ALL >> Health >> View Article
Advantages Of Prk (photorefractive Keratectomy) Laser Eye SurgeryBy Expert Author: Brown Harris
PRK is a famous form of laser eye surgery. PRK means Photorefractive Keratectomy, a procedure that includes reshaping the cornea through utilization of laser. It is highly effective in reshaping the cornea to accomplish 20/20 or improvised vision. More than 80% of patients experience quality vision, and do not have to wear glasses or corrective lenses.
PRK differs from LASIK surgery as it utilizes the laser to shape the topmost part of cornea, instead of its below part. Unlike LASIK, there is no requirement to slice the top of cornea to create a hinged flap.
Usually, PRK laser eye surgery is best effective for patients having mild to moderate nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. There are lesser complications as there is minimal disruption to the corneal surface. Rarely, in LASIK surgery, the flap is removed entirely from the cornea rather than leaving it hinged, and it is also feasible for the patient to rub the eye after surgery and remove the flap as it is healing.
In PRK surgery, 20/20 vision is not accomplished for some months. PRK and LASIK eye surgery both generally cost the same, and the preliminary consultation is similar for both procedures. The eye surgeon requires a complete medical history and conducts several eye tests to ensure the patient’s good health and their eyes are appropriate for laser eye surgery. Afterwards a procedure date might be set.
In PRK laser procedure, the patients are given a local anesthesia. After its effect is achieved, laser beams are pulsed on the cornea’s top. This is continued till the cornea is reshaped as needed. A bandage identical to a contact lens is positioned on the eye and remains in place for several days in order to facilitate the healing procedure. Several follow-up visits to the eye surgeon are scheduled over the following months, and these visits are very crucial.
It may take many weeks for the patient’s vision to be restored, and during that time, it may alternate between clear and blurry vision. Some patients are required to wear glasses, especially at night. It is usually recommended that eye drops be utilized to maintain the moisture of eyes and minimize the infection risk. Also, it is not recommended for patients to drive a motor vehicle for many weeks post procedure. It may take minimum 6 weeks for best vision to be accomplished, and for some it might take 6 months.
It is very essential that you select a proficient ophthalmologist highly experienced in PRK laser eye surgery. In San Diego, Dr. Michael Tracy is the best board certified ophalmologist. At his Carlsbad Eye Care centre, he has successfully performed Laser Eye Surgery and different types of eye-related procedures and services and is specialized in refractive surgery like LASIK and PRK, and Dry Eye Syndrome treatment.
Health Articles1. Abortion Clinics Contingencies That You Need To Know!
Author: Kumar Swaminathan
2. The Berkeley Acupuncture Clinic – All You Need To Know About Acupuncture
Author: Bina Jangda
3. Braces In Calhoun
Author: James mercer
4. Remote-controlled Sensual Toys For Long Distance Love
Author: John Dugan
5. Newly Approved Study Tells Stem Cell Research & Therapy Works For Autism
Author: Nupur Jha
6. Weight Loss Pills - An Easy And Proven Way To Lose Weight
Author: Karanveer Rawat
7. How Restorative Dentistry Has Transformed People’s Lives?
Author: Ean Landen
8. How Are You Trying To Find The Best Cosmetic Dentist In Scottsdale, Az?
Author: Ellen Clarke
9. Can Aspirin Help In The Fight Against Pancreatic Cancer?
10. Herbal Supplements To Improve Testosterone And Male Stamina Safely
Author: Michael Jayden
11. Get To Know About Seven Unexpected Health Benefits Of Aromatherapy
Author: Manisha Nigam
12. These Sensual Mistakes Compromise Male Organ Health
Author: John Dugan
13. 4 Teeth Whitening Tips For A Whiter Smile
Author: Vikas Gowd
14. Ayurvedic Weight Loss Treatment To Burn Excess Body Fat Effectively
Author: Mitul Ranawat
15. Ayurvedic Treatment To Gain Weight And Increase Muscle Mass Safely
Author: Mitul Ranawat