ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Andaman And Nicobar Islands: Treasures For Historical Travellers
Total Articles: 400
Andaman tours have always been seen as wild beach holidays. Sure, with the crazy waves, serene beaches and spectacular marine and wildlife, it’s a tropical heaven. The history of these beautiful islands has always been something secondary, though. When you travel to Andaman, you stumble upon magnificent historical landmarks that reveal the history of these islands from a different era.
The footprint of this island on the Indian canvas is relatively small. Yet, it is neither absent nor insignificant. It has a strong voice and depth that still touches the heart of every Indian, even today. Here are some landmarks and the stories they convey.
• British regime and the trail behind
When it comes to Indian history, this is a relatively latest episode. But, when it comes to Andaman, is the one segment that redefined this group of islands and left resolute impact – cellular jail. In 1790, a penal colony was established in Andaman for offenders against British India. Though, it wasn’t primarily used as one till middle of 19th century; when Indians fought against British government in Indian Mutiny of 1857.
Since then, this jail has been the hotbed of political criminals. The freedom fighters were sent to Andaman Islands for life sentence. Today, this cellular jail is a historical attraction and poignant memory of the freedom fighters, who enslaved their lives for the dream of Independent India. The extreme hours of labour, unhealthy living environment and atrocious brutalities of the era are elegantly shown in and light and sound show. Yet, it is much more than a tale of sacrifice. Because, every labour, sacrifice and capital punishment brought India closer to the joyous victory and freedom, most take for granted today.
• Yesteryear people, kingdoms and more
The earliest known archaeological evidence suggests that the first inhabitants of these islands were Middle Palaeolithic – the Old Stone Age human beings. Ptolemy has the first reference to Andaman in the written documentation, whereas the next documentation is seen in 7th century when Xuang Zang travelled to Andaman. Andaman has Anthropological Museum - which contains items indigenous to these islands. It’s a must visit for history lovers on Andaman tour.
There are an old mill, local tribal artefacts and few other museums, which would be such perfect places to visit for people who have passion for history. Yet, the local marine life is just so exquisite in a dive and on the plate as well. The ships above the water are great for sailing and yachting and ships below the water are perfect dive sites for scuba diving. So, indulge in your passion and Andaman Islands would tell you equally stimulating stories.
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves travelling to Andaman to pursue his passion. He recently travelled in various parts of India and his albums are replete with pictures of his tour to Andaman.
Travel Articles1. Fishpond Taxi Or Clifton Taxi – Delivering Maximum Convenience For The Clients!
Author: Michel Umer
2. Restaurant La Source – La Source Restaurant In Paris Is All Set To Cater You In The Most Unique Way!
Author: Ano Nymous
3. Shuttle Service From Honolulu Airport To Hotels & 4 Best Accommodations For Travelers
Author: Trung Tran
4. What Does The Inclusion Of A Kitchen In A Hotel Room Mean To The Hotel Industry?
Author: The Lotus
5. Uganda – A Country Of Sheer Wildlife
6. Gorilla Tracking Etiquettes In Uganda
7. Looking For Cheap Flights To London? Find Low Cost Flights Here!
8. Looking Forward To Relax? Will Transport You To A Tranquil World
Author: Mr. Dave
9. Car Service In Dfw & List Of The Top Rated Restaurants In The Dfw Area
Author: Shakil Ahmed
10. What Places One Need To Visit During His Sahara Desert Tour?
Author: Mohamed El Galouti
11. Prom Parties With A Charter Bus In San Francisco
Author: Hire Charter Bus
12. Hemingway’s Cuba
Author: Stephen David
13. Canada Immigradation Consultants In Hyderabad
Author: visas permits
14. Enjoy Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing And Safari To Africa And Tanzania Wildebeest
15. How To Find Best Serviced Apartment Accommodation In Nairobi
Author: Sanajay SHah