ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Songkran Festival: All You Need To Know About Thai New Year
Total Articles: 50
What would you think if a stranger came up to you in the street and threw water on you? Under normal circumstances you probably wouldn’t be best pleased, but that’s exactly what happens all over Thailand on Thai New Year (Songkran), when cities across the country turn into one giant water fight.
Fortunately, Songkran occurs just when Thailand is at its hottest - around the 12th – 16th April – when Bangkok Flights are in high demand. In this period of the year, temperatures reach as high as 35 degrees during the day so a Songkran soaking is usually a welcome relief.
Why do Thais throw water to celebrate the New Year?
It symbolises ‘cleansing’ or ‘rejuvenating’; that is, washing away the misfortunes and struggles of the previous year and symbolises ‘refreshing’ the person’s life for the year to come. Some Thais also mark the festival by smearing coloured powder on people in a similarly indiscriminate fashion.
Just like in the west, many Thais make New Year’s resolutions with the intention of keeping them for the year ahead. Songkran is also the catalyst for bouts of house cleaning around the country.
Traditionally Songkran was about paying respects to elders and there are still a significant amount of people that make an early morning trip to the temples to make merit and bathe the monks. Anyone celebrating Songkran as a Buddhist festival will go to at least one wat (monastery) during the festival, with some making visits to as many as nine wats around Bangkok.
In the past, Songkran was held in accordance with the lunar calendar but it’s now celebrated within the aforementioned fixed dates. The exact dates will vary depending on what part of the country you’re in - certain areas will extend the celebration to a full week.
Songkran in Bangkok
The Thai capital is usually a hive of activity but the start of Songkran marks a mass exodus from the city as many people return home to their families outside the city. It’s estimated that around half of Bangkok’s population will leave for Songkran. The city’s big shopping malls remain open but many offices and banks will shut down for the week.
Despite almost half the population leaving, that doesn’t mean Songkran in Bangkok is a let-down; after all, there are still over 3 million people in the city. Silom near Pat Pong is particularly lively with most of the 5km long street taken up with young Thais spraying water at each other. Even the local fire trucks have been known to join in with their powerful hoses.
Backpacker hotspot Khao San Road is another wild place to enjoy Songkran with DJs under waterproof screens lining the street. Meanwhile, the Wisutkasat area even holds its own Miss Songkran Beauty contest to mark the festival every year.
Globehunters Top Tips for Songkran
1) Keep your camera in a waterproof bag - or better yet, bring a waterproof camera
2) Bring a water pistol to defend yourself!
3) Cheaper public transport is not safe from the soakings. Tuk-tuks and regular buses with the windows down are still likely to get soaked
4) Be prepared to get soaked – and dress accordingly!
5) Don’t throw icy or dirty water
Travel Articles1. Finding Spot For Organizing School Picnic Has Become Easy
2. Irving Taxi Service Gives The Best Transport Service For Your Weekend Trip
Author: Irving Instant Cab
3. Choose Vacation Home Rentals Jasper Ar For Limitless Excitement
Author: Kirby Burk
4. Petra Tours - A Useful Guide For First-timers
5. Assisted Tour Package Prove As The Best To Explore The Face Of Rajasthan
Author: Colourful Indian Holidays
6. Charisma Of Affordable Christchurch Holiday Package
Author: Damien McConnell
7. Benefits To Hire Personal Driver Nyc Services
Author: Robert Anhouse
8. Show Proper Significance With A Limousine Rental In Atlanta
Author: John Anderson
9. For Covering Long Distances Choose The Premium Cab Service Provider
Author: John Watson
10. Impress The In-laws With Cheap Car Service Houston
Author: MARK Jones
11. 4 Popular And Best Foods To Eat When In South Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
12. 4 Best Beaches In Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
13. How To Plan Vacation Tours In Croatia
Author: Alfred Hunter
14. Stylish And Purposeful Wedding Arrangements For Limousine Service In Minneapolis
Author: john wick
15. If Planning A Home Relocation, Leave Entire Household To Moving Services Richmond Va
Author: Stewart Moving & Storage