ALL >> General >> View Article
Americans Fight To Stop SmokingBy Expert Author: Bernard Fowler
Companies in the public and private sector are picking up the slack, making it easier for workers to access quit smoking programs and harder for them to smoke. Hilary Tindle, a physician and director of the Tobacco Treatment Service at UPMC Presbyterian and Montefiore hospitals said that at UPMC, a new Tobacco-Free Workday Policy will be introduced in summer 2014 that will permit workers to smoke on their own time, not during their breaks. They want their workers to be tobacco free for the duration of their shift.
Dr. Tindle manages quit smoking and treatment programs for workers at the health care provider's hospitals and clinics, and also wrote a chapter on "Treatment of Tobacco Use" in the 50th Anniversary Surgeon General's Report, to be released January 18.
"If I walk from my research office, which is two blocks from Montefiore, I have to walk through clouds of smoke, so it really does seem like many people are still lighting up," she said, adding that hospital patients have been known to wheel their IV poles out of the building to smoke.
Even though smoking levels got decreased by more than half because of successful education, legislative and quit smoking efforts, lung cancer remains the Number One cancer provocateur, said Robert Keenan, a physician and chief of the department of thoracic surgery at Allegheny General Hospital.
Lung cancer rates among male smokers have dropped, reflecting the decrease in smoking among males beginning in the 1960s, lung cancer rates among females are rising slightly. Many progress has been developed to treat lung cancers, Dr. Keenan said, but since it frequently takes several decades for smoking's effects to appear as cancer, women's rates will not drop for some time. These days everyone could stop smoking.
Recent research found that many people lie about their smoking habits. More needs to be done, said Dr. Tindle, adding how aggressively tobacco is marketed to residents of low-income neighborhoods and youth. There is intensive advertising in magazines and social media, with candy-flavored tobacco products.
General Articles1. Post Market Surveillance Needs To Be Robust To Avoid Penal Regulatory Action
Author: Event Manager
2. Manav Infra Projects: Experts In Infrastructure Development Domain In India!
Author: Manav Infra
3. Why Branding Is A Non Negotiable Investment In The Fresh Produce (ffv) Space!
Author: Asha Sampath
4. Cavity Wax - Things You Should Be Aware Of!
Author: Efrain Rivas
5. What's The Difference Between Water Purification And Water Filtration?
Author: Ring Hot Water
6. Enjoy Pattaya Golf Course On Thailand Golf Tour
Author: Hanah Chen
7. Seeking Online Success - Hire Social Media Advertising Agency
8. Why Are Water Jets So Important?
Author: Colin Sponias
9. Cheap T-shirt Printing As Per Your Desire
Author: parveen kumar
10. What Are The Benefits Of Different Types Of Fans?
Author: Nanshi Pacheco
11. What You Don’t Know About Tiki Bars?
Author: Scott McCauley
12. Ethical Link Building Strategies Without The Seo Risks
Author: Swadesh Das
13. Advanced Travel Trends To Anticipate For In Year 2017
Author: Kundan Sharma
14. Visa For New Zealand
15. Get The Right Shape Of Your Need From The Cut And Sew Manufacturers
Author: parveen kumar