ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
A Global Solution To Regional Mass Transit
Total Articles: 312
As gasoline prices continue to fluctuate, regional mass transit systems look better and better as an alternative to personal automobiles for daily commuting. But, as these systems expand to meet the growing demand, they often run into an increasingly common dilemma.
Much of the best technology available today is from Europe and Asia, but most regional systems are government entities that must observe "Buy American" mandates when upgrading their infrastructure. Fortunately, reconciling the two demands doesn't always require settling for a less-than-optimal solution.
Chicago's Metra commuter rail is a case in point. Metra serves 500 miles of track and 230 stations in six counties. As part of a plan to upgrade both efficiency and customer satisfaction levels, Metra is replacing aging passenger cars with new Highliner cars, featuring the latest mass-transit technology from around the world.
The cars are being built by a Japanese company, Nippon Sharyo, and powered by Toshiba traction motors, but the final drives-a key high-value component-will be supplied by Voith Turbo of York, Pa. The final drives will be assembled and tested in Pennsylvania using gear wheels, bearings, seals and gear couplings from qualified U.S. suppliers.
"These units will help Nippon meet the 60 percent American content requirement for the New cars with no sacrifice in either quality or technology,' said Voith sales engineer Michael Klug.
The drives feature an advanced design that helps prevent oil leakage, making the new cars more environmentally friendly than the ones they replace. They are also compact and robust, which contributes to rider comfort by increasing the car's reliability, and to operational efficiency by reducing maintenance requirements.
The first 16 Highliner cars went into service with Metra already. Voith will deliver a total of 116 final drives over the life of the program.
We expect this kind of partnership to be the model for many more regional transportation systems across the U.S. added Klug. The marriage of global technology and local manufacturing and service is very hard to beat.
Automobiles Articles1. Gps- Global Tracking Solutions Taking Industries To New Heights
Author: Kapil Yadav
2. Advantages Of Lease Or Finance A New Car
3. Busting The Most Overhyped Myths About Car Detailing Kent Wa With Facts
Author: Davis Miller
4. How To Drive Safe In The Wintry Days In New Zealand
Author: Steling Brake
5. How To Polish Your Car By Hand
Author: neel patel
6. Rockman – The Champion Of Automotive Component, Alloy Wheels, Drive Chain, Two Wheeler & Auto Parts
Author: Rockman Industries
7. Auto Financing Tips When Purchasing Cars
Author: Ken Bailey
8. 4 Major Tips And Tricks For Car Theft Protection: With Gps Vehicle Tracking System
Author: Randeep Kumar
9. Tips For Purchasing A Used Car
Author: Jason L. Mosca
10. Infoglobaldata Redefines Email Marketing Strategy With Automobile Industry Mailing List
Author: Mark Griffith
11. The Roadworthy Certificate Is A Must For Selling Your Car
Author: Luca Curtis
12. Reasons Owning Custom Bike Will Change Your Status
Author: Levi Fysh
13. Create The Right Impression By Hiring London Chauffeur
Author: Toby Pratt
14. Vehicle Dashboard Gauges
Author: Vitaly Sandyrev
15. The Main Reasons Cars Breakdown