ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Songkran Festival: All You Need To Know About Thai New Year
Total Articles: 50
What would you think if a stranger came up to you in the street and threw water on you? Under normal circumstances you probably wouldn’t be best pleased, but that’s exactly what happens all over Thailand on Thai New Year (Songkran), when cities across the country turn into one giant water fight.
Fortunately, Songkran occurs just when Thailand is at its hottest - around the 12th – 16th April – when Bangkok Flights are in high demand. In this period of the year, temperatures reach as high as 35 degrees during the day so a Songkran soaking is usually a welcome relief.
Why do Thais throw water to celebrate the New Year?
It symbolises ‘cleansing’ or ‘rejuvenating’; that is, washing away the misfortunes and struggles of the previous year and symbolises ‘refreshing’ the person’s life for the year to come. Some Thais also mark the festival by smearing coloured powder on people in a similarly indiscriminate fashion.
Just like in the west, many Thais make New Year’s resolutions with the intention of keeping them for the year ahead. Songkran is also the catalyst for bouts of house cleaning around the country.
Traditionally Songkran was about paying respects to elders and there are still a significant amount of people that make an early morning trip to the temples to make merit and bathe the monks. Anyone celebrating Songkran as a Buddhist festival will go to at least one wat (monastery) during the festival, with some making visits to as many as nine wats around Bangkok.
In the past, Songkran was held in accordance with the lunar calendar but it’s now celebrated within the aforementioned fixed dates. The exact dates will vary depending on what part of the country you’re in - certain areas will extend the celebration to a full week.
Songkran in Bangkok
The Thai capital is usually a hive of activity but the start of Songkran marks a mass exodus from the city as many people return home to their families outside the city. It’s estimated that around half of Bangkok’s population will leave for Songkran. The city’s big shopping malls remain open but many offices and banks will shut down for the week.
Despite almost half the population leaving, that doesn’t mean Songkran in Bangkok is a let-down; after all, there are still over 3 million people in the city. Silom near Pat Pong is particularly lively with most of the 5km long street taken up with young Thais spraying water at each other. Even the local fire trucks have been known to join in with their powerful hoses.
Backpacker hotspot Khao San Road is another wild place to enjoy Songkran with DJs under waterproof screens lining the street. Meanwhile, the Wisutkasat area even holds its own Miss Songkran Beauty contest to mark the festival every year.
Globehunters Top Tips for Songkran
1) Keep your camera in a waterproof bag - or better yet, bring a waterproof camera
2) Bring a water pistol to defend yourself!
3) Cheaper public transport is not safe from the soakings. Tuk-tuks and regular buses with the windows down are still likely to get soaked
4) Be prepared to get soaked – and dress accordingly!
5) Don’t throw icy or dirty water
Travel Articles1. Dfw Airport Shuttle Service & Other Options - Know Why They Are Best For Airport Ride
Author: Shaik Hossain
2. Cheap Boat Rental In Miami – Things You Should Know
Author: Pavel Pinchuk
3. Apply For An Australian Eta Visa
Author: Patricia Ehic
4. How Can A Taxi App Benefit An Existing Taxi Operator?
5. Holidays At Nepal Himalaya
Author: Sudip Shahi
6. Kerala Holidays Packages – Enjoy The Amazing Natural Beauty
Author: Top Travel
7. Angola Tourist Visa For Indian Citizens
Author: Dinesh Varma
8. Visit Interesting Attractions During Your New York Holidays
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
9. 10 Travel Tips For Your First Trip To Turkey
Author: Archis Roy
10. Why Should You Book Galveston Transportation For Your Vacation?
Author: Phillip Mihatov
11. Wedding Transportation Fulfilled In Washington Dc Via Limousine In Dc
Author: Wedding Transportation Fulfilled in Washington DC
12. Taxi Services In Dehradun, Dehradun Taxi Service
13. Make Your Tour Outstanding With India Holiday Packages
Author: Tree Trunk Travel
14. Enjoy The Combination Of The Remote Valley On Choosing This Trekking Service
15. Enjoy Everest Base Camp Trek With Best Travelling Experience