ALL >> Health >> View Article
Cure Slip Disc With Non-surgical Treatments
Total Articles: 38
A slip disc, which is scientifically known as Spinal disc herniation, is a spinal condition, wherein the inner soft spinal portion bulges out of the outer vertebrae in the neck region. This bulging, however, can occur in any part of spine. There are, however, quite a few non-surgical treatments for spinal disc herniation.
Non-surgical options for Slip disc treatment:
• Physiotherapy: One of the strategies for effective recovery is to maintain a healthy body, which facilitates the process of the inner soft portion returning to its normal space. Though this return is gradual and takes four to six weeks, spinal specialists facilitate it with the right non-surgical support. So, physiotherapists use several methods to keep the patient active and strengthen the muscles of his or her body. So, choices for treatment are massage therapy, spinal manipulation, etc. The programme must be customized to cater to your particular medical case. However the options for the consideration are:
5. Electrical stimulation
7. Heat or ice
• Medication: There are several types of medicines for a slip disc. Spinal specialist’ recommendations will vary from case to case as per the severity, pain, previous injuries, etc. Most options include:
1. Analgesics: Firstly, most people will need some form of pain killers.
2. NSAIDs: Most spinal ailments require stronger pain relievers that reduce the inflammation. Most spinal specialists prescribe Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs for this purpose.
3. Codeines: These are much stronger pills for patients, who haven’t responded to milder pain relievers.
4. Corticosteroids: These are oral and injections of steroids. These are used for reducing swelling and inflammation. The injections are often given on the affected area of spine for accurate and immediate effect.
5. Muscle relaxants: These kinds of pills are prescribed if you are having muscle spasms due to slip disc.
• Acupuncture: This is an alternative form of therapy. While it is not scientifically proven to be an option for a slip disc, it works well with certain patients and provides significant relief.
• Laser therapy: This is an experimental option for the treatment as of today. The effectiveness of this treatment has been seen in certain cases. But it is not scientifically verified, yet, making it essential to first consult an expert. Statistically it is also seen as a temporary treatment, but can be a cost-effective treatment option for slip disc patients.
If these options don’t help, surgical options are always available. As the number of effective non-surgical options grow, though, the cost of treatment and recovery remains affordable for common people. Though, it is not a primary criterion for selection of these non-invasive treatments, it is one of the important considerations
Dr Garima Anandani (P.T.), CMP, Dip. MDT
Head- Clinical Operations, Qi Spine Clinic
Dr Anandani is the first clinician from India to qualify for the prestigious Diploma in M.D.T. from The McKenzie Institute International and University of Otago. She has acquired specialized training in Spine rehabilitation from St David's Spine and Sports Therapy, Austin, Texas (USA) and from The Polyclinic, Seattle (USA). She is also one of the few Certified Mulligan Practitioners in India, with over 14 years of clinical experience in handling musculoskeletal disorders.
Health Articles1. Stress Attack - Why You Will Need Help Now!
2. Hypnotherapy For Depressive Disorder For Permanent Results
3. How To Handle Stress And Manage Avoidance
4. Easy Ways Of Managing Your Anxiety
5. Best Choices For Severe Depressive Management
6. Anxiety Management During Stress
7. Anxiety Management - Four Tricks You Can Start Using Today
8. Dry Rubbing And The Death Grip: Self-pleasuring Problems To Avoid
Author: John Dugan
9. Neck, Shoulder And Pain Management
Author: Mahesh Singh
10. Old Age Home Provides Love , Respect And ,carefree Life To Senior Citizens
Author: shiv ganga senior
11. Technology In Medical Industry
12. How Many Sessions For Tattoo Removal?
Author: hifza nauman
13. Where To Buy Phentermine 37.5 Mg Online In Oregon
14. Aromatic Revival Of Mind, Body And Soul With Therapeutic Massage
Author: Vicky Mamoria
15. 5 Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Energy
Author: Jane Doe