ALL >> Health >> View Article
Orlistat Is A Medicine That Can Help You To Lose Weight
Total Articles: 28
Therapeutic Classification : Antiobesity Drug
Orlistat is used for :
Managing obesity in overweight adults. It may also be used to reduce the risk of weight regain after previous weight loss. It is used along with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet.
Mechanism of action : This medication is a lipase inhibitor, prescribed for obesity in adults. It works by blocking the digestion of fats from the diet.
The recommended dose is 1 capsule (60-mg) with each meal .
Do NOT use if:
• you are allergic to any ingredient in orlistat
• you are pregnant
• you are not overweight
• you have bile flow problems (eg, cholestasis) or problems absorbing food (malabsorption)
• underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney stones/problems (such as calcium oxalate kidney stones, hyperoxaluria), certain eating disorders (anorexia nervosa/bulimia).
• If you are diabetic, weight loss may improve your blood sugar control. Be sure to check your blood sugar regularly and tell your doctor the results. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.
Before using orlistat :
Some medical conditions may interact with this drug. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
• if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
• if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
• if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
• if you have an eating disorder (eg, anorexia, bulimia)
• if you have a history of gallbladder, kidney, liver, pancreas, or thyroid problems; diabetes; or kidney stones
• if you are taking medicine for diabetes or thyroid problems, or if you take any other medicines for weight loss
• if you have received an organ transplant
MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with this medication.
Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
• Cyclosporine or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by orlistat
How to use :
• Take the capsule by mouth with each meal. Do not take more than 3 capsules daily.
• If a meal is missed or contains no fat, do not take a dose of drug.
• It may decrease your absorption of vitamins. Take a multivitamin once a day at bedtime.
• If you also take a thyroid hormone (eg, levothyroxine), do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking orlistat.
• If you also take cyclosporine, do not take it within 3 hours before or after taking orlistat.
• If you miss a dose , skip the missed dose.
Side effects :
Gastrointestinal - Oily spotting, loose stools, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and loss of appetite.
Central Nervous System - Headache and anxiety.
Miscellaneous - Irregular periods, dark colored urine, hives, rash, itching and difficulty in breathing.
Store between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Keep away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Hi everyone, this is Jack Alexander from UK. I am completed P.HD in pharmacy. I do lots of work in pharmacy but now I am working in pillssupplier.com. I also write blog on all health related product like Zithromax, Nexium online, PrestiQ, paxil, calcium, zyven etc.
Health Articles1. Popularity Of Big Breasts In The 21st Century!
Author: Pankaj Singhal
2. Anti Aging Treatment In Bangalore
3. Things About Ground Ambulance That You Must Know
Author: Amb Life
4. Few Reasons To Choose Dental Implants
Author: Nazila Nosratieh
5. What To Do If Your Hair Transplant Treatment Failed
Author: Pankaj Singhal
6. 7 Ways To Keep A Brilliant Attitude As A Caregiver
Author: Warren Winnipeg
7. Diet And Male Organ Function May Be Related
Author: John Dugan
8. Prp Skin Treatment – Breast Augmentation In Dubai Can Help You Achieve Natural Size Of The Breast!
Author: Abharan Dari
9. Top Benefits Of Choosing Dental Implants
Author: Wynona G. Ehret
10. Itchy Member Primer: Midsection Lice
Author: John Dugan
11. How ‘psychiatric’ And ‘power Of Psychiatrists’ Can Improve Your Life
12. An Orthodontist In San Bruno Explains Some Of The Benefits Of Invisalign
Author: Steve Irwin
13. Lecithin Supplements Can Support Your Liver Health, Your Nervous System, And Your Digestive System S
Author: oen thomson
14. Couples Counseling Therapy – Marriage Counseling Can Make A Big Difference For Both Of You!
Author: Dennis Tucker
15. Where To Start A Bathroom Remodel Functionality For Your Home
Author: Logan Daniel