ALL >> Business >> View Article
Treating A Torn Meniscus Without Surgery
Total Articles: 230
Torn menisci are one of the most common injuries in the knee. They are especially common in those who participate in sports such as basketball, tennis and golf. Millions of people deal with a torn meniscus. So, what is a torn meniscus and how can it be treated?
The meniscus protects the knee from any stress caused by walking or exercising. A torn meniscus is when there is a tear in the cartilage between you shin and your thigh. This tear can be caused by forceful twisting of the knee such as a pivot or a sudden stop.
How to Prevent a Torn Meniscus
So, how can you avoid a meniscal tear and surgery? Unfortunately, sometimes a torn meniscus is unavoidable. It can be caused in sports by putting too much force on your knee.
However, there are a few things to be aware of when exercising or participating in sports. Pain management doctors at los angeles pain clinic recommend the following to help avoid a torn meniscus.
1. When doing squats, be gentle on your knees. Avoid excessive squats and don’t overdo it.
2. Be sure to stretch and strengthen your legs.
3. Use the proper technique when jumping, running, and pivoting. A quick twist of the knee can easily tear your meniscus.
4. When lifting weights, make sure you are working with a proper coach and have the correct technique.
The risk of a meniscal tear increases with age. The cartilage can wear due to simple exercises such as walking, or climbing stairs. With the increase of age, the cartilage can wear quicker and take longer to heal.
What are Treatment Options?
There are several treatments for a torn meniscus. These treatments include nonsurgical and physical therapy and surgery. The nonsurgical treatments include ice packs, heat, and elevation. These treatments can temporarily relieve the pain and swelling caused by the tear in the knee. However, just using these options will not permanently heal your knee.
Physical therapy has recently been noted to help treat a torn meniscus. It is the only other option besides surgery. However, recent studies have proven that the exercises performed during physical therapy can be just as effective as surgery. Pain management doctors in Los Angeles want to help relieve your pain and treat your knee without using surgery. However, their treatment plan is based on what is best for you.
Steroid or cortisone injections may also be recommended to treat a torn meniscus. These injections are used to treat inflammation in the knee. This injection can also help lubricate the knee. Injections are not used to completely fix the torn meniscus. They are used to help swelling and temporarily alleviate the pain.
Surgery is the last option for treatment of a torn meniscus and will be the last resort if the patient is still experiencing pain after trying the above treatments. Surgery will help repair the damage by removing the torn part of the knee or removing the entire meniscus. Pain management doctors try to avoid surgery as much as possible by creating the best customized treatment plan for you.
If you are experiencing any type of knee pain, you should seek treatment from a pain management doctor in Los Angeles. They will diagnose your condition and give you the proper treatment. If you do participate in sports, be sure to stretch and use the best technique to avoid a meniscal tear.
Business Articles1. Best Lawn Mowing Maitland - Fox Mowing Nsw
Author: Gerry Caxton
2. Older Video Tapes Can Be Easily Played In New Players
3. Hiring A Professional For Creating Digital Videos
4. Best App To Buy Stocks
Author: Ahrvo Web
5. Btech Admissions, Eligibility, Fee & Placements
6. Accommodation And Tourist Activities
7. Great Things About Solar Equipment Leasing
Author: Ross Barkely
8. חיתוך בירושלים
Author: DOMER YAK
9. How To Reach Your Target Audience
Author: For more details on our products and services, ple
10. The India Top Education Blogs
Author: Education Portal
11. Kellyville General Practitioner
Author: Dinh Nguyen
12. How To Choose & Install Hardwood Floors
Author: Barry’s My Carpet Inc. is a family owned and opera
13. Hajj Packages With Shifting And Non Shifting Hotels
Author: Hafiz Ibrahim
14. Three Effective Business Communication Skills You Must Master
Author: christopher kaspar
15. Aumazing Community - Strength In Numbers Part - I
Author: visit us at fitness center boston, back bay best r