ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Second District Court Of Appeal Overturns Lower Court's Ruling Based On Illegal Search
Total Articles: 1
In the case of Forman v. State, the Court of Appeal reversed defendant's conviction & sentence for possessing cocaine in an occurrence stemming from an automobile accident. The defendant was traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in a car accident where the driver of that car was not at fault. After arriving as backup at the scene of the accident, a police officer saw defendant sitting in the front passenger seat of the car. The police officer testified in court that defendant was rocking back & forth in the seat and that he ordered defendant to exit the vehicle for officer safety. In his testimony, the officer was not to give any particular facts to justify his concern for officer safety. Defendant initially refused, but the officer ordered the defendant to get out of the vehicle. When the defendant was out of the car, the police officer noticed a bulge in defendant's waistband, searched him, & located cocaine. The defendant filed a motion to suppress at trial, but it was denied.
On appeal, the circuit court noted that, if defendant had been traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that had been legally stopped, the trial court would have been correct in denying defendant's motion to suppress. However, in this case the vehicle had been involved in a automobile accident and was not lawfully stopped. The District Court of Appeal based their ruling on the holding in Miranda v State. Miranda held that an officer cannot order a party to exit a vehicle without having reasonable suspicion that a crime has occurred. Therefore, the court overturned the denial of the defendant's motion and ordered the trial court to vacate his judgment and sentence.
For more information on DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL , Criminal Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL and DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL you can contact us at: The Law Offices of Michael A. Dye, PA 1 E Broward Blvd # 700, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Legal Articles1. 5 Tips For Protecting Yourself After A Slip And Fall Injury In Phoenix, Az
2. What Losses Are Recoverable After A Car Accident In Phoenix?
3. Bad Driving Habits That Can Be Fatal
Author: Christopher A. Richard
4. New Rules Affecting Massachusettsworkers’ Compensation Law
Author: Conston Taylor
5. How Do Immigration Lawyers Help?
Author: Hudson Mckenzie
6. No Additional Burden On Home-buyers Under Gst, Landlords Stay Exempt - Best Time To Buy Property
Author: The Hemisphere
7. Quick Guide For Selecting The Best Personal Injury Attorney For A Slip And Fall Case
Author: Ladas Law
8. Get Aware Of The Right Family Lawyer In Fort Worth
Author: J Kevin Clark
9. Ten Kinds Of Car Accident Injuries That Require You To Hire An Expert Dallas Accident Lawyer
Author: Nick Feizy
10. Boston Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Win The Case
Author: Powers Caccavale
11. Top 3 Reasons A Business In London Needs A Commercial Law Firm More Than Ever.
Author: Hudson Mckenzie
12. Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim In Arizona?
13. When To Seek An Accident Attorney In Comparative Negligence Cases
14. Bail Process: Questions To Ask A Bail Bondsman
Author: Emily Stone
15. Cycle Accident: How To Ask For Compensation
Author: Chris Thayer