the headache of having to figure out exactly how the service's software works.
5. Don't Settle for Extensive Time Lapses between Site Checks
A good website monitor will allow you to check your site every minute of the day. Some services only check your site every 15 minutes or half an hour. That means you could experience half an hour of downtime before your service even notifies you. Since time is money, this isn't an acceptable scenario. You need to do business with a website monitoring service that will check your site as frequently as you want it to.
Remember, there are a number of website monitoring services to choose from. Make sure you go with the one that offers the most for your money. Keep the above five tips in mind any time you consider doing business with any website monitoring company.
Alertra is a leading provider of web site monitoring and alerting services. We monitor the availability and performance of Internet-connected devices. Website monitoring by Alertra provides timely alert notifications and access to detailed reporting. Alertra.com offer monitoring service to all sizes of businesses right from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Web Hosting Articles1. Creating Faster Websites And Website Monitoring For A Global Business
2. Brief Overview Of Public Cloud Hosting Solutions
3. Importance Of Dns For Website Uptime
4. Build Your Social Website Without Any Efforts
5. Why Failover Support Is Needed For Your Business Website?
6. Why Use A Site Monitor Service To Check A Site’s Api Responses?
7. 7 Questions To Ask Regarding The Security Of Hosting Services
Author: Andrew Stevenson
8. Knowing The Domain Registration From The Guidance Of Hosting Provider
Author: Prism online
9. Types Of Serveriu Hostingas And Their Advantages And Disadvantages
Author: Host Net
10. Know The Right Difference Between Cloud & Virtualization
Author: Manoj Nagesh
11. Dedicated Servers – To Manage Workloads In A Performance Driven Environment
12. Don’t Rely On Free Online Website Monitoring Tools For Accurate Site Performance Assessment
13. Is Your Website Really Experiencing Downtime And How To Resolve Common Issues?
14. How To Advertise After A Natural Disaster?
15. Things You Need To Monitor Before Your Website Launch