ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Annual Roof Maintenance: Taking Care Of Your Roof
Total Articles: 52
Annual preventative roof maintenance is the easiest way of taking care of your roof, to protect the most valuable physical asset you own – your home. A well-maintained roof system on the home not only keeps the family dry, but can increase its energy efficiency as well.
Over time, even a minor roof leak can cause a catastrophic failure during harsh environmental conditions, which can eventually promote the growth of harmful organisms including mold and mildew. When left untreated, a small leak in the roof can eventually degrade the home’s structural integrity and quickly deteriorate its interior and/or exterior.
Maintenance Is a Necessity
Property owners often recognize how important HVAC maintenance is to the comfort level of the home’s interior. However, most homeowner’s give little thought to roof system maintenance until a serious problem occurs. Waiting until a leak appears in the roof is often referred to as reactive maintenance, which often costs significantly more to repair than the price of an annual or biannual inspection to catch a small roofing issue.
Unfortunately, a small leak in the roof system can often create more serious problems than a major hole in the roof. This is because moisture will continuously come in contact with wood, gypsum, flooring materials, insulation, and other building materials causing deterioration and potential structural failure.
When insulation becomes wet, it quickly eliminates its R-value, or its ability to insulate against the heat of the summer, and the cold of the winter. In addition, wet insulation promotes the growth of harmful contaminants on organic surfaces while increasing the roof’s structural load. It also has the ability to rust roofing fasteners and cause significant damage to structural components including stucco, brick, concrete and wood on the building’s exterior.
Preventative Maintenance Program
To ensure that you are properly caring for your rooftop, you should consider implementing an annual or biannual roof maintenance program to safeguard the home and minimize the potential of costly repairs. A preventative maintenance program involves:
• The Inspection – This program often starts with an inspection where the contractor walks the roof surface, looking for any signs of deterioration, holes or damage, at least once every year. The inspector will evaluate wall flashing, the perimeter edge, terminations (termination bar, counter flashing, metal coping, etc.), stack and pipe flashing, curb flashing, fasteners, seams, caulking, etc.
• Documenting Deficiencies – Building a repair checklist, the inspector will detect and note deficiencies and take photographs of the top and underside of the roofing system, while marking any defective or disintegrating material that requires repair.
• Perform Repairs – Part of the maintenance program includes performing repairs, using quality materials and proven repair methods, to increase the roof’s longevity and minimize the potential of developing serious roofing issues.
Annual or biannual preventative maintenance by a licensed roofing contractor is an easy solution for taking care of your roof. Avoid reacting to serious roofing issues when they arise. Instead, incorporate an affordable, preventive maintenance program to protect the home against outdoor environments while maximizing the value of the house.
The topic of quality materials that go on your rooftop is something that I have a good knowledge of and I've written a few articles on this area. You can see some of my articles at my blog - Plastic Roofing Sheets
Home and Garden Articles1. Different Types Of Automatic Garage Door Openers And Their Safety Measure
Author: Micheal Smith
2. Starting A Gardening Business Franchise In Australia – Pros Or Cons
Author: Phil Maunder
3. Tips To Buy Or Hire Outdoor Heater
Author: Jessie Cooper
4. The Failure Reasons Of Automatic Garage Door
Author: Micheal Smith
5. 4 Amazing Tips For Better Lawn Care
Author: Michael Foley
6. Relocation Made Easy And Safe With Professional Moving Company
Author: Michael Holden
7. 6 Simple Tips To Get The Most Attractive Wooden Floors In Sunderland!
Author: Kevin Elliott
8. Add Excitement In The Space By Bringing Readymade Curtains
Author: Tanvi Gupta
9. Chest Of Drawers: The Perfect Piece Of Furniture For Storage And Decor
Author: Wooden Space
10. Top Kitchen Equipment Exporter
11. Diy Low Cost Cleaning Tips Shared By Best Sydney Apartment Cleaner
Author: Lucas Brown
12. Mosaics In Interior Designs
Author: Emily Stone
13. 5 Cheap Tips By Landscaper’s To Increase Value Of House In Inner West
Author: Ammy Hardson
14. Roof Cleaning – Make Your Home Exterior Beautiful
Author: Mike Aurtho
15. Energy Star Windows - Are They Worth It?
Author: Mary Morris