ALL >> Internet-Marketing >> View Article
What Is Web Scraping?
Total Articles: 1
What is web scraping?
Put simply, web scraping is a technique of collecting valuable data from websites and saving them in a well-structured format; a database, spreadsheet, CSV or XML file etc. The purpose of the process is converting the data from format that's meant to be readable for humans (web site) to a format readable for computers so that the collected data can be easily stored, processed, analyzed and so on.
The web scraping process is performed automatically by specially designed programs called web scrapers or web harversters. The way they work is somewhat similar to how web spiders used by Internet search engines operate: they "crawl" the targetted website (visiting its pages the same way a human user would) and inspect its content lookin for relevant information. The data to be collected are identified in the websites' HTML source (typically using so called XPath expressions, regular expressions or other means of text analysis), extracted, processed or reformatted if necessary, then saved. Because web scraping bots operate much faster than humans (often processing tens of pages per second!), they can scrape large amounts of data in a fraction of time the same job would take a human, not to mention their accuracy rate is also much greater.
Web scraping is used to collect all kinds of data from the web: business or marketing leads (names, addresses, emails, phone numbers) from business directories of all kinds (websites like Yellowpages, Yell or Google Places), statistical data (e.g. sports scores or betting odds), product details and prices (Amazon, Ebay, online stores), geographical data (Google Maps), the list goes on and on.
Rather than wasting money on "universal" data extraction software and spending time on trying to learn how to operate it, it is often a better idea to hire a programmer or a company specializing in web scraping services. These are people experienced in writing extremely fast web scraping bots customized for a specific source and able to bypass any data protection techniques this source can implement. They will get you the data you need in a fraction of time and cost you'd have to spend trying to get this done yourself.
Internet Marketing Articles1. Q&a | Answering All The Faqs About Social Media Aggregators
Author: Alex Watts
2. Avail Internet Marketing Companies In Pune Services To Reach Your Online Business Objectives
3. On Facebook…and The Shifty Home-business Generation
Author: Hannah George
4. Local Seo In Waterloo Ontario - Sizing Up The Competition
Author: Nick Watson is the author of this article
5. 4 Trends In The Digital Marketing Sphere That Will Help You Generate More Sales
Author: Joseph Symons
6. Bulk Sms Reselling Business Oppurtunity – Smsjosh
7. Important Factors To Consider While Enlisting For Online Construction Directory
Author: John Tremblay
8. Custom Mobile Development For Businesses
Author: Paul Wright
9. Plug Your Business Into The Digital Age With 180 Fusion
10. Pay Per Click Management Service To Take Your Business To The Next Level
11. Pasadena Web Development
Author: web design pasadena
12. A Few Effective Tips To Ensure Best Operation Of Your Business Site
Author: Bit Zenith
13. 7 Ways Personal Reputation Management Services Help You Create A Strong Online Presence
Author: AKS Interactive
14. Email Automation An Effective Way For Engaging Customers
15. The Point To Point Guide To Boosting Your Google Rankings Without Getting Penalized