ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
All The Things You Need To Know About Engine Dynamometers
Total Articles: 312
The most professional devices that can measure an engine's power and torque are the engine dynamometers. They are used by the engine manufacturers themselves.
In order to perform the measurements on the engine (this is done before the engine in mounted into the chassis), the engine is connected to the dynamometer with a shaft. Afterwards, the engine is ignited, and it is set to run at a constant speed, and the torque that is applied to the dynamometer is exactly the engine's torque. The results of these measurements are quite accurate and there are no losses because of friction.
The new-generation dynamometers are connected to computers and they are very easy to handle and operate. They can almost perfectly simulate racing and normal driving conditions.
When driving on the road, there are a few factors that may modify the way an engine acts and the power it produces. Among these there's the air's temperature, level of humidity and also its pressure. These can be taken into consideration when testing an engine with a dynamometer, with the help of some formulas the power that an engine can give can be calculated under several types of meteorological conditions, so how the power modifies when the air pressure drops for example can be easily calculated.
Real-life conditions can be simulated by increasing the temperature at which the dynamometer tests are performed, because the engine is heating up as it runs.
Anyway, it mustn't be forgotten that once the engine is installed into the chassis it will connect to the drivetrain, and this plus a few more things will make an important part of the power to be absorbed, so the readings from an engine dynamometer will be a little different. To measure the power of the dynamometer 'at the wheels' a chassis dynamometer is required.
Automobiles Articles1. Travel Bike – Folding Bike Fits For Just Any Type Of Road!
Author: Paul Pinigis
2. Top 10 Popular Upcoming Bikes In India To Launch In 2017 & 2018
Author: Adaalo India
3. Rockman - Automotive Component, Two Wheeler Parts, Alloy Wheels & Drive Chain Manufacturers In India
Author: Rockman Industries
4. Top 5 Tips For A Successful Auto Repair Service
Author: Paul Zervos
5. Raceway Kia Brings New Ownership With A Trusted Name
7. Car Inspection Services Debunk Risks Of Buying Used Cars
8. There Is No Risk With Certified Pre Owned Luxury Cars
9. Why A Test Drive Is A Good Idea While Deciding On Buying A Used Car?
Author: Ajinkya Satam
10. It’s All About Car Care Products
Author: neel patel
11. Vectra – The Top Manufacturers Of Excavator Attachment & Earth Movers Equipment In India & Europe
12. A Cookout For A Cause
13. Everything You Sort Of Wanted To Know About Car Batteries
Author: Jasonl Mosca
14. All You Need To Know About Trailers
Author: CS Trailers
15. The Roadworthy Certificate Is A Must For Every Vehicle To Ply On Road
Author: Luca Curtis