ALL >> Health >> View Article
Tips For Walking With A Cane
Total Articles: 6
There is no set time or even set indication for when it may become necessary – or even advisable – to use a cane. Sometimes it is necessary because of certain physical conditions, like healing after surgery or recuperating from physical injury. Other times, a cane can be a way to make periods of extensive walking, or walking on uncertain terrain – easier and safer to manage for people of all ages.
Canes can fulfill a general need – to augment stability and balance and perhaps the signs may not be obvious, or individuals may feel reluctant to accept dependence on a cane. When a cane does become integrated into daily activities, however, users typically find a regained sense of independence, confidence, comfort and ease. As with any assistive device, it’s imperative to be well informed about what to look for in a cane.
Different Types of Canes
There are two basic types of canes. The first has a single tip, which is helpful for added balance. The other, called a quad cane, offers more stability with four prongs at the base, and is suitable for bearing weight.
Canes come with a variety of handle options, and choosing the right grip is largely dependent on personal preference. The user and medical professional should consider the user’s needs and concerns, such as trouble gripping with fingers, weakness or arthritis, and choose a grip that will offer comfort both in shape and material. For instance, a palm handle is ergonomically designed to fit the contours of the hand, giving support without requiring a tight grip – a great option for those suffering from arthritis.
The best way to determine which is the best fit for a patient’s specific situation is to consult with a doctor or physical therapist. If a user begins to experience pain or weakness, or if balance and stability are not restored using a cane, a doctor or physical therapist should be alerted, as another assistive device, such as crutches or a walker may be a better option.
Using a Cane
According to the National Institutes for Health (NIH), the most commonly asked question about using a cane is with which hand to hold it. It’s best for patients to hold their cane in the hand opposite the weak or recovering leg, when applicable. For general use, the cane should be held in the dominant hand. The NIH also recommends:
- The tip or all four prongs be on the ground before supporting weight with the cane.
- Look forward when walking, not down at the feet.
- Cane must be adjusted to patient height:
- The handle should be at the level of patient’s wrist.
- The elbow should be slightly bent when patient is holding the handle.
- The cane should have a durable, sanitary and comfortable handle.
- When standing from, or lowering the body to a seated position, a patient should use a chair with armrests for ease and stability.
When a patient is dependent on a walking aid to get where they want to go, it’s imperative to be both correctly fitted to the device, and to have the product that is best suited to their needs. Whether it’s using crutches, or a rollator, a walker or a cane, Symbius Medical offers a variety of products to fit anyone’s needs, from youth to adult and bariatric. We specialize in quad canes, “T” Handle design, cane seats, and forearm crutches and carry a variety of walkers and rollators from leading manufacturers.
At Symbius Medical, we believe the right thing for you is the right thing for us. Contact us today to learn more about our services and resources.
Article Source: Symbius Medical
Health Articles1. Popularity Of Big Breasts In The 21st Century!
Author: Pankaj Singhal
2. Anti Aging Treatment In Bangalore
3. Things About Ground Ambulance That You Must Know
Author: Amb Life
4. Few Reasons To Choose Dental Implants
Author: Nazila Nosratieh
5. What To Do If Your Hair Transplant Treatment Failed
Author: Pankaj Singhal
6. 7 Ways To Keep A Brilliant Attitude As A Caregiver
Author: Warren Winnipeg
7. Diet And Male Organ Function May Be Related
Author: John Dugan
8. Prp Skin Treatment – Breast Augmentation In Dubai Can Help You Achieve Natural Size Of The Breast!
Author: Abharan Dari
9. Top Benefits Of Choosing Dental Implants
Author: Wynona G. Ehret
10. Itchy Member Primer: Midsection Lice
Author: John Dugan
11. How ‘psychiatric’ And ‘power Of Psychiatrists’ Can Improve Your Life
12. An Orthodontist In San Bruno Explains Some Of The Benefits Of Invisalign
Author: Steve Irwin
13. Lecithin Supplements Can Support Your Liver Health, Your Nervous System, And Your Digestive System S
Author: oen thomson
14. Couples Counseling Therapy – Marriage Counseling Can Make A Big Difference For Both Of You!
Author: Dennis Tucker
15. Where To Start A Bathroom Remodel Functionality For Your Home
Author: Logan Daniel