ALL >> Health >> View Article
Orlistat Is A Medicine That Can Help You To Lose Weight
Total Articles: 28
Therapeutic Classification : Antiobesity Drug
Orlistat is used for :
Managing obesity in overweight adults. It may also be used to reduce the risk of weight regain after previous weight loss. It is used along with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet.
Mechanism of action : This medication is a lipase inhibitor, prescribed for obesity in adults. It works by blocking the digestion of fats from the diet.
The recommended dose is 1 capsule (60-mg) with each meal .
Do NOT use if:
• you are allergic to any ingredient in orlistat
• you are pregnant
• you are not overweight
• you have bile flow problems (eg, cholestasis) or problems absorbing food (malabsorption)
• underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney stones/problems (such as calcium oxalate kidney stones, hyperoxaluria), certain eating disorders (anorexia nervosa/bulimia).
• If you are diabetic, weight loss may improve your blood sugar control. Be sure to check your blood sugar regularly and tell your doctor the results. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.
Before using orlistat :
Some medical conditions may interact with this drug. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
• if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
• if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
• if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
• if you have an eating disorder (eg, anorexia, bulimia)
• if you have a history of gallbladder, kidney, liver, pancreas, or thyroid problems; diabetes; or kidney stones
• if you are taking medicine for diabetes or thyroid problems, or if you take any other medicines for weight loss
• if you have received an organ transplant
MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with this medication.
Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
• Cyclosporine or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by orlistat
How to use :
• Take the capsule by mouth with each meal. Do not take more than 3 capsules daily.
• If a meal is missed or contains no fat, do not take a dose of drug.
• It may decrease your absorption of vitamins. Take a multivitamin once a day at bedtime.
• If you also take a thyroid hormone (eg, levothyroxine), do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking orlistat.
• If you also take cyclosporine, do not take it within 3 hours before or after taking orlistat.
• If you miss a dose , skip the missed dose.
Side effects :
Gastrointestinal - Oily spotting, loose stools, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and loss of appetite.
Central Nervous System - Headache and anxiety.
Miscellaneous - Irregular periods, dark colored urine, hives, rash, itching and difficulty in breathing.
Store between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Keep away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Hi everyone, this is Jack Alexander from UK. I am completed P.HD in pharmacy. I do lots of work in pharmacy but now I am working in pillssupplier.com. I also write blog on all health related product like Zithromax, Nexium online, PrestiQ, paxil, calcium, zyven etc.
Health Articles1. Must Ask Questions When Meeting A Dentist
Author: Donnell Nash
2. Natural Skincare And Beauty Supplements For Healthy And Glowing Skin
Author: NAVEEN KHANDELWAL
3. What To Look For A Dentist?
Author: Donnell Nash
4. Can Bpas Damage A Healthy Member?
Author: John Dugan
5. Sticking To Healthy Habits With The Help Of Yoga
Author: Gary Martin
6. Raise Your Efforts With Weight Gainer Supplements
Author: Anabolic Nutrition
7. Signs To Look Out For If You Have A Prolapsed Uterus
Author: Kalptaru Herbal Therapy Centre
8. A Glass Of Milk A Day Keeps Doctor Away
Author: Namit Malgaonkar
9. The Hearing Aids Siemens Are Available In Best Quality And Price To Restore Your Hearing Ability
10. Superfood Supplements- For All Your Nutrition Needs
Author: Shashi Kant Shukla
11. Dental Hygiene Information You Won't Locate In Other Places
Author: Bob Smith
12. Getting Knee Pain Treatment At Parijatak
Author: Dr. Nitesh Khonde
13. Is Invisalign The Right Treatment For Adults?
Author: James Franklin
14. 1st Global Community Of Indian Clinicians - Docstop
Author: Vijay Lokhande
15. Hypothyroidism Rampant In India - Freedom Age
Author: Dr Kalpana Gupta Sekhawat