ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
How Engine Control Unit (ecu) Increases The Performance Of Your Car
Total Articles: 21
Engine control unit (ECU) is an important part of electronic fuel injection system (FIS). Also known as engine management system (EMS) or powertrain control module (PCM), it is like the brain of the fuel injection system.
An electronic fuel injection system consists of three subsystems - air induction system, fuel delivery system and electronic control system. The engine control unit (ECU) belongs to third subsystem of the FIS.
The ECU gathers information on various factors like air temperature, air pressure, throttle angle, fuel temperature, air density, fuel pressure, oil pressure, timing, engine rpm, speed of vehicle etc., with the help of various sensors like oxygen sensor, airflow sensor, coolant-temperature sensor, speed sensor, etc.
Based on the information collected by sensors, the ECU increases the performance of the car by performing various functions as discussed below.
Controls air/fuel mixture: The ECU accurately measures the amount of air and fuel that has to be injected into the combustion chamber based on various parameters collected by sensors. This avoids wastage of fuel, caused by injecting more than the required amount of fuel and reduces the toxic emissions caused by injecting less than the required amount of fuel. Thus, increases the fuel efficiency and performance of the car.
Controls variable valve timing: After measuring the optimum amount of air and fuel mixture, it is also important that it is sprayed into the combustion chambers at right times.
Variable valve timing is the process of lifting the valves and spraying the air and fuel mixture at different times. The time depends on various factors like speed of the car, internal and external temperature, etc. that are identified by different sensors of the ECU. Valves usually need to be lifted sooner at higher speeds and little later during low speeds. The ECU controls these valves’ lifting times ensuring better performance of the car.
Controls ignition timing: Producing a spark at the right time (neither early nor late) to ignite the engine is called ignition timing. It is crucial for the performance of the car. Too late or too early ignition results in vibration and major issues in car engine. Spark is required to ignite the engine. The ECU identifies the right time to produce spark in the combustion chamber in order to start the engine.
Controls idle speed: Idle speed is the speed at which engine generates maximum power and runs smoothly besides operating other accessories such as AC, power steering, etc. Throttle control system of the ECU controls the idle speed of the vehicle. Idle speed also depends on the load on the vehicle and this idle load varies with the engine temperature, transmission status and camshaft duration. All these are monitored and regulated by the ECU.
Therefore, efficient functioning of the ECU of an electronic fuel injection system not only improves the fuel efficiency and power, but also the overall performance of your car.
Airtex Products is the leading aftermarket supplier of mechanical and electric fuel pumps. For over 50 years, the Airtex brand has been the benchmark of fuel delivery components for leading companies in the automotive aftermarket. If you are searching for a fuel pump, consider Airtex as Airtex fuel pump has exceptional quality that meets or exceeds OE design specifications and ISO standards.
Automobiles Articles1. Recognizing The Real Value Of A Student Auto Loan
Author: jeffery reynold
2. Be A Pioneer In The Motorcycle Repairs Here's What You'll Need
Author: Levi Fysh
3. Rockman – The Leading Manufacturers Of Drive Chain Kits & Alloy Wheels For Two Wheelers
Author: Rockman Industries
4. The Most Effective Method To Become An Independent Tyre Dealer
Author: My Tyre Point
5. Atv Tyres
6. Destiny International Filtration - Oil Cleaning Machine Manufacturer In India
Author: priya singh
7. Wounded Warrior Project & Harley-davidson Surprise Los Angeles Veteran With New Bike As Part Of Miss
8. Vectra - The Heavy Construction & Earth Moving Equipment Manufacturing Companies In India & Europe
9. Think Long Term Before You Decide On Your Auto Loan Term
Author: Kaitlin Miller
10. Tips On Choosing The Best Car Breakers Services In Birmingham
Author: Denny Sour
11. Benefits Of Scrap Car Removal In Birmingham
Author: Alex Stewart
12. Black Car, Limousine Service And Airport Transportation West Palm Beach Fl
13. Matters To Look Upon While Looking For A Gear Manufacturer In India
Author: SONA BLW Precision Forgings Ltd.
14. Car Detailing Tips And Keep Your Car Exterior In A Superior Condition With Autofresh
Author: neel patel
15. Things To Know About The Availability Of Different Warranty Plans For Cars
Author: Ewan Thorpe