ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Andaman And Nicobar Islands: Treasures For Historical Travellers
Total Articles: 400
Andaman tours have always been seen as wild beach holidays. Sure, with the crazy waves, serene beaches and spectacular marine and wildlife, it’s a tropical heaven. The history of these beautiful islands has always been something secondary, though. When you travel to Andaman, you stumble upon magnificent historical landmarks that reveal the history of these islands from a different era.
The footprint of this island on the Indian canvas is relatively small. Yet, it is neither absent nor insignificant. It has a strong voice and depth that still touches the heart of every Indian, even today. Here are some landmarks and the stories they convey.
• British regime and the trail behind
When it comes to Indian history, this is a relatively latest episode. But, when it comes to Andaman, is the one segment that redefined this group of islands and left resolute impact – cellular jail. In 1790, a penal colony was established in Andaman for offenders against British India. Though, it wasn’t primarily used as one till middle of 19th century; when Indians fought against British government in Indian Mutiny of 1857.
Since then, this jail has been the hotbed of political criminals. The freedom fighters were sent to Andaman Islands for life sentence. Today, this cellular jail is a historical attraction and poignant memory of the freedom fighters, who enslaved their lives for the dream of Independent India. The extreme hours of labour, unhealthy living environment and atrocious brutalities of the era are elegantly shown in and light and sound show. Yet, it is much more than a tale of sacrifice. Because, every labour, sacrifice and capital punishment brought India closer to the joyous victory and freedom, most take for granted today.
• Yesteryear people, kingdoms and more
The earliest known archaeological evidence suggests that the first inhabitants of these islands were Middle Palaeolithic – the Old Stone Age human beings. Ptolemy has the first reference to Andaman in the written documentation, whereas the next documentation is seen in 7th century when Xuang Zang travelled to Andaman. Andaman has Anthropological Museum - which contains items indigenous to these islands. It’s a must visit for history lovers on Andaman tour.
There are an old mill, local tribal artefacts and few other museums, which would be such perfect places to visit for people who have passion for history. Yet, the local marine life is just so exquisite in a dive and on the plate as well. The ships above the water are great for sailing and yachting and ships below the water are perfect dive sites for scuba diving. So, indulge in your passion and Andaman Islands would tell you equally stimulating stories.
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves travelling to Andaman to pursue his passion. He recently travelled in various parts of India and his albums are replete with pictures of his tour to Andaman.
Travel Articles1. Numerous Benefits Of Hiring Dfw Airport Taxi Or Shuttle Service In Texas!
Author: Shaik Hossain
2. Guided Tours To The Magical Hobbiton From Tauranga
Author: Roger Simister
3. How To Enjoy Great Facilities With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Daisy Wilkinson
4. Stylish Rides And Low Prices With Limousine Washington Dc
Author: Stylish rides and low prices with Limousine Washin
5. Plan Your Vacation To Luton Airport- Hire Great Britain Cars
Author: jack pero
6. Rajasthan’s Top Tourist Attractions To Visit In Summer Season
Author: Swati Jain
7. Travel The Unforgettable Experience Of Africa’s Amazing Botswana And Serengeti Balloon Safaris
Author: Ombeni African Safari
8. Top Places That Compel A Solo Explorer To Travel In India
Author: Aura Voyages
9. Latin America Tourism Is Booming And Tour Operator Offers The Best Advice To Get The Most Of It!
Author: Anna Avanesova
10. Book Your Hoi An Hotel From Us
Author: Ms. Emma Tran
11. Enjoy A Variety Of Benefits With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
12. 4 Things That You Can Only Buy In Turkey
13. Get Married In San Antonio With A Wedding Party Bus San Antonio
Author: Cheap Limo Service DC
14. 3 Quirkiest Bars In Melbourne That Are Straight Out Of Your Dreams
15. Wedding Guest Transportation In Phoenix Charter Bus Rental
Author: Hire Charter Bus