ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Mechanism Of An Ignition Interlock System
Total Articles: 1
If you have ever been suspected of drunk driving and have been asked to give a breath sample, then you know that this is a very serious matter indeed. Although state laws differ but if you are convicted of DWI/DUI, the courts may mandate that you have installed in your car an igntion interlock device (IID). The device is used to calculate the BAC or Blood Alcohol Concentration level in the driver’s breath. If the BAC level of the driver exceeds the permissible limit (which is 0.08 in general), the device will not allow the driver to start the vehicle.
Steps to use the interlock device
Following are the essential steps that you should know before using an IID:
• Turn “ON” the ignition of your vehicle
• You will receive a request to blow into your IID
• Measurement of BAC will take place
• If your breath sample is accepted means-your vehicle starter will be “ENABLED” and you can start your vehicle
• If your breath sample is rejected means- your vehicle starter will be “DISABLED” and you can’t start your vehicle.
How does this IID work?
The interlock devices are generally portable and work on fuel-cell testing mechanism. When you blow into the IID, it oxidizes the alcohol present in your breath sample and gives off an electrical current. The production of electrical current gets higher with the amount of breath alcohol that is being oxidized. Thereafter, the fuel cell evaluates the current to calculate the BAC approximately.
How is the data stored in the IID?
At the time when the vehicle is in operation, all the important events are saved in the data record. The vital info that is stored in the device’s data record include: the date, time, measured alcohol level, submission of a breath sample, refusal of a breath sample, the number of engine starts and stops and any other endeavors to fiddle with the interlock device. All these data can be recorded in a data log and it can be delivered electronically as well. If the court asks you to show a copy of data record of your IID, you can easily download it and present it before them.
Ignition interlock devices do not calculate the exact BAC of the driver but they can give only a rough estimate based on the examination of the alcohol found in the driver’s breath. A blood test gives the exact reading of the alcohol’s amount present in the suspect’s blood. Thus, if you are confident that your BAC is less than the legal limit, you should take proper precautions to insure the accuracy of these devices.
About The Author:
This article is written by Mark Jones on behalf of covercup, this is having topics on ignition interlock buy, vehicle interlock devices and many more.
Legal Articles1. No Additional Burden On Home-buyers Under Gst, Landlords Stay Exempt - Best Time To Buy Property
Author: The Hemisphere
2. Quick Guide For Selecting The Best Personal Injury Attorney For A Slip And Fall Case
Author: Ladas Law
3. Get Aware Of The Right Family Lawyer In Fort Worth
Author: J Kevin Clark
4. Ten Kinds Of Car Accident Injuries That Require You To Hire An Expert Dallas Accident Lawyer
Author: Nick Feizy
5. Boston Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Win The Case
Author: Powers Caccavale
6. Top 3 Reasons A Business In London Needs A Commercial Law Firm More Than Ever.
Author: Hudson Mckenzie
7. Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim In Arizona?
8. When To Seek An Accident Attorney In Comparative Negligence Cases
9. Bail Process: Questions To Ask A Bail Bondsman
Author: Emily Stone
10. Cycle Accident: How To Ask For Compensation
Author: Chris Thayer
11. Choose Best Law Firm For Tough Legal Problem
12. Points To Keep In Mind Before Hiring A Car Accident Attorney
13. The Biggest Myth About Family Law Attorney Exposed
Author: V. Wayne Ward
14. Defective Seat Belts:how An Attorney Can Help You
15. Different Type Of Legal Services Are Provided By Lexlords
Author: Lex Lords