ALL >> Home-Based-Business >> View Article
Should We Cover Our Existing Roof Or Remove It?
Total Articles: 9
When it comes time to replace your roof, there are several things that you need to consider. Aside from choosing the color, one of the other most important initial decisions will be whether you should tear off the old shingles and start from scratch or just put the new roof over the old one. How do you decide which option is the right one for you? This quick guide can help.
If your budget is tight, you may want to consider simply having the new shingles placed on top of the older materials. Reroofing jobs can cost up to 50% more than those where contractors are simply laying the shingles over existing material. Part of that is the added labor and part of it is the additional dump fees incurred for the old shingles.
Age of Your Roof?
Whether or not your contractor is willing to put shingles over the existing roof may depend on the age of your current roof. If it’s within the warranty periods, and it still looks great, you may be a good candidate to simply have new shingles placed over your old ones.
What is the Condition?
Before any roofing contractor is even willing to simply lay a second set of shingles over the first, they’re going to do a thorough inspection of the roof’s condition to see whether it is a viable option. If you have had previous problems, like a roof leak or previous wood damage, a contractor will usually advise you tear it off and start from scratch.
One of the most important deciding factors in the process will be local laws and codes. In most areas, people are allowed to have two sets of shingles on a roof before it must be torn off and completely replaced. Some townships and neighborhood associations, though, are far more strict and have different requirements, so make certain you do your research before you step into a legal mess.
The Benefit of Reroofing
While it might be cheaper to simply have a new roof over the old one, there are some real benefits to starting fresh. It gives contractors a chance to inspect the flashing and decking. It also offers a more reliable grip for any fasteners used in the roofing process. What’s more, though, is that if you utilize more than one layer of roofing material, and you have a problem later, it could be far more difficult to track down the source of the problem, making the repairs more expensive. It can also lower the overall value of the home, as any interested buyer will quickly note that a full tear off will be required during the next reroofing cycle.
Talk carefully with your Phoenix roofing contractor before you make any decisions about which method of roofing might be right for your home.
Article Source: DMS Roofing
Home Based Business Articles1. Water Filters Are The Best Way To Harness The Water Spice Of Life
Author: Alan Scott
2. Accommodation In Cape Town Allows Travelers To Take Charm Of Stunning Outside Views!
Author: John Gomez
3. An Essential Tips For Restoring Your Terrazzo Floors
4. Choose Uniquely Yours Shed Awnings And Canopy Manufacturer In Kolkata
Author: Kanchan Das
5. Find Your Holiday Accommodation Cape Town At The Most Exclusive Place!
Author: John Gomez
6. Super Quality Shed Awnings And Canopy Manufacturer In Kolkata
Author: Kanchan Das
7. Sixexpensive Things That Could Be Wrong With Your New Home
8. Videocon Wallcam Unveils Mobile Vehicle Surveillance Solution
Author: Videocon WallCam
9. A Brief Note On The Best Way To Make Insect Screens
Author: Jaxon Berry
11. Tips For Hiring The Right Floor Screeding Contractor
Author: Mark Seekings
12. Reasons To Choose Glass Kitchen Splashbacks
Author: Alex Jack
13. Master Bathroom Reworking Choices
Author: Reliable Home Contractors
14. Avail Commercial Inspection Service To Determine The Condition Of A Property For Your Investment
15. Leading Paint Suppliers Offer The Best And Environmental Friendly Wall Coatings South Africa!
Author: Matthew Johnson