ALL >> Health >> View Article
Positive Effects Of Pranayama On Stress
Total Articles: 10
Pranayama in simple terms can be defined as series of breathing exercises that have great impact on our health. It is an ancient method of yoga practiced since centuries by yogis. Importance of pranayama is reflected in modern days and has gained popularity even in western countries.
If the technique is understood, it can be practiced irrespective of time and place. Let us look at some of the benefits of practicing pranayama and specific types of pranayama that help in reducing stress.
Importance of pranayama
Apart from promoting good health, pranayama has a good impact on positive thinking. The main advantage of pranayama is, it helps to overcome all the obstacles that block the flow of air from lungs to different parts of body and brain. It increases oxygen supply to brain, as low oxygen levels increase stress. Just taking a long breath for few minutes when you feel tensed, will quit away all your tension and restlessness. While doing pranayama, you will be concentrating only on the way the air is taken in and released out. So, regularly doing pranayama increases your concentration power. It is like a mind-body exercise.
Types of pranayama that reduce stress
Nadi shodhana pranayama
Nadi means ‘nerves’. We can simply say that this type of pranayama has positive effect on nervous system, specially brain. This technique will help overcome chronic stress and the stress faced in daily life. It balances flow of air to all parts of nervous system, increases quick response of body to brain signals, maintains balance between tension and stress normally.
Ujjayi means ‘victory’. In yogic terms, attaining victory means gaining control over breath and body. This technique involves creating pressure on some sinuses present near throat called ‘carotid sinuses’, because pressure on this sinuses will help in controlling heart beat that is raised during stress. Ujjayi pranayama helps to overcome conditions like high blood pressure, heart related problems, anxiety exerted due to stress, etc.
Brahmari, bhastrika and kapalbhati pranayama
Brahmari has positive impact on situations that are out of your control like ‘hysteria’ (unmanageable emotions resulting from past or present experiences) and anxiety. Bhastrika and Kapalbhati will help in boosting energy that is wasted in stress situations. They increase enthusiasm and spirit by supplying energy to nervous system.
Sheetal means ‘cool’. This pranayama will have cooling effect on your mind as well as body. During stress, body and mind get heated that will decrease your thinking power. By practicing Sheetal pranayama, one can increase their peace of mind, can avoid discomforts like acidity, burning eyes, rashes, etc. It also helps in having a good sleep.
Practice these simple techniques according to your comfort to lead to stress free life.
Health Articles1. Itchy Manhood? Use Shea Butter And Vitamin E
Author: John Dugan
2. Porcelain Veneers: What Are They And Why You Might Need Them
3. Dental Professionals – Do You Need To Have A Trusting Relationship
4. Why You Will Need Emergency Dental Care
5. Things To Remember When Choosing The Best Dental Professional For Your Loved Ones
6. The Things To Reflect On Before Selecting A Dental Professional That Can Meet All Your Requirements
7. Don't Fear The Dentist - Beating Your Dental Stress
8. Indications Of A Bad Dentist
9. Best Tips To Choosing A Family Dental Expert
10. Regular Dental Cleaning - Why It Is Necessary
11. Top Five Reasons To Truly Have Periodic Dental Cleaning Done
12. Get Emergency Medical Support By Panchmukhi Air Ambulance Service In Mumbai
Author: Dr Mukesh Kumar
13. Why You May Consider Dental Dentures
14. Great Guidance For Denture Users
15. Teeth Extraction And Why It Is Important