ALL >> Health >> View Article
Abortion Statistics Through The Years And Trends
Total Articles: 75
Abortions are one of the most talked about and controversial topics in any society. In conservative societies, abortion is considered a taboo even today. In other societies, abortion is talked about more freely. Yet, there are some myths associated with it. Abortion today is legal in most countries of the world. Here are some interesting statistics about abortion that reflect the trends in this procedure:
- If we were to consider the number of abortions happening per day in the whole world, this number would amount to 1,25,000, according to WHO statistics. This seems like a huge number until you put it in perspective. There are approximately 30-40 million abortions per year, but there are 131.4 million births each year. Therefore it is actually not that great a number. With factors like chances of failure of protection and/or contraceptives, danger to mother's health, dangerous birth defects foreseen or rape (depending upon laws of the country concerned), abortion is a blessing in disguise. It is anyway better to abort than to bring an unwanted child to the world.
- There are many different laws in every country regarding abortion. Not every country supports abortion by choice. However, it is a good thing that the number of such countries is on the rise. In 1994, only 42 countries allowed abortion on demand. This figure rose to 53 countries in 2002, and as of 2011, abortion on demand is allowed in 57 countries. However abortion on demand does not mean that a foetus can be terminated during any time in the pregnancy. Most countries have limitations placed on when the foetus can be aborted. More or less, this limitation hovers around the end of the second trimester mark.
- It is often naively believed that with access to easier and safer abortion procedures, abortions have increased dramatically. However it is not true. In fact, the number of abortions has decreased. This is illustrated by the fact that in 1995, out of every 1000 women of child bearing age, 35 had an abortion. In 2003, however, this number decreased to 23. (Child bearing age refers to the age between 15 and 44).
- It is falsely believed that there is more abortion in countries where the abortion law is liberal. In fact, it is the exact opposite. In Latin America, for example, the abortion rate is 32 per 1000 women. In Western Europe, however, it is 12 per 1000.
Are you looking for Late Term Abortion?. You can then visit http://www.womenscenter.com/early_surgical_abortion.html for more info.
Health Articles1. Male Organ Pain: Are Barrier Protections To Blame?
Author: John Dugan
2. Know About The Key Responsibilities Of A Healthcare Support Worker
Author: Paige Rees
3. Smilex - The Place For Getting The Best Solution For Dental Issues
Author: Mohan Kumar
4. The Easiest Guide Ever To Get Fit & Healthy
5. Span Sure Medical Instruments Pvt. Ltd., Korea Automatic Thermal Massage Bed - Suppliers
Author: spansure medical
6. Midwives Acquire Nursing And Midwifery Programs To Fulfill Big Responsibilities
7. Specialties And Steps Involved In Elective Abroad Medical And Pre Medical Programs
8. Clinically Proven Solutions For Hairloss!!! Unfortunately Less Known!!!
9. How To Treat Gum Disease?
Author: Chris Hugh
10. Ways To Find The Best Chiropody Clinic
Author: The Harley Medical Foot and Nail Laser Clinic Lond
11. How A Good Parent Helps A Childcare Western Sydney
Author: Colleen Grenville
12. Top 30 Signs And Symptoms Of Adrenal Fatigue
Author: Peter Dobie
13. Male Organ Pain After Oral Sensual Activity: Urethritis?
Author: John Dugan
14. The Growing Relevance Of Mobile Massage Services In Albuquerque
Author: Bernadette Gongora
15. Now Natural Cure For Diabetes Is In Your Fingertips
Author: Salveo Life Sciences Limited