ALL >> Business >> View Article
Various Types Of Compact Discs
Total Articles: 25
Compact Disc (CD) is the first device using optical rays to store information, both analog and digital. The music band ABBA is historically famous for releasing the first audio music album-The Visitors via the Compact Disc in 1982. Subsequently it became an industry norm and music CD manufacturing took an all new high. By 1985, the compact disc was also used to store data as information and not just music. And from there on the compact disc has had its fair share of glorious days.
Briefly looking at the various types of CDs available then and some even now-
CD-Read Only Memory (ROM)
This can only allow the computer to read the already stored in data and it cannot be used to write any information on it. Its ultimate popularity was for distributing software and games for various consoles.
Recordable CD (CD-R)
The CD-R is also referred to as CW-WO (write once) or CD-WORM (Write Once, Read Many). It was co-developed by Sony and Philips. The USP of this CD is that the information written once on this can be read many times and its disadvantage was that it was not capable of being reading all devices because of lack of proper compatibility. It is dyed with a photosensitive organic dye that enables the user to record data on it and when inserted into the player, the in-built laser rays read the data. Manufacturing of music CD got popular with the Recordable CD as most music albums post the mid80s was released in this format. Although USBs are very popular today, people also use this to back up software as it is very cost friendly and can hold up to 700 MB of information.
Rewriteable CD (CD-RW)
In a CD-RW, the data on it can be written a number of times, erased and written again. One rewritable CD usually holds 650-700 MB of data and can be rewritten as many as 1000 times though the quality of the audio and video stored in it significantly reduces when rewritten many times over.
Video CD (VCD)
The VCD was simply the CD but with moving images and pictures. It was ideal for watching movies and could hold 74/80 minutes of data and had a capacity of 650MB/700MB. The quality of the images on this was not too good and was later replaced with the SVCD and DVD.
Super Video CD (SVCD)
It succeeded the VCD but with a higher resolution. The lesser the data on the SVCD, the better was the quality. It could hold subtitles and audio tracks along with the video. A SVCD could be played on DVD players and personal computers that had CD-ROMs.
CD + Graphics (CD+G)
CD+G's used the same technology as the audio CD and is popular for karaoke even today. It contains the music, along with graphics.
Author Bio:Mike Simmons is a professional author, lives in Surrey, Canada. He loves to share his ideas and knowledge to make people aware about CD manufacturing services in Canada. In order to avail these services please visit Predisc.com.
Business Articles1. Styrene Prices Updates In First Quarter Of 2017
Author: Mirza Zahid Baig
2. Updated And Cost-effective Ibm Crm Users Email Lists To Reach Target Audience At The Right Time
Author: Jordan Smith
3. Opportunities For The Global Continuous Fiber Thermoplastics Market To Grow At A Cagr Of 9.5%
Author: Roy Almaguer
4. What Is The Procedure Of Manufacturing Tissue Paper Using The Toilet Paper Machine?
Author: Zack Kugler
5. Best Property Dealer In Bhopal
6. Bells And Whistles Of A Servo Voltage Stabilizer
Author: R. D. Electric Works
7. Technical Writing For Hr Professionals
Author: NetZealous LLC, DBA TrainHR
8. Best Campers For Your Adventure
Author: Paul Wright
9. Explaining Different Oil Cooling Methods To Avoid Loss In Transformers
Author: Trutech Products
10. How To Control And Monitor Your Sales And Field Force With Actouch Sales Force Automation (sfa) Mobi
11. Web Designing And Web Development Company Toronto
Author: Unknown Member
12. 7 Essential Reasons To Associate With Naswiz Retails Private Limited And Make A Difference To Your L
Author: Shilpa Sharma
13. Save Money And Time With Best Reloading Supplies
Author: SUPPLY DROP
14. Prove Yourself By Showing Your Fashion Taste By Beaded Bracelets
Author: John Winslow
15. Professional International Freight Forwarding Services Offer Best Solutions