ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
All The Things You Need To Know About Engine Dynamometers
Total Articles: 312
The most professional devices that can measure an engine's power and torque are the engine dynamometers. They are used by the engine manufacturers themselves.
In order to perform the measurements on the engine (this is done before the engine in mounted into the chassis), the engine is connected to the dynamometer with a shaft. Afterwards, the engine is ignited, and it is set to run at a constant speed, and the torque that is applied to the dynamometer is exactly the engine's torque. The results of these measurements are quite accurate and there are no losses because of friction.
The new-generation dynamometers are connected to computers and they are very easy to handle and operate. They can almost perfectly simulate racing and normal driving conditions.
When driving on the road, there are a few factors that may modify the way an engine acts and the power it produces. Among these there's the air's temperature, level of humidity and also its pressure. These can be taken into consideration when testing an engine with a dynamometer, with the help of some formulas the power that an engine can give can be calculated under several types of meteorological conditions, so how the power modifies when the air pressure drops for example can be easily calculated.
Real-life conditions can be simulated by increasing the temperature at which the dynamometer tests are performed, because the engine is heating up as it runs.
Anyway, it mustn't be forgotten that once the engine is installed into the chassis it will connect to the drivetrain, and this plus a few more things will make an important part of the power to be absorbed, so the readings from an engine dynamometer will be a little different. To measure the power of the dynamometer 'at the wheels' a chassis dynamometer is required.
Automobiles Articles1. Buying A Used Or Pre Owned Vehicles For Sale In Chicago
2. How To Obtain Stress-free Car Financing In West Chicago
3. Choppers Modified From Old Harley Davidson Is Trending
Author: Levi Fysh
4. Experience Chauffer Service In Executive Cars Throughout London
Author: Toby Pratt
5. Save Big With Easy-run’s Fall Special!
Author: Al Freilich
6. Fordzero Down Lease Specialscheap Way To Drive New Ford Car
7. Cad, Cam, Cnc And Robots For Manufacturing In Future
Author: CAD, CAM, CNC And Robots For Manufacturing In Futu
8. Career Options And Job Opportunities For Mechanical Engineers
Author: Career Options And Job Opportunities For Mechanica
9. October Is National Transport Month
Author: Batteries & More
10. The 2017 Vw Golf Alltrack 135 Tdi: A Volkswagen Dealers Brief Overview
Author: Aaron Reddall
11. Important Things To Keep In Mind When Your Car Breaks Down
Author: Paul Zervos
12. E-rickshaws Are The Perfect Way To Keep Your City Green.
Author: Power Electric Vehicle
13. The Audi Car Dealers Miami Offer Certified Pre Owned Cars In Competitive Price
14. Top Three Reasons To Consider Outsourcing Your Cad Project
Author: Top Three Reasons To Consider Outsourcing Your CAD
15. For An Updated Speed — the Cummins’ Compound Turbo Way
Author: Rip Rook