ALL >> Computers >> View Article
Evolution Of External Storage Devices In Canada
Total Articles: 25
From floppy disc to Cloud storage, storage devices have come a long way. Today we are crossing every barrier and boundary to make the safest, most portable and compact storage devices for all the Terra bytes of information that we want to carry.
In 1928, the magnetic tape which is the earliest known storage device consisted of a fine magnetic tape which records analog and digital data and can play back to the user. Few years later, Professor William made the first random access memory (RAM) used in the early computers called the William Tube. With this, a maximum storage of 1024 bits was implemented. In 1956, the Hard disk was invented which weighed more than a ton and was a huge cylindrical unit.
In 1963, the extremely popular audio Cassette was introduced by Philips. Though it was meant for dictation, it became more famous for recording music and subsequent collaboration with Sony’s Walkman series changed music’s accessibility around the world. IBM was continuing in its innovation of storage devices when the even popular Floppy disk was introduced in 1971. It was 8” in size. This was a popular storage device for personal computers but in 1976 the 8”size was reduced to 5.25” which was more perfect for the home PCs. It was cheaper, faster and could store up to 110 KB. After the millennium, floppy disks are rarely used and were replaced by its smarter successors. Early 80’s saw two electronics giants, Philips and Sony work separately on developing the Compact Disc. The technology used for this was an offshoot of the Laser Disc technology where light is used to replay music. Subsequently in 1984 the CD-ROM (Read Only Memory) was made which was used to store digital data.
1990- till date-
Flash drives saw the light of day in 1994. It became most popular when digital cameras used it to store the photos in the camera. The very next year, the DVD also came to play and it was the next-gen to the CD. It was a faster and savvier answer to the CD. Soon after this, the CD rewritable took over which allowed the user to erase contents already stored and fill it with new ones if required or write above what was already on it. These came in disc trays which had round aligned ‘teeth’ to hold the CD. An environmental friendly replacement to this was the
best digipak companies which hugely caught up with the music industry as it was made of recyclable cardboard and the scratch caused by the plastic teeth was avoided by the digipaks. By the late 90’s, the micro drive called as USB sticks were introduced which were easy to use on standard PCs and laptops. Today Terra Bytes of data can be stored in this.
And now the latest is the cloud backup where information can be saved virtually in your Smartphone or computer without requiring an external device. These will not be deleted and can be stored forever without the fear of losing it.
Author Bio:Mike Simmons is a professional author, lives in Surrey, Canada. He loves to share his ideas and knowledge to make people aware about cd duplication in Canada. In order to buy please visit Predisc.com.
Computers Articles1. Why To Move It Consulting In Miami And Your Career Towards Tech
Author: ITSupport Managers
2. Activate Norton Antivirus |+1-855-550-9333
Author: alissa silver
3. Installation Or Upgrade Of New Operating Systems.| Dataalign
4. Avail Data Recovery Milwaukee Services To Restore Data From Failed Hard Drives
5. What’s The Difference Between Office 365 And Office 2016?
Author: Karim Salem
6. How To Protect Your Dell Computers From Viruses.
7. Find The Ultimate Laptop Screen Repair In Mumbai
Author: Mike Rakhangi
8. Avail It Support Waukesha To Maintain Your Computer Systems In Best Condition
9. Online Use Of Practice Management Software For Physiotherapists In Australia
Author: Ben C
10. Dell Laptop Does Not Boot Or Hangs Periodically.| Call +1(888)784-9316
11. Business Process Automation As A Service For Organizations In Today’s World
12. 5 Reasons To Choose Universal Laser Service For Cutting, Engraving And Marking
Author: Rob Hibbs
13. Why Companies Are Using It Managed Services
14. How Cloud Security Be Contributed To The Safety Of Your Business
15. Healthcare It Solutions – Many Advantages