ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
Tips On Purchasing A Vehicle For A New Driver
Total Articles: 4
The moment is here. Your teen has done their time sitting through hours of driving school. You also have done your time, sitting in the passenger seat, maybe white-knuckled, as they excitedly ventured out on the road for their first drives. They have passed the road test and now the moment is here; the moment you decide they need a car. There is much to consider when you start looking a car that not only meets your teens expectations but leaves you with a peace of mind.
Choosing the Perfect Vehicle
This is your teen’s first car and it will not be the only one they ever own. It is more important that it be the perfect car for you, the parent, than for your child. What vehicle are you comfortable with your child driving? Research things like safety ratings, crash test information, performance, and reliability. This data is easily accessed through companies like National Highway Traffic Safety Association, Kelly Blue Book, and J.D. Power and Associates. Sports cars and vehicles with a high-center-of-gravity are more powerful and harder to handle. This makes them more dangerous and consequently, higher to insure. Unless your teen learned to drive on a manual transmission, it may be a good idea to stick to vehicles with automatic transmissions. Driving a manual, especially if just learning, is an unnecessary distraction.
New or Used
In most cases it will not be monetarily logical to get a new car for your teen. Though buying new does allow some peace regarding breakdowns and repairs, new cars are usually much more expensive to insure. There is also the possibility of small fender benders and the depreciation in value of a new vehicle to consider. If you do decide to buy new, check trends in depreciation for car companies and their car models. If you settle on a used car, look at the Kelly Blue Book for reviews and values of different cars you are considering.
Insurance is already expensive and a teen driver will increase the cost dramatically. So, it is important to do research to get the best deal possible. Should your teen be insured under your existing policy or on a separate policy? The answer to this varies greatly between insurance companies. It should be cheaper to insure a young driver under their parent’s policy, unless the company requires that the teen be rated under all vehicles on the policy. In this is the case it might be a cheaper option to get a separate policy, thus the company is only charging this higher rate on one vehicle. There are some discounts to look for. Safety equipped vehicles get a discount, so look for cars that have features like anti-lock brakes and airbags. Many insurance companies also reward good grades; this gives you a two for one punch. It helps your child’s motivation at school and allows you to take advantage of the discount.
Buying the right car for a teen is fraught with important decisions, but can also be very rewarding. By doing a little research, looking at all your options, and shopping around, you can make a, financially sound, final choose that makes you comfortable, and your young driver happy.
Mel Rapton Honda has a fully stocked lot with all the latest new Honda cars, trucks and SUVs. We proudly serve the entire Sacramento area. If you are searching for Honda dealers in Sacramento using the keywords Honda CR-V Sacramentos or Honda CR-Z Sacramento, visit our dealership today.
Automobiles Articles1. Recognizing The Real Value Of A Student Auto Loan
Author: jeffery reynold
2. Be A Pioneer In The Motorcycle Repairs Here's What You'll Need
Author: Levi Fysh
3. Rockman – The Leading Manufacturers Of Drive Chain Kits & Alloy Wheels For Two Wheelers
Author: Rockman Industries
4. The Most Effective Method To Become An Independent Tyre Dealer
Author: My Tyre Point
5. Atv Tyres
6. Destiny International Filtration - Oil Cleaning Machine Manufacturer In India
Author: priya singh
7. Wounded Warrior Project & Harley-davidson Surprise Los Angeles Veteran With New Bike As Part Of Miss
8. Vectra - The Heavy Construction & Earth Moving Equipment Manufacturing Companies In India & Europe
9. Think Long Term Before You Decide On Your Auto Loan Term
Author: Kaitlin Miller
10. Tips On Choosing The Best Car Breakers Services In Birmingham
Author: Denny Sour
11. Benefits Of Scrap Car Removal In Birmingham
Author: Alex Stewart
12. Black Car, Limousine Service And Airport Transportation West Palm Beach Fl
13. Matters To Look Upon While Looking For A Gear Manufacturer In India
Author: SONA BLW Precision Forgings Ltd.
14. Car Detailing Tips And Keep Your Car Exterior In A Superior Condition With Autofresh
Author: neel patel
15. Things To Know About The Availability Of Different Warranty Plans For Cars
Author: Ewan Thorpe