ALL >> Insurance >> View Article
Mediclaim Portability: Pros And Cons
Total Articles: 20
Having a health insurance policy is the need of the hour especially when the expenses at hospitals run into thousands and lakhs. When an individual buys any mediclaim policy they are left bewildered and get overwhelmed by the choices available before them. Many a times it happens that individuals get stuck with an insurer despite of the fact that they do not like the services provided to them. However, this has become a thing of past now as the IRDA, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority, now has allowed the insured to transfer his policy from one company to the other and carry forward their no claim bonus and their track record.
Under this mediclaim portability, the IRDA has directed that the new insurance company will not have any right to reject a proposal from the insured people if they do not receive the information from the present insurer. The problem that comes here is how will the IRDA implement this and keep a watch on what is happening. The circular was issued to protect the interest of the insured and has thus, set strict timelines so that the portability happens in a smooth manner. As a result of this, the prospective insurer cannot accept the new mediclaim policy and the existing insurer also closes it in their records.
Many insurance companies have said that getting the required information from an insurance company in such a short span of time is not simple and there is no way of implementing the default acceptance. If the prospective insurance company does not issue a policy they are not liable to pay a claim and such a situation will not be valid in a court too. The policy document is the only proof that a court of law is accepted in our country, and thus, without a valid policy, the insured is in a mess with no help.
It is also seen that in such a scenario the insurance companies propose unreasonable conditions and high amounts of premium which will obviously dissuade an insured from thinking about porting. Insurance portability is a boon for the insured and the IRDA has undoubtedly taken a step in the right direction. The issue has come in the implementation stage and this is something that has to be given a serious thought to ensure convenience for one and all. The problems of the insurance companies on the administrative backend, and also of the insured have to be understood and a proper action has to be accordingly taken.
Compare health insurance plans, mediclaim policy, cashless health insurance policies, Individual health insurance and family floater plans from best insurance companies in India.
Insurance Articles1. The Insights And Benefits Of Insurance Approved Repair Centre
Author: Rob Porter
2. Importance Of Life Insurance Policies
Author: Nirav Patekar
3. Get The Best Homeowners Insurance In California
4. Infoglobaldata Launches Accurate And Verified Database Of 128,132 Insurance Agents Email List
Author: Mark Griffith
5. Why Your Parents Need A Separate Health Insurance Plan
Author: Willie Gunn
6. Professional Mortgage Loan Advisors Can Help You Choose The Best Deal Suitable For Your Financial Ne
7. Select The Best Personal Loan In Pakistan
Author: Muhammad Waqar Asghar
8. 5 Tips From Miami Nationwide Auto Insurance Providers
9. Things To Know About Travel Insurance An Effortless Way To Safeguard Your Trip
Author: James felix
10. Top 5 Tips To Compare Funeral Insurance Rates
Author: Funeral Insurance NZ
11. Property Insurance Claims New Jersey: Areas To Cover And Points To Note
12. Ambulance Cover In Australia | Ambulance Insurance | Iselect
13. Overseas Visitor Cover In Australia | Visitor Insurance | Iselect
14. An Affordable Auto Insurance California Leads To A Secure Future
15. Road Rash: 10 Random Car Facts You Didn't Know
Author: Pranavi Jain