ALL » Legal >> View Article
Mechanism Of An Ignition Interlock SystemBy Expert Author: Mark Jones
If you have ever been suspected of drunk driving and have been asked to give a breath sample, then you know that this is a very serious matter indeed. Although state laws differ but if you are convicted of DWI/DUI, the courts may mandate that you have installed in your car an igntion interlock device (IID). The device is used to calculate the BAC or Blood Alcohol Concentration level in the driver’s breath. If the BAC level of the driver exceeds the permissible limit (which is 0.08 in general), the device will not allow the driver to start the vehicle.
Steps to use the interlock device
Following are the essential steps that you should know before using an IID:
• Turn “ON” the ignition of your vehicle
• You will receive a request to blow into your IID
• Measurement of BAC will take place
• If your breath sample is accepted means-your vehicle starter will be “ENABLED” and you can start your vehicle
• If your breath sample is rejected means- your vehicle starter will be “DISABLED” and you can’t start your vehicle.
How does this IID work?
The interlock devices are generally portable and work on fuel-cell testing mechanism. When you blow into the IID, it oxidizes the alcohol present in your breath sample and gives off an electrical current. The production of electrical current gets higher with the amount of breath alcohol that is being oxidized. Thereafter, the fuel cell evaluates the current to calculate the BAC approximately.
How is the data stored in the IID?
At the time when the vehicle is in operation, all the important events are saved in the data record. The vital info that is stored in the device’s data record include: the date, time, measured alcohol level, submission of a breath sample, refusal of a breath sample, the number of engine starts and stops and any other endeavors to fiddle with the interlock device. All these data can be recorded in a data log and it can be delivered electronically as well. If the court asks you to show a copy of data record of your IID, you can easily download it and present it before them.
Ignition interlock devices do not calculate the exact BAC of the driver but they can give only a rough estimate based on the examination of the alcohol found in the driver’s breath. A blood test gives the exact reading of the alcohol’s amount present in the suspect’s blood. Thus, if you are confident that your BAC is less than the legal limit, you should take proper precautions to insure the accuracy of these devices.
About The Author:
This article is written by Mark Jones on behalf of covercup, this is having topics on ignition interlock buy, vehicle interlock devices and many more.
Legal Articles1. Finish Your Property Related Work Fast With The Estate Lawyer Vancouver Services
Author: John Petter
2. Hiring An Attorney Lessens The Severe Penalties
Author: MICHAEL GREENBERG
3. Top Risks Associated With Ivc Filter Injury And How To Find Perfect Legal Help In Ft. Worth
Author: Nick Feizy
4. Aquel Alquiler Coche Alicante Se Agrupa Un Desperdiciamiento Topológico
Author: Katherina Soto
5. The Lemon Law
Author: Howard Gutman
6. Cuanto Alquiler De Coche En Alicante Zahoria Este Libertarismo Gesticulador
Author: Faith Real
7. Seat Belt Injury Law Firm – The Safety Purpose Of Seat Belts
8. El Alquiler Coches Aeropuerto Alicante Desenlabona Ese Telonero Arbitrador Excepto Un Mecato Sangui
Author: Latia Gaunt
9. Best Interests Of The Child: What Guides Judges’ Decision-making
10. Forensic Document & Handwriting Examiner | James A. Green
Author: James A. Green
11. 7 Must Take Steps After Encountering A Catastrophic Auto Accident In Texas
12. Things To Know About Filing Personal Injury Claims
13. What Steps You Must Follow To File A Medical Negligence Claim
Author: Charlie Alcott
14. Is There Difficulty In Finding Answers To Your Carpet Cleaning?
Author: Helen Raley
15. The Houston Criminal Defense Attorneys Are Experts In Dealing With All Types Of Criminal Cases