ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Travelers Not Getting Enough Shut Eye
Total Articles: 468
Many have found that it is easier to identify cheap travel options, such as cheap airplane tickets, discount hotel rooms, and cheap vacation packages than it is to get a good night’s sleep while on the road.
People tend to often feel wired and tired while traveling. Experts contend that America has become a nation of walking zombies that does not properly value sleep.
Around 66 percent of Americans do not get enough sleep during the week according to a recent national Sleep Foundation poll. Most respondents said that they need 7.5 hours a night to feel their best. The study found that blinking lights from various electronic devices make sleeping all the more difficult.
In response hotels in large and small cities alike are dimming lights, removing digital clocks from rooms, hiring sleep concierges, offering meditation, pillow menus, and relaxation massages. Some guests are even being hooking up to an intravenous infusion.
The Benjamin hotel in Manhattan recently hired a sleep consultant to oversee its sleep program, train staff in sleep care, and consult guests. The hotel has removed digital clocks from rooms, and offers pillows named “Swedish Memory” and encourages jet lagged guests to power nap.
Guests are offered an aromatherapy and massage based “Restorative Sleep Ritual” and the “Sacred Sleep/Healing Dreams” meditation at the Joya Spa in the Montelucia Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona. This hotel has found that many of its guests are stressed and not getting enough sleep. Its aim is to help their guests relax on a deeper level.
Guests can opt for an intravenous therapy of vitamins and antioxidants, including vitamin B, which is supposed to be help induce better sleep. The theory is that by providing the body with adequate nutrients to support the body’s normal physiological function, balance can be restored which in turn contributes to higher quality sleep.
Medical professions warn that sleep has become a commercial issue and that sleep remedies offered by hotels and others do not always benefit the recipient. Sleep medicine is a relatively new accredited specialty, having grown out of advances in research since the discovery of rapid eye movement during sleep in 1953.
While there tends to be disagreement over which sleep tactics are most effective, sleep tends to depend on a person’s state of mind. If a guest goes to a spa and is convinced that aromatherapy helps induce sleep, that person may well sleep better afterwards.
The late 1990s witnessed “bed wars” during which many hotels upgraded their bedding in response to Starwood’s Westin Hotels roll out of its Heavenly beds. Today the focus on improved sleep ambience has shifted to factors such as lighting and air quality.
Travel Articles1. Explore 5 Beautiful Lakes In Ooty Apart From Ooty Lake
2. The Best Offering Package For The Holy Tour Of Chardham Yatra This Coming September
Author: Char Dham Yatra
3. Different Rides For Prom In Chicago From A Charter Coach Bus Rental Company
4. Let Loose In Los Angeles With Bus Tours
Author: Hire Charter Bus
5. Natural Meets History Of The Kruger National Park
6. Five Free Things To Do In Key West
Author: Dale Dunlop
7. Destination Key West: Popular Attractions
Author: Dale Dunlop
8. Cycling Tours In The French Alps
Author: David Luther
9. Top Trekking & Hiking Trails In Nepal
Author: Mountain Hawk Trekking
10. Mardi Himal Trek - Best Alternative To Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Author: Himalaya Trekking Team
11. Three Exquisite Yet Cultural Cities Of Peshawar That You May Never Want To Leave
Author: Flights Masters
12. Rent The Driver’s Place; Enjoy With Family And Kids On Your Trips
Author: Robert Anhouse
13. Dmz Taxi Tour – Driver Guide Tour Can Make The Dmz Tour A More Planned One!
Author: Brian Lee
14. The Car Rental Dubai Agency Is Your One Stop Shop To Hire The Best Car Of Your Choice
15. Areas Of Cuba
Author: Stephen David