ALL >> Business >> View Article
A Guide To Hiring An Investment Advisor
Total Articles: 4777
There is a reason most of us depend on our friends or ourselves for making important investment decisions. It's hard to find a dependable professional source of investment advice. There is no dearth of places to turn to for investment advice, but the decision to put a portion of your financial future in someone else hands should be made very carefully after collecting sufficient information.
What are the different types of financial and investment advisers?
* Investment Adviser is a professional firm or an individual that advises clients on investment matters. They may manage trust funds, pension funds and personal investments like stocks and mutual funds on their customer's behalf.
* Financial planners offer investment advice and help clients with savings, taxes, insurance, estate planning and retirement.
* Brokers buy or sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds on their customer's behalf.
How do I pick a good investment adviser?
Ask your friends and family if they know a good investment adviser. Compare price quotes from multiple Investment advisers listed on a B2B marketplace like TradeSeam and ask them for an appointment.
Interview your financial adviser extensively, judging their professionalism and experience. Let him or her learn about your tax situation, fiscal health and long term goals. Consider the following questions to narrow your search for an investment adviser.
* What experience do you have?
* Where are you registered?
* What investment services do you extend?
* Do you have all the required licenses?
* How much money do you manage for other clients?
* How have your investments performed in the past one to ten years?
* How will you assist me with my investments?
* How are you paid?
* Do you require a minimum investment?
* How are you different from other investment or financial advisers?
Learn how your adviser gains from you
Investment advisers are paid either a percent of the asset value they handle for a customer, a fixed or hourly fee, or a combination of all. They have a fiduciary responsibility to act in your best interest while making investment decisions on your behalf. It is best to at least partially compensate the investment adviser based on his or her performance. In such an arrangement, the investment adviser makes a commission only if he or she meets your investment goals. Be wary of investments that pay a large upfront fee to the investment adviser or lock you into investments that levy a withdrawal penalty.
Check credentials and references
It is important to check references and credentials. For example in the US ask for Form ADV for the advisers, which provides you with the advisers background, services offered, mode of payment and strategies used. Form is obtainable from the advisers, the SEC, state security regulator or those advisers managing $25 million or more in client assets. Also inquire about the advisers educational and professional background.
Know how to evaluate your advisers
Once you have hired an investment adviser, remember to evaluate his or her performance at regular interval. It is also important to meet with them regularly to review short and long term goals and to adjust your investment portfolio. Apply the following standards for evaluation.
* Review performance: Check regularly how your money is doing in the investments advocated by your adviser. Evaluate portfolio performance with regard to investment goal and risk tolerance for invested assets. Use a proper benchmark or metric matching your investment strategy for various assets. For example if you have invested in stocks, use the market index as the benchmark for comparison.
* Cost-benefit ratio: Though your money maybe doing well, it's significant to ascertain the investment return delivered to your adviser. Are you paying more than you thought for the investment return?
* Quality of investment recommendations: Evaluate and test your advisers knowledge of the latest investment approaches, preparedness to stay above the rest in the changing market and insights or suggestions on new investment strategies.
* Working relationship: Your investment adviser should regularly communicate and update you about your investments.
* Personalized service: adviser should regularly review your investment goals and preferences and tailor the investments accordingly. You should be wary of investment advisers who show too much reliance on software programs to create your portfolio.
Hiring a good investment adviser is important to secure your financial future. Hire someone you can trust and can easily communicate with. If you adviser does not perform as expected, set up a meeting to rectify the situation else find someone who could be more helpful.
Daljeet Sidhu is a serial entrepreneur and founding partner at http://www.TradeSeam.com, the world's first small business network and B2B marketplace, connecting customers, suppliers and service providers; all who have an interest in accelerating the growth of their business. Visit A Guide to Hiring an Investment Advisor.
Business Articles1. Three Advantages Of Enterprise Content Management Software That Proves Helpful For The News Agencies
Author: Unknown Member
2. Get Ready For The Trips With Wholesale Straight Tuck Boxes
Author: Kashif Aftab
3. Connect With The Right Prospective Tenants With Easy Tenant Screening Tool
Author: Lee Wood
4. Excel Tricks And Shortcuts For Accountants Are Finally Here!!
Author: Lunna Walker
5. Some Useful And Realistic Ways To Get Money Online Without The Hazards Of Additional Investment
Author: Osemudiamen Okoh
6. How Mcr World Is Helpful In Accomplishing Your Goals In The Stock Market
Author: mcrworld knowledge corner
7. Dlf Mall Of India-greatest Enjoyable Place To Visit In Noida
Author: DLF Mall of India
8. Our Every Product Comes With Our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Author: For more details:- hiking store, hiking accessori
9. Marquee Tent Hire Is The Best Option For Those Who Wish To Add A Different Taste For Their Parties
Author: John Jackson
10. Folding Sitting Stool With Carrying Handle
Author: For more details on our products and services, p
11. Manufacturer And Supplier Of Best Quality Polypropylene Multifilament Yarn In Aurangabad
Author: Shreeram Industries
12. Manoeuvring Forklifts For Safety
Author: Alvira Khan
13. Advocaat Bedrijf
14. Armchairs And Sofas For Children
15. Nick Lynch, Cpt
Author: For more details on our products and services, p