ALL >> Technology,-Gadget-and-Science >> View Article
Nesting Dolls A Little History
Total Articles: 102
"Baby Babushka!" These were nonsense words used when I was little, for no other reason than they were fun to say, as my mother wrapped my head in yet another embarrassingly ugly scarf designed to protect me from the cold! Babushka is the Russian word for "grandmother". Grandmothers in Russia traditionally wore colorful scarves tied under their chins to ward off the cold Russian winds. I later learned that the word "Babushka" also sometimes referred to the traditional Russian souvenir... the Nesting Doll. The irony in all of this is that little did I realize that many years later, I would be an online retailer selling these darling babushkas! (The cute Nesting Dolls... not the ugly scarves!)
Babushkas, or matryoshkas, are Nesting Dolls! My little site, Nesting Dolls Direct, features gorgeous, authentic Russian Nesting Dolls! Mom would be so proud!
Nesting dolls are probably the most popular of all Russian souvenirs. Whether you call them Nesting Dolls, Stacking Dolls, Matryoshkas, or Babushkas makes no difference. They are the classic Russian gift and have a fascinating history.
In old Russia, a popular girl's name was "Matryoshka". Scholars will tell you that this name has a Latin root "mater" meaning "Mother". Eventually this name became associated with a peasant mother who was very healthy and had a portly figure and a large number of children. Many nesting dolls depict just such a woman with many children tucked away (nesting) inside.
The very first Russian nesting doll was created in 1890 and produced by Save Mamontov, an industrialist and patron of the arts, on his estate in Abramtsevo in Moscow. Nesting dolls were well known in various places, such as Japan earlier than this however. But the Russians perfected the art and made nesting dolls a profitable business.
Traditionally, the nesting doll design consists of a Russian woman dressed in typical Russian dress complete with a scarf (babushka baby!) on her head. Each doll was almost identical to one another and the number of dolls ranged in sets from 5 to 30. Some custom-made sets contained many more. The sets sometimes formed a theme, such as the classic sets of Russian Leaders, with the earlier leaders nested inside.
Technology, Gadget and Science Articles1. Installing A Ssl Certificate On Amazon Web Services (aws)
Author: Julia Zemetskaya, Nicolewells
2. Angularjs Introduction | Features | Design Goals
Author: IQ Online
3. Mybox-satellite Set Top Box Manufacturers
Author: My box
4. What Are The Advantages Of Having A Lighting Control System?
Author: Bruce Walker
5. Lenovo Tablet Repair Cost In The Uk
Author: Tablet Repair Cost in the UK
6. Know More About Snmp Simulation.
7. Nintendo 3ds Repair Centre In The Uk
Author: Nintendo 2ds in the UK
8. What Are The Biomedical Applications Of Monodisperse Nanoparticles?
Author: Bhargav Himnshu
9. How Do I Choose The Right Mobile App Development Platform
Author: Karl P
10. How Ai Based Mobile App Development Will Involve In 2018?
Author: Jessica Barnes
11. Quick Fixes For Issues At Lg Phone Repair Shop Leeds
Author: Tony Blair
12. Playstation 4 Games Repair Shop In The Uk
Author: Games Console Repair Centre
13. Global Integration Platform As A Service Market Share
14. Windows Tablet Repair Shop In The Uk
Author: Tablet Repair Centre in the UK
15. A Few Things To Know About Sony Service Centre Uk
Author: Tony Blair