ALL >> Sports >> View Article
Choosing Bikes: Which Type Is For You?
Total Articles: 14
Some people just purchase any bike, ride it, and learn to love it. Others are a little more meticulous. They want to know everything about a bike before forking over their hard-earned money. As there are a lot of different types of bikes, this can all get confusing. If you're one of the meticulous ones that want to get that perfect bike, then you'll need to know a few basics about the different kinds. First off is the geared versus the no-gear bikes.
Geared bikes are the standard bikes that you see being ridden by most people. As the name implies, they have gears. You switch between the different gears depending on the speed you're going or aiming for. The inclination of the road plays a factor in changing gears as well. Simply put, geared bikes are like manual-transmission vehicles.
The other type is the fixed-gear bike. These are the simpler types of bikes. While technically being ungeared, they have gear ratios that are fixed. Either way, all you have to understand is the one fact that the speed of this type of bike is proportional to the speed of your pedalling.
Fixed-gear bikes, or fixies, can be freewheel or not. Freewheel means your bike continues to move despite you stopping the pedals, allowing you to coast. The more basic no-freewheel fixie continues to turn the pedal as long as the wheels are turning. While this doesn't allow for coasting, preventing the pedals from turning becomes the break mechanism for these bikes.
Once you've chosen between a geared or fixed-gear bike, you can start looking into those bikes' sub-types. The best way to choose is to determine what you will primarily be using the bike for. The most common type of bike is the road bike. It's almost self-explanatory: a road bike is a bike meant for use on the road. This means smooth pavements, concrete, asphalt, and the like.
Road bikes are mostly used as a means of transportation in urban environments. Whether it is casual rides at the park or as a way to traverse a good distance without having to use your car, the fact that they're one of the lighter bikes makes them good for the job. The speed is average, but can still get you to your destination in time if you're running late.
If you're looking a little bit more towards using your bikes for nature trips, consider a mountain bike. Mountain bikes are best used off the road, but are not necessarily limited to mountain ranges. The key here is the gear setup of mountain bikes, which makes them great for climbing steeper roads. Their tires can be switched if you plan to use it as your commuting bike as well. However, if you're looking for somewhere between a road and a mountain bike, don't settle for either and go for a hybrid instead.
Hybrid bikes are best for on-and-off-roading. If you're looking for a bike that you can leisurely use wherever you want without having to customize it a bit, then hybrids are the best for you. Whichever type of bike you go for, always make it a point to have your bike "fitted" for you. This ensures the best experience and comfort in your new bike. If you're looking for a Sydney bike, head on over to Chappelli Cycles' site for some of the best ones.
Sports Articles1. List Of Top Ngo In India Who Had Develop India
Author: Satya prakash
2. International Cricket Before The Prudential Cricket World Cup
3. Riordan Filmcamp And Bbq Camp : Know Where You Stand
Author: Craig Arnold
4. Summer Fun In San Francisco With Sports Camps
Author: Craig Arnold
5. How To Choose The Right Mountain Bike For You
Author: Laura John
6. India’s World Cup Cricket Live Scores To Bolster With New Finisher
7. Sri Lanka’s Rejuvenated Campaign Of Live World Cup Cricket Match
8. Fc Barcelona Vs Eibar Football Tips And Prediction Spanish La Liga
9. A Walkthrough Over Odi Records Of India And Australia Cricket Teams
10. The Uncommendable Nexus Of Captain-coach In Cricket Teams
11. Why Buy Cards Or Rugby Trophies Online Instead Of Local Trophy Stores?
Author: Better Trophies Better Prices Limited
12. Planning And Running Golf Events – The Formats…
Author: Ian Mullins
13. Ottis Gibson, South Africa’s Bet In Icc World Cup Cricket Today And Tomorrow
Author: cricket bolo
14. Fishing Trips Day And Night Deep Sea, Shark Fishing, Charter Boats At Sanibel Fl
Author: Sanibel Sport Fishing Charters
15. Real Sociedad Vs Rosenborg Betting Tips Uefa Europa League