ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Tips In Presenting A Solid Case In Court
Total Articles: 28
There are pros and cons to representing yourself in court for a case you’re involved in. Of course, if you want to make sure that you’ll win your case, you’re better off hiring a lawyer instead of doing self-representation. But if your case is simple enough that you know you can speak confidently to a judge and you know you’re not guilty of something you’re accused of, then you can go ahead and represent yourself and save money.
If you’re presenting your case in court, here are tips you can follow so you can have a higher chance of winning it:
Do your homework – Just like with many other things, one of the best ways to arm yourself when you get to ‘war’ is to do your homework. If you have witnesses to present, interview all of them and be sure that they are available during the date when they are scheduled to testify. If you have exhibits to show, prepare them and make sure they’re not corrupted or damaged.
Observe other court proceedings – Before your trial begins, visit the court where your case will be tried and make an observation of the judge and the proceedings. By doing this, you’ll have an idea of what to expect, including how the judge reacts to things like objections and other procedural matters. Observing other trials can give you information on how to behave in that particular courtroom.
Tell a consistent story – One of the things that gets people in trouble when they testify in court is when their narrative is full of inconsistencies and even anachronisms. An inconsistent story is always suspect to the judge and/or the jury and can be your biggest vulnerability, if not the demise of your case. Develop a story with a theme that’s consistent and fully believable. Concocting something and injecting it into your story can cause loopholes in your story.
Always be polite and courteous – You have to project an image that’s not adversarial or disrespectful. Show courtesy and politeness to everyone in the court, from the judge, to the jurors, to the opposing party and counsel, and even to court personnel. In one way or another, your bearing in court has a significant effect on your case. It can even spell the difference between winning and losing it.
Use all necessary tools at your disposal – Get all the visual aids, props, exhibits and other tools you can muster to present a solid case. You should also use gestures and proper inflections when speaking. Remember that your goal is to convince, so make sure you achieve that by using everything you can to back your case up.
Prepare for the unexpected – You may do all the preparation you can, but there can be times when the opposing party would throw a curve ball your way. If this happens, be sure to deal with it in a calm fashion and not immediately panic. Take time to evaluate your options and choose the best way to deal with the surprise attack.
Follow these guidelines so you can have a higher chance of successfully presenting your case in court (you can also consult a law firm Sydney to find out if your case needs the service of a lawyer or you’d be find representing yourself).
Legal Articles1. Why Patent Validity Search Is Required To Validate Any Claim?
Author: Synoptic IP
2. Top 5 Tips To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
Author: Zane Norman
3. Attain Best Legal Advice On Cancelling Timeshare Contract By Timeshare Lawyer
Author: Advocate Financial Services
4. 3 Situations When You Need A Probate Attorney
Author: Betsy Salcedo
5. Litigation Officers And Their Role In The Aftermath Of October 2017 Wildfires
Author: Eric James
6. Hire A Houston Dwi Lawyer To Save Yourself From The Drug Paraphernalia Charges
Author: Gloria Lipp
7. How Will Your Nj Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help You In Getting The Right Compensation?
Author: Andrew Bronsnick
8. How Can You Make The Best Decision In Order To Hire Bankruptcy Lawyer Nj?
Author: Howard Sobel
9. Get To Know More About Us Immigration And Its Elements.
Author: Hudson Mckenzie
10. All You Need To Know About Bankruptcy And Bankruptcy Laws
Author: Vipin Nirwal
11. How Your Personal Injury Lawyer Nj Can Help You In Filing A Proper Claim?
Author: Howard N Sobel
12. Litigation Services Can Help You To Manage Your Northern California Wildfire Financial Losses
Author: Eric James
13. Choosing A Good Immigration Solicitor London Could Be An Answer To All Immigration Related Worries
Author: Hudson Mckenzie
14. How To Get The Most For Your Injury Claim With New Jersey Personal Injury Attorney
Author: Gregg Wisotsky
15. 5 Facts That Every Personal Injury Lawyer Nj Would Want You To Know
Author: Howard D. Popper