ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Second District Court Of Appeal Overturns Lower Court's Ruling Based On Illegal SearchBy Expert Author: Aaron Dally
In the case of Forman v. State, the Court of Appeal reversed defendant's conviction & sentence for possessing cocaine in an occurrence stemming from an automobile accident. The defendant was traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in a car accident where the driver of that car was not at fault. After arriving as backup at the scene of the accident, a police officer saw defendant sitting in the front passenger seat of the car. The police officer testified in court that defendant was rocking back & forth in the seat and that he ordered defendant to exit the vehicle for officer safety. In his testimony, the officer was not to give any particular facts to justify his concern for officer safety. Defendant initially refused, but the officer ordered the defendant to get out of the vehicle. When the defendant was out of the car, the police officer noticed a bulge in defendant's waistband, searched him, & located cocaine. The defendant filed a motion to suppress at trial, but it was denied.
On appeal, the circuit court noted that, if defendant had been traveling as a passenger in a vehicle that had been legally stopped, the trial court would have been correct in denying defendant's motion to suppress. However, in this case the vehicle had been involved in a automobile accident and was not lawfully stopped. The District Court of Appeal based their ruling on the holding in Miranda v State. Miranda held that an officer cannot order a party to exit a vehicle without having reasonable suspicion that a crime has occurred. Therefore, the court overturned the denial of the defendant's motion and ordered the trial court to vacate his judgment and sentence.
For more information on DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL , Criminal Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL and DUI Attorney Fort Lauderdale FL you can contact us at: The Law Offices of Michael A. Dye, PA 1 E Broward Blvd # 700, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Legal Articles1. Car Accident Attorney – Why Are They Important?
2. 7 Crucial Things To Know Before Finding A Personal Injury Lawyer Or Attorney In Plano, Texas
Author: Nick Feizy
3. Auto Accident Attorney – Tips To Get The Help You Need
4. Injured In A Slip And Fall - When To A Hire A Lawyer?
5. Guidelines To Choosing The Best Law Firm For Your Business
Author: Charles Silver
6. Personal Injury Law Firms - Getting The Right Slip And Fall Lawyer
7. Basic Need To Knows For Slip And Fall Lawyers
8. The Sydney Family Law Mediation Can Help To Resolve Disputes In A Friendly Manner
9. Truck Accident Attorney – Top 5 Things To Look For
10. Seat Belt Injury Law - What You Need To Know
11. Third Party Negligence- Hire A Personal Injury Law Firm
Author: Mark Joshes is the author of this Article.
13. How To Get Effective Legal Compensation For Ivc Filter Injury Case In Texas?
Author: Nick Feizy
14. Why Hiring A Wrongful Death Lawyer Is Very Important
15. Top Orange California Personal Injury Lawyer Announcing New Office Location And Free Case Evaluation