ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Second District Court Of Appeal Overturns Lower Court's Ruling Based On Illegal Search
Total Articles: 1
In the case of Forman v. State, the Court of Appeal reversed defendant's conviction & sentence for possessing cocaine in an occurrence stemming from an automobile accident. The defendant was traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in a car accident where the driver of that car was not at fault. After arriving as backup at the scene of the accident, a police officer saw defendant sitting in the front passenger seat of the car. The police officer testified in court that defendant was rocking back & forth in the seat and that he ordered defendant to exit the vehicle for officer safety. In his testimony, the officer was not to give any particular facts to justify his concern for officer safety. Defendant initially refused, but the officer ordered the defendant to get out of the vehicle. When the defendant was out of the car, the police officer noticed a bulge in defendant's waistband, searched him, & located cocaine. The defendant filed a motion to suppress at trial, but it was denied.
On appeal, the circuit court noted that, if defendant had been traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that had been legally stopped, the trial court would have been correct in denying defendant's motion to suppress. However, in this case the vehicle had been involved in a automobile accident and was not lawfully stopped. The District Court of Appeal based their ruling on the holding in Miranda v State. Miranda held that an officer cannot order a party to exit a vehicle without having reasonable suspicion that a crime has occurred. Therefore, the court overturned the denial of the defendant's motion and ordered the trial court to vacate his judgment and sentence.
For more information on DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL , Criminal Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL and DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL you can contact us at: The Law Offices of Michael A. Dye, PA 1 E Broward Blvd # 700, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Legal Articles1. Knowing About The Factors And Damage Awards For Wrongful Death
Author: MICHAEL T. FRIEDMAN
2. Simple Steps To Encourage Estate Planning
Author: Probate Lawyer
3. Contact Criminal Defense Lawyer Houston To Safeguard Your Legal Interests
4. How To Find Best Dui Lawyer In New Jersey
Author: Michael Curtis Greenberg
5. Legal Agreement Template
6. Bail Bonds Services Might Help Create A Stressful Time Easier
7. Answering The Question About The Working Of Immigration Lawyer
Author: Kri Law
8. All You Need To Know About The Truck Accidents Attorney
Author: Bkr Law
9. Why To Sought The Assistance Of Truck Accident Lawyer?
Author: Sgro Law
10. Is Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney/lawyer Really Necessary?
Author: MICHAEL T. FRIEDMAN
11. Be Served For The Better In Hiring Car Accident Attorney/lawyer
Author: JON ALAN LAFFERTY
12. Tips On How To Settle Your Slip And Fall Claim
13. Three Things To Look For In A Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Author: Marcus McGowan
14. How Oklahoma Business Lawyers Can Help You With Gun Trust Law
15. Arizona's Dog Bite Laws And How To Protect Yourself