ALL >> Health >> View Article
Spondylolysis Verses Spondylosis
Total Articles: 38
You know, these terms have confused lots of patients and their loved ones. In fact, with similar names and pronunciation, they may seem the same to normal people. But, they are very different when it comes to symptoms.
Understand the spinal ailments
Spondylolysis is a defect of vertebrae. This defect is found in the pars interarticularis of the vertebral arch. In majority of cases, this is found in the lower back rather than in the thoracic region. The occurrence of this spinal ailment is higher in athletes participating in:
Spondylosis, on the other hand, is degenerating osteoarthritis of the joints. Also known as Spondyloarthritis, this ailment refers to severe pain and spine degeneration.
Understand the patients
Though, it is not set in stone, Spondylolysis is more common among children and young adults. On the other hand, the degenerative ailment is more common among the old people as they are far more susceptible to spine degeneration.
Understand the treatments
Both the diseases have surgical and non-surgical forms of treatments available for the patients. There are few common non-surgical treatments such as:
• Physical therapy
• Medications such as NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti- Inflammatory Drugs)
• Pain relievers
Though, they seem same, the form of utilization is different as the illnesses are poles apart from each other. In addition to these treatments, there are few other options that are exclusive treatments for these ailments specifically.
Treatments for Spondylolysis:
The non-surgical option is bracing. However, you can also use surgical options for effective treatment of Spondylolysis. In most cases, you would be surprised to find them unnecessary, though.
• Posterior Lumbar Fusion: This is a spinal fusion surgery, where you would fuse two vertebrae together. This surgery enters the patient’s body from back side and completely fuses the defected vertebrae.
• Laminectomy: This surgery removes the bony rings of the vertebrae and releases the pressure. As the release of this pressure eases the nerve compression in Radiculopathy or Cauda equina syndrome, which can be caused by progressing the degenerative changes of this ailment.
Treatment for Spondylosis:
The most common non-surgical options are
• Chiropractic manipulative therapy,
• osteopathic manipulative treatment,
• massage therapy,
• trigger point therapy
• Cervical facet joint injections
• Cervical epidural steroid injections
• Transforaminal injections
Surgical options are also available. However, they are suggested only if the patient fails to respond to conservative therapy options successfully. The surgical Spondylosis treatments available are:
• Anterior cervical discectomy
• Cervical laminectomy
• Prosthetic intervertebral disc replacement
Dr Garima Anandani (P.T.), CMP, Dip. MDT
Head- Clinical Operations, Qi Spine Clinic
Dr Anandani is the first clinician from India to qualify for the prestigious Diploma in M.D.T. from The McKenzie Institute International and University of Otago. She has acquired specialized training in Spine rehabilitation from St David's Spine and Sports Therapy, Austin, Texas (USA) and from The Polyclinic, Seattle (USA). She is also one of the few Certified Mulligan Practitioners in India, with over 14 years of clinical experience in handling musculoskeletal disorders.
Health Articles1. Must Ask Questions When Meeting A Dentist
Author: Donnell Nash
2. Natural Skincare And Beauty Supplements For Healthy And Glowing Skin
Author: NAVEEN KHANDELWAL
3. What To Look For A Dentist?
Author: Donnell Nash
4. Can Bpas Damage A Healthy Member?
Author: John Dugan
5. Sticking To Healthy Habits With The Help Of Yoga
Author: Gary Martin
6. Raise Your Efforts With Weight Gainer Supplements
Author: Anabolic Nutrition
7. Signs To Look Out For If You Have A Prolapsed Uterus
Author: Kalptaru Herbal Therapy Centre
8. A Glass Of Milk A Day Keeps Doctor Away
Author: Namit Malgaonkar
9. The Hearing Aids Siemens Are Available In Best Quality And Price To Restore Your Hearing Ability
10. Superfood Supplements- For All Your Nutrition Needs
Author: Shashi Kant Shukla
11. Dental Hygiene Information You Won't Locate In Other Places
Author: Bob Smith
12. Getting Knee Pain Treatment At Parijatak
Author: Dr. Nitesh Khonde
13. Is Invisalign The Right Treatment For Adults?
Author: James Franklin
14. 1st Global Community Of Indian Clinicians - Docstop
Author: Vijay Lokhande
15. Hypothyroidism Rampant In India - Freedom Age
Author: Dr Kalpana Gupta Sekhawat