ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
Onstar In Chevrolet Still Slowing Down Car Thieves
Total Articles: 312
Nearly 250 times in the past five years, a signal to an On-Star equipped stolen vehicle has helped stop a car thief in the act as On-Star gradually and safely slows the vehicle to a stop avoiding a high-speed chase.
On-Star’s Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is one of three Stolen Vehicle Assistance tools OnStar offers subscribers. A Remote Ignition Block makes it impossible to start a stolen vehicle once the vehicle has been turned off, and a GPS location can be provided to authorities anytime a vehicle is confirmed stolen.
250 cases in the past five years is impressive, but more are expected as public safety officials everywhere become familiar with the services OnStar offers and are available at officer’s disposal. OnStar even resolved a fictional crime, as it played a big role in the plot of the film, “Horrible Bosses” starring Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day, and Jamie Foxx.
Since OnStar began in 1196, more than 59,000 stolen vehicles have been located using OnStar’s Stolen Vehicle Assistance services. Over the past year, Detroit, Houston, St. Louis, Chicago, and Los Angeles were the top metropolitan areas for Stolen Vehicle Assistance requests.
The Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature was initiated in 2009. In its first request a California resident was carjacked at gunpoint. OnStar was able to safely slow the vehicle and the suspect was apprehended less than 16 minutes after OnStar was contacted, the Tahoe was safely recovered.
Other high profile Stolen Vehicle Slowdown cases include a Chevrolet Impala belonging to a State Senator being stolen from a parking lot. The Senator contacted OnStar who alerted the county sheriff who used OnStar GPS to find the Impala and once in sight OnStar slowed it down and disabled it so the suspect was able to be taken into custody.
And in Shreveport, Louisiana, the owner of a Chevy Silverado was robbed of his truck and money during a gunpoint home invasion. OnStar was able to slowdown the Silverado after helping authorities find it and the suspect refused to stop. However, the suspect then refused to surrender and threatened his own life, prompting officers to call in a negotiating team who used OnStar’s Hands-Free system to talk to the suspect for hours eventually convincing him to surrender before anyone was hurt.
The majority of vehicles at Westside Chevrolet come with OnStar equipped so you can have peace of mind knowing you are covered when the unthinkable happens. Visit us today at 23001 Katy Freeway in Katy, Texas or give us a call at 888-285-7051 today!
Automobiles Articles1. Is Your Next Vehicle A Luxury Car?
Author: Mike Hamby
2. Choose Auto Repair Shop Where Mechanic Give An Accurate Diagnosis
Author: Haggerty Ford
3. How To Detail Car Like A Pro
Author: neel patel
4. Things You Probably Didn't Know About Sell Your Car
Author: Ewan Thorpe
5. Lessons That Will Teach You All You Need To Know About Auto Care
Author: James Elston
6. How Car Valeting In Sutton Can Increase Your Profit!
Author: Rhys Gibson
7. Different Ways Of Finding Custom Choppers On Sale In Brisbane
Author: Levi Fysh
8. Tips To Find The Best Auto Financing Rates
9. Points To Know When Financing New Car
Author: haggerty ford
10. Two Great Tips That Can Help You Maintain Your Bmw Luxury Car Better
Author: BMW Bavaria Motors
11. 3 Tips For You To Be Careful While Buying A Used Luxury Car
Author: BMW Parsoli Motors
12. Carbon Folding Bike – Folding Bicycle Is Designed To Deliver Maximum Convenience And Benefit For The
Author: Paul Pinigis
13. Essential Tips For Purchasing A New Car
14. Australian Transport Fuel Tanks On Show Across The World
15. Car Essentials – Things You Should Always Have In Your Car
Author: neel patel