ALL >> Health >> View Article
Protonix Is In A Group Of Drugs Called Proton Pump Inhibitors - Onlinepillmart
Total Articles: 30
PROTONIX (Pantoprazole) is a prescription drug recommended for the short-term treatment in the curing and relief of symptoms of acid-related damage to the esophagus. This condition is known as erosive esophagitis or erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and is caused by back up of stomach acid into the esophagus. It is in a group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors. It decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Mechanism of Action
This drug is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) that suppresses the final step in gastric acid production by covalently binding to the (H+, K+)-ATPase enzyme system at the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cell. This effect leads to inhibition of both basal and stimulated gastric acid secretion irrespective of the stimulus. The binding to the (H+, K+)-ATPase results in a duration of antisecretory effect that persists longer than 24 hours for all doses tested (20 mg to 120 mg).
Important Safety Information
• Patients who are allergic to any ingredient of this drug or other proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) should not take it.
• Relief of your symptoms while on PROTONIX does not exclude the possibility that serious stomach conditions are present.
• It may increase the risk of getting severe diarrhea due to an intestinal infection caused by Clostridium difficile. Call your doctor right away if you have diarrhea, cramps, and fever that does not go away.
• PPI therapy may be associated with increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist or spine.
• Patients should use the lowest dose and shortest duration of PPI appropriate to the condition being treated.
• Low magnesium can happen in some patients who take proton pump inhibitor medicines for at least 3 months. Tell your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms of low magnesium: seizures, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, muscle spasms or cramps.
• The most frequently reported side effects in adults were headache, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, gas, dizziness, and joint pain.
• The most frequently reported side effects for PROTONIX in children 1 to 16 years of age were upper respiratory infections, headache, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, and abdominal pain.
• Before taking it, tell your doctor if you are taking any drugs containing ampicillin, atazanavir, iron, ketoconazole, nelfinavir or warfarin. If you are taking PROTONIX with warfarin, you may need to have certain laboratory tests monitored because serious problems could occur.
Stop using pantoprazole and call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of low magnesium such as:
• dizziness, confusion;
• fast or uneven heart rate;
• jerking muscle movements;
• feeling nervous;
• muscle cramps, muscle weakness or limp feeling;
• cough or choking feeling; or
• seizure (convulsions).
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: liver disease.
Some symptoms may actually be signs of a more serious condition. Tell your doctor immediately if you have: heartburn with lightheadedness/sweating/dizziness, chest pain or shoulder pain (especially with trouble breathing, sweating, lightheadedness, pain spreading to arms/jaw/neck/shoulders), unexplained weight loss.
Store the drug at room temperature. Protect from heat, light and moisture. Keep away from reach of children.
Health Articles1. Male Organ Pain: Are Barrier Protections To Blame?
Author: John Dugan
2. Know About The Key Responsibilities Of A Healthcare Support Worker
Author: Paige Rees
3. Smilex - The Place For Getting The Best Solution For Dental Issues
Author: Mohan Kumar
4. The Easiest Guide Ever To Get Fit & Healthy
5. Span Sure Medical Instruments Pvt. Ltd., Korea Automatic Thermal Massage Bed - Suppliers
Author: spansure medical
6. Midwives Acquire Nursing And Midwifery Programs To Fulfill Big Responsibilities
7. Specialties And Steps Involved In Elective Abroad Medical And Pre Medical Programs
8. Clinically Proven Solutions For Hairloss!!! Unfortunately Less Known!!!
9. How To Treat Gum Disease?
Author: Chris Hugh
10. Ways To Find The Best Chiropody Clinic
Author: The Harley Medical Foot and Nail Laser Clinic Lond
11. How A Good Parent Helps A Childcare Western Sydney
Author: Colleen Grenville
12. Top 30 Signs And Symptoms Of Adrenal Fatigue
Author: Peter Dobie
13. Male Organ Pain After Oral Sensual Activity: Urethritis?
Author: John Dugan
14. The Growing Relevance Of Mobile Massage Services In Albuquerque
Author: Bernadette Gongora
15. Now Natural Cure For Diabetes Is In Your Fingertips
Author: Salveo Life Sciences Limited