ALL >> Environment >> View Article
The Need For Social Development
Total Articles: 185
In the environmental crisis that we are faced with today, everyone needs to do their bit. When we talk about corporate responsibility, we actually referto the kind ofresponsibility that a corporate body has towards the society, its employees and the nation as well. It is important for organizations to be aware of theircorporate responsibility and do what is necessary to help the society, as a whole.
Recently, Wipro Cares, a part of Wipro’s society outreach programs launched an initiative wherein as their social developmentproject; they are settingup four separatecategories to help people, namely education, healthcare, environment and disasterrehabilitation. Wipro Cares believes that itis the responsibility of every individual and organization to give back to the society in any way they can, and this is how Wipro is doing its part.
As part of its attempt to educate the underprivileged in the urban areas, Wipro Cares has started to provide them vocational training, or schooling through bridge schools and non-formal schools, in the urban ghettos of Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune, Gurgaon, Midnapore and the CEPE, Philippines.
The health care services include basic hygiene including personal hygiene and community hygiene, clean potable water, primary health care, counseling where necessary and nutritional guidance and advice.
• Project Sanjeevani aims at providing basic health care, working along with another NGO in the drought hit villages in Aurangabad district. Due to extreme poverty malnutrition is widespread in this area, where people are at the mercy of the rains. Infant mortality rates are high and medical attention to mothers during their child bearing days is almost zero.
• The Tumkur manufacturing unit is working to help bring primary healthcare to around 11000 people in ten villages in this backward area that is drought-prone, along with ActionAid and other NGOs.
• Another manufacturing unit in the Hindupur district of Andhra Pradesh is helping the poverty-stricken and drought-hit villages in the surrounding areas, reaching out to 12000 people, providing them with basic health care; it is particularly helpful to them because as there are no state or national highways nearby, this is a grossly neglected area.
• Amalner Health Care Project aims to provide this hugely backward and drought hit area of small time farmers and laborers with primary health care, nutrition and diet advice, women and children’s healthcare and micro financing to provide some succor from the unrelenting poverty.
• In Mysore, Wipro Cares works with Action Aid and the Rural Literacy and Health Programme, which works to bring education and healthcare to backward areas. Some of these villages are made up of scheduled caste and other backward castes, with people having no access to any government healthcare or sanitation or clean potable water.
• The Kaikondrahalli Lake Sanitation Project aims to provide sanitation facilities to the people living in the vicinity of the lake, to prevent pollution and to also encourage students to continue their education, particularly the girls – as lack of proper sanitation was a contributing factor to the girls dropping out of high school, located close to the lake.
Wipro is a pioneer in honouring its commitment towards social development, which is part of its corporate responsibility and social obligation.
Environment Articles1. A Perfect Date In The Clouds
Author: SkyWaltz Balloon Safari
2. Kenya To Produce Fertilizer From Hyacinth
Author: Elena Forbes
3. Call Centers In India: A Step Towards A New Era
4. How Solar Energy Works And How You Could Take Advantage From It?
Author: Solar Etribe
5. Battle Of The Solar Manufacturers
6. An Intro To The Solar Hot Water Heater
Author: Ross Barkely
7. Say Hello To The Highly-efficient Solar On Grid Systems
Author: Solar on Grid Systems
8. Epa To Consider Controlling Polyfluoroalkyl Substances
Author: Environmental Resource Center
9. Solar Products Manufacturers In India
Author: Solar E tribe
10. The Future Of Solar Energy In The India What To Expect
Author: SOLAR eTRIBE
11. Solar Installation Training In India. How To Become One?
Author: SOLAR eTRIBE
12. Looking For Solar Leads? Find A Lead
13. How To Choose The Right Solar Energy Leads
Author: Solar e tribe
14. How Can India Become Globally Competitive In Solar Module Manufacturing
15. FundaciÓn Bioplanet - Lucha Por El Cambio ClimÁtico
Author: FUNDACIÓN BIOPLANET