ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Roof Rats Are Prolific Daters
Total Articles: 37
Roof Rats can breed approximately 4 times a year and are what I affectionately call “heavy daters.” So if you have one roof rat, chances are pretty high, that you actually have a lot more than you think.
One of the first signs that you might have a Roof Rat in your home is the sound of chewing, gnawing, scratching, or running in the ceiling or walls of your home. A visual inspection of your home by a licensed, certified pest control professional can confirm whether or not there are any signs of Roof Rat activity by the presence of rodent droppings, urine stains (which are phosphorescent under a black light), chewed wiring, rub marks on rafters and studs from lanolin in the rat’s fur, tunnels in attic insulation and even the present of a nest.
Once it has been established that you do have Roof Rats in your home the next step is to have a pest control professional seal all the possible entry ways into the home from the exterior in order to prevent either entry by additional rats or escape by the ones that might be still in the attic or walls of your home. Now you may have gotten lucky and sealed all the rats out, but on the other hand you could have sealed them in.
At this point a trapping program is necessary to make sure any rats sealed in are caught and removed to prevent any changes of odor issues. Should any rats remain in your home after the sealing you are now in control and have a “captive” audience in that these remaining rats must eat the bait in the traps that will be installed inside your attic spaces.
The Roof Rats will no longer have access to food items such as citrus fruit, dog & cat food, vegetables, etc. available in your or your neighbor’s yard. The elimination of these so called “competing food stuffs will greatly enhance the trapping success.
Your attic is now ready for the installation of strong rodent snap traps which are superior traps to the old style bale traps in that they have a much quicker action and result in less escapism from the traps. To prevent rats from dragging a trap into an unreachable, un-retrievable area the traps are secured in place with either a small steel wire or a strong zip tie.
Roof Rats are very shy and “cagey” animals that use extreme caution when approaching any new object recently introduced into their environment. The rats make take a few days to check out the traps by urinating or defecation close to them and circling the traps before they approach the traps to take the bait.
Traps will be checked frequently after installation and all trapped rats are properly removed from your property. The traps are then reset, re-baited and placed back into service for a period of approximately three weeks which is usually an adequate time period to capture the entire population of roof rats in an attic.
If you have suspicions that Roof Rats may be active at your home contact Invader Pest Management in Glendale, AZ for a free inspection and quote for treatments.
Article Source: Invader.net
Home and Garden Articles1. 5 Steps You Must Take Today To Ensure Your Rugs Aren’t Ruined
Author: Mike Aurtho
2. Vanities From Repurposed Furniture
Author: Litts Plumbing
3. 4 Low-maintenance Kitchen Countertops That Can Stand The Kitchen Heat
Author: Christine Delongte
4. Buy Quality Industrial Coolers Online India To Maintain Cool And Fresh Airflow In The Industrial Fac
5. Most Professional And Renowned Residential And Commercial Plumbing Contractors
Author: Jack Ronald
6. House Cleaning Is An Imperative Task To Do
Author: Monika Zuzanska
7. 4 Benefits Of Curtains, Every Homeowner Should Know
Author: Nupur Tiwari
8. Cleaning Services Without Polluting The Environment
Author: Monika Zuzanska
9. The Commercial Gas Repair Sunshine Coast Is Your One Stop Shop To Resolve All Gas System Problems
10. Barnyard Dance In The Fairy Garden
Author: Lauren Kyes
11. Pros And Cons Of Replacing A Bathtub With A Shower
Author: Mary Morris
12. Kitchen Remodel Tips To Help You Achieve Your Dream Kitchen
Author: Mary Morris
13. 10-point Guide For Choosing Reliable Residential Cleaning Services
Author: Luckie Maid
14. Method For Pest Controlling
Author: Vivek Suthar
15. Hire A Professional To Get Spotless House Cleaning Services
Author: Ethan Symes