ALL >> Computers >> View Article
The Best Asp Migration Steps Of 2014
Total Articles: 1
Its end of era for Classic ASP development as current applications demand multiples of performance gain in future, this triggers the need for migration to ASP .NET. The ASP to ASP .NET migration is fostered by the need for more scalable and reliable future applications. In addition to the better performance gain offered by ASP .NET, features such as built-in cross browser compatibility and rich server-side controls also add to its benefits. Although, there is no complete automation process available for conversion, but there are certain steps and best practices that can be leveraged for an easy ASP migration process.
Devising an ASP migration strategy is not always straightforward. Rewriting the entire web application in Microsoft .NET from scratch although seems an enthusiastic option from a developer perspective, but it’s less attractive for the management. In most scenarios, the application is already in production and satisfies the requirements, this factor needs to be taken into account.
Let’s discuss the ASP to ASP .NET migration steps that best suits you
Set ASP Compatibility Mode:
Calling STA components from code running under the MTA model doesn’t t perform well and is unreliable. This means that if you call COM components that run under the STA model, you have a problem. Unfortunately, every COM component created with Visual Basic 6.0 will use the STA model. Unless you have run C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\makfre15.bat on your server, ADO also runs under the STA model. Do not do this if you have applications using Microsoft Access!
Change Object Use:
An ASP to ASP .NET migration is about change. If you’re fortunate, your pages will run now without raising a compilation error. They may still raise run-time errors. If they don’t compile, it’s likely your code isn’t giving you the proper results yet.
Now that your code runs, it is time to apply typing. If you don’t do this, the performance of the code is likely to be worse than under ASP classic because the code is late-bound, which is a real performance killer.
Handle Other Syntax and API Changes:
The familiar tags are still available in ASP.NET, but they work differently. An object-oriented model in ASP.NET replaces the sequential model of ASP pages.
Handle Language Changes:
In the .NET Framework, VBScript is not supported anymore, which also means it is no longer supported in ASP.NET. Instead, you have to use full-fledged VB.
Follow these above steps for ASP migration to build the application for better performance, reliability, scalability and agility. However one question arises is the possibility to start extending the application in .NET and at the same time preserving an investment in the legacy ASP code? Specifically if a complete ASP migration can be achieved progressively in a number of evolutionary migration steps, with every step resolving a concrete migration-justifiable problem. In any ASP migration it is important to stress that even with a discreet "do not touch legacy code" strategy; some changes to this code must be done. A few of them are:
1) Unexpected small future updates that are tightly coupled with legacy code and are preferred, compared to the code migration option.
2) Modifications determined by the decision to access .NET code from legacy code.
3) A legacy code update for ASP and ASP .NET state synchronization.
4) Variations driven by the choice to expose legacy code to .NET code.
The migration to ASP .NET provides a better product together with the added advantages such as ease of development, better efficiency with master pages and the availability as well as security of the source code. ASP Migration will allow you to work on a flexible stage and will enable product enhancements at later stages. If you want to build a robust and well-architected software product using the ASP .Net framework, the time is now!
To learn more about the migration strategies, continue reading our blogs.
Computers Articles1. Settle Error 1335 Of Ms Office - Resolve Microsoft Office Error 1335 From Pc
2. Get Great Features With Microsoft Office 365 Home Promo Code
Author: Christine Bleakley
3. Identity And Access Management: 5 Reasons Your Company Needs It Today!
Author: William Davis
4. Secure Health Information: 6 Best Practices To Maintain Data Privacy
Author: William Davis
5. Professional Script Design Enhances The Success Of Your Hyip Business Online
6. Why To Opt Dell Printer Tech Support Service?
Author: Technical Support
7. Surface Pro 4 Promo Code To Save Up To $320 On Surface Pro 4 Essentials Bundles
Author: Christine Bleakley
8. Learn Sap Course In Online
Author: Mind Q Online
9. Norton Tech Support
Author: Norton Phone Number
10. Custom Web Solutions By Uship Clone Script 2017
Author: sawati rawat
11. The Hunting Apps For Android Make Life Interesting In The Wilderness
12. Instructions To Easy Way To Renew Your Own Mcafee Subscription Package
Author: Elina Jones
13. How To Fix The 1304 Error - Working Office Installation 1304 Error Fix
14. 8 Golden Success Secrets For Small Businesses
Author: Amenda Ray
15. Solutions To A Series Of Most Common Norton Installation Errors
Author: Andrew Clark