ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Anti Slip Stair Nosing The “facts”
Total Articles: 11
What is Stair Nosing?
Stair Nosing’s are profiled strips of material that are fitted on the edge of steps. They are attached using adhesive, screws and bolts or a combination of the three. They are general y made from metal or plastic and have an upper surface that provides an anti slip/ grip function to the edge of the step.
They usually span at least 80% of the width of the step and should provide a visual contrast between step edge and surrounding step surfaces. Step nosing will also protect the step edges from damage.
Providing they are chosen and attached correctly, the profile of the nosing will not interfere with normal climb or decent
Types of stair nosing:
The most suitable and effective non slip for stairs will be influenced by the following factors:
level of anti slip function required
AS/NZS 4586:2004 code adherence
frequency of pedestrian traffic
color of steps
type and class of establishment
owners/ architects aesthetic preferences
average type of footwear worn
When Selecting Anti Slip Stair Nosing products it is important to ensure that the product has lasting proven performance, low maintenance, is esthetically pleasing, is suitability for use, and has replacement parts readily available.
researched thoroughly or left to the contractor to ensure all the above selection criteria will be met.
Galvanized steel with Carborundum coating, industrial use (external or fire stairs etc.)
Aluminum nosing with PVC or aluminum oxide insert, internal (commercial and domestic)
Plastic/Resin nosing with Carborundum coating, industrial (external public areas)
OH&s / Legal considerations
Standards Australia has classified slip resistance and locations/situations that must be met with new construction. These AS/NZS 4586:2004 standards should provide a minimum R13 ramp rating.
Duty of care compliance is necessary in existing buildings and should be considered critical as the majority of stair Falls result in significant injury, often requiring hospital attendance and regularly triggering in the victim ongoing pain and suffering.
If you of someone you know has experienced a slip or fall on stairs you know that confidence levels instantly drops. This is even more devastating for the elderly who often as a result of a stair fall will not want to use them again.
A significant percentage of our stair nosing work comes from aged care facilities and retirement villages, where not only is traction important but also high contrast from the stair riser and step for visually impaired residents.
The most common problems we see Is the DIY installation, where the handyman has opted for the easy fitted adhesive strips. These strips when laid correctly will give great performance for the first few months, however adhesives and the strips themselves are not capable of withstand constant use. Within a short time the edges start to lift and what started out as “solving a safety concern” rapidly deteriorates into a trip hazard, and the last place you want a trip hazard is on stairs.
Home and Garden Articles1. Decorate Your Events With Orchid Flowers
2. Fire Extinguisher Servicing - Guidance On Maintenance Fire Fighting Equipment
3. What Fire Extinguisher Serving May Do For You
4. Fireplace Extinguisher Maintenance Is A Necessary Fire Security Measure
5. Get The New Look Kitchen Cabinet The Easiest Way
Author: David Richard
6. Best Tips For Plant Maintenance In Philadelphia During Wintertime
Author: Michele Sokoloff
7. How To Protect Garden Plants This Summer?
Author: BK Vijay
8. Advantages Of Hiring A Gardener Services
Author: Georgina L Allen
9. Factors Influencing The Price Of An Air Conditioner
Author: Priya Sharma
10. 6 Simple Mower Maintenance Tips
Author: Michael Foley
11. 5 Realistic Tips To Identify The Best Moving And Storage Companies
Author: Michael Holden
12. How To Hire One Of The Best Moving Companies In New York
Author: Michael Holden
13. Using The Whip Cream Dispenser For The Food To Be Tastier With Versatility
Author: Kathy Richy
14. Common Carpet Cleaning Mistakes, You Want To Avoid To Extend The Lifespan Of Your Carpet
Author: Nick Koych
15. Permit You To Experience Again The Special Features Of A Floors Service Provider
Author: Partha Goswami