ALL >> Web-Design >> View Article
Traffic Policing On 3750 Switch
Total Articles: 4
We have a Cisco 3750 WS-C3750V2-48TS-S WS-C3750V2-48TS-S
switch and an ASA. The ASA has 100Mbps bandwidth from ISP and it has two ports connected to the switch (inside and outside). 100 users are behind this ASA to access internet. What we want to achieve is to throttle the download rate for these 100 users to 70Mbps and retain the rest of the 30Mbps for other services.
Ideally I should do the traffic shaping/policing on the switch for the outside interface outbound direction. But according to Cisco article, 3750 series only allows to do the traffic shaping/policing on the inbound traffic not outbound. My question is:
If I do the traffic shaping/polcing on the switch for inside interface ingress direction, will it also work?
Litterally it shouldn't work because it only restrict the rate between users (LAN) and the ASA inside interface. However, does TCP protocol know how to adjust the rate to avoid too much packets being dropped before it goes to the inside interface? So the rate between ISP and the ASA outside can also be shaped? It's something related to TCP congestion theory I think. Anyone ever tested this in your environment or do you have other suggestions?
access-list 101 permit ip any any
class-map match-any RSP_ASA_Class
match access-group 101
police 70000000 1000000 exceed-action drop
service-policy input RSP_ASA
The policy will throttle the traffic by dropping packets that violate it. TCP is designed to account for packet loss though, so it will retransmit. The combination effectively limits speeds when shaping isn't an option. It's standard practice when dealing with incoming traffic.
Shaping is better than policing, but can only be done outbound. It gives the device the option of queuing packets rather than just dropping them like policing does. The ASA can do it, but not selectively.
It doesn't look like shaping WS-C3750V2-24TS-S WS-C3750V2-24TS-S is going to be an option here, so falling back on policing and relying on TCP's retransmission mechanism will work well.
Web Design Articles1. Hire Advanced Web Development Company For Web Design
Author: Mars Web Prashanth
2. Get Lucrative And Attractive Websites With Top Web Design Company In Delhi
3. Strong Reasons Why Wordpress Ended The Most Appreciated Cms Worldwide
Author: Rose Carter
4. Rising Demand For Wordpress Development Company India
Author: Ashutosh Tiwari
5. Features, Advantages And Disadvatages Of Drupal Web Development
Author: Illiana Carter
6. Bootstrap Laravel Admin Template- Admire
Author: Suma Nehwaal
7. Why Mobile Friendly Website Is Critical For Seo
Author: Ana williams
8. Importance Of Website Designing Services
9. How To Make A Perfect Landing Page
10. Things That Required While Using A Website Designing Services
Author: shalini ahuja
11. Why You Should Choose Responsive Web Design For Your Business
Author: Jenny Pitula
12. Choose The Amazing Auto Delux Classified Script To Start Your Own Business Portal
Author: sawati rawat
13. Tips On Choosing A Reputable Seo Company In Birmingham
Author: Jenny Tom
14. Why Is Everyone Talking About Web And Graphic Designing?
Author: Illiana Carter
15. Ui Ux Design In Surat
Author: Cears Infotech