ALL >> Career >> View Article
Mistakes To Avoid While Looking For A Job
Total Articles: 49
With the economy still far from recovered, it's still just as difficult to find a job as almost a decade ago. To up your chances of landing a job, there are innumerable things that you need to do. To narrow it down, it's sometimes better to identify the things to avoid doing instead. Here are a few mistakes you shouldn't do on your job hunt.
Not Knowing the Company By Heart
By studying the company you wish to work for, you're equipped with a better understanding of how they do things. This gives them an impression that you will be a good fit to the company since you already know their operations and will be easy to train.
Not Editing Your Resume
Since your curriculum vitae is rarely looked at until your actual job interview, make sure to use it to your advantage. By only putting in the most relevant skills, you can emphasize how much of a good fit you are to the company during your job interview.
Not Watching Your Social Media Accounts
One of the things that companies do before hiring you is checking out your online presence. If you have a LinkedIn account, make sure to update it. Some may even try to add you as a Facebook friend, and if your wall is littered with things such as making derogatory remarks about other ethnicities, then it may be enough for companies to write you off as a potential employee.
Not Watching Your Stress Levels
The stress levels of having a job can only be matched by the stress levels of trying to have a job. Every time you don't get a call back from a company you applied for, just follow up once then move on and keep applying for other companies. Don't mull over what you did wrong for too long. A call for a job post can take months to arrive. Live your life as normal.
Not Knowing Confidence From Over-Confidence
From here on, it's up to how the interview goes whether you get the job or not. Once you get to the interview portion, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind as well. For one, try to strike a balance between modesty and confidence. Appearing overly shy will make you look like someone who can't work as part of a team. Appearing too confident will make you look too bossy, and still can't work as part of a team.
Not Watching How You Talk
Also, don't hog all the talking time during interviews. Don't say too much other than what was asked of you, as saying too much can lead you to say a lot of irrelevant things. Don't badmouth your previous company even if it's what your interviewer seems to want to hear. Ask questions and have your interviewer speak just as much as you do. Keep these things in mind, and you'll soon have the job you've wanted for a long time.
Not Going Offline
It's easy to find a lot of job listings and recruitment agencies online. Also, most companies post their job vacancies on their page as soon as they need it. Still it is not a good idea to spend all your energy doing online job searches and applications. Sometimes it's still a good idea to go old school and ring up some of these companies even if they don't have any vacancies. You never know if you're going to bump into an actual vacancy that isn't listed online. Besides, it's better to have direct connections to potential employers as opposed to attending countless job fairs.
Find jobs a lot easier by visiting the correct sites. MarksSattin Singapore offers information on hard-to-land jobs such as risk management jobs.
Career Articles1. Important Things To Know Before Joining An Nda Coaching Center
2. You Might Want To Teach English In Chiang Mai
Author: Guillaume Smith
3. Contact Professional Event Management Companies In Dubai To Hire Temporary Event Staff For Your Bran
4. Do You Want To Become A Community Care Worker
5. Keeping Your Child Safe Takes Considerable Effort
6. What You Need To Know Before Teaching English Abroad
Author: Guillaume Smith
7. Facts To Remember Before Seeking Tefl Jobs Abroad
Author: Guillaume Smith
8. Logo Designing: Hire A Designer To Make Inroads Into The Business World
Author: Kartik Patel
9. Preparation Methodology To Crack Has Exam 2017
Author: Mahender Singh
10. Find Tesol Jobs In China Online
11. Esl Teaching Jobs In China Offer Best Career Opportunities For International Professionals
12. Knowledge Retention | The Necessary And Sufficient Condition For Enhanced Productivity
Author: Ed Sherly
13. Choose English Teaching Jobs In China For Bright Career Opportunities
14. With A Variety Of Options For Digital Marketing Institute, Professionalism Is Just Few Steps Away!
Author: Snehal Desai
15. Excel In Your Career As A Hadoop Programmer With Webtek Labs