ALL >> General >> View Article
Cherokee Nation Welcomes New Tobacco Compact With Oklahoma
Total Articles: 27
This month the Cherokee Nation Council adopted a law which will establish a new tobacco compact with Oklahoma state, Indian Country.
The Cherokee Nation-State of Oklahoma Tobacco Tax Compact Act of 2013 is created to offer greater benefits to tobacco shop owners with Cherokee tribal jurisdictions in northeast Oklahoma while permitting Oklahoma to gather 100% of its tax revenue share upfront.
“It is going to be a great victory for all parties involved,” said Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Bill John Baker. “The state will get its share, local smoke shop owners will do better than they ever did under the previous agreement, and the Cherokee Nation will recapture some of the lost market share within our authority.”
Under the Cherokee Nation’s previous agreement, the Nation gathered a $1.50 tribal tax and the State gathered 50% of all applicable state cigarette taxes for sales to tribal retailers. The tribe was not permitted to reduce any part of the tribal tax to tobacco retailers.
The new agreement gradually lowers tribal tax levels on cigarette cartons by retailers. Through the end of 2013, the tax rate will be $3.65 per carton, with an eventual tax rate of $.80 per carton by October 1, 2014.
By May 1, 2018, tax revenues will be split 50/50 between the Cherokee Nation and Oklahoma. That split will continue through the end of the agreement on December 31, 2024.
Tax revenue splits for all other tobacco products will be 65/35 between the Cherokee Nation and Oklahoma through December 31 2017, and a 50/50 revenue distribution beginning January 1, 2018 through the end of the compact.
Since 1991, Oklahoma was authorized to gather state taxes on tobacco products sold by tribal businesses to non-tribal members. According to Cherokee Nation Deputy Speaker Janelle Fullbright, the new tobacco act demonstrates their support as a government for these tobacco shop owners and all the people they employ. They hope that the agreement will increase sales revenue to benefit tribal retailers and retain hundreds of jobs within the tribal jurisdiction.
General Articles1. A Guide To Western Digital Hard Drives
Author: Sandra White
2. Hiring Service Providers For Your Fabrication Jobs
Author: Sia Benet
3. How To Use B2c Retail Sales With Aibaba Clone Script
4. Appreciating Work Of Underprivileged Children Organizations
Author: Shuaiba Rahaman
5. Tips Every Vaper Must Consider While Buying Vape E-liquid In South Africa
Author: Vape Monarch
6. Capture The Best Candid Moments Of Indian Wedding
Author: Manish Vishwakarma
7. We Are Here To Help
Author: WE ARE HERE TO HELP
8. Global E-top Up Api Has Made The Mobile Recharge Easier And Comfortable Anytime And In Anywhere.
9. The Unexposed Secret Of Marrakech Airport
Author: Carrole Dcosta
10. Brand New Mixcder Bluetooth Headphones With Aptx Low Latency For Your Smart Phone With No Jack
Author: Cassie Chow
11. Learn To Choose The Right Over Ear Headphones By Understanding Headset Specs (part 3)-sensitivity
Author: Cassie Chow
12. Purchase Books Online And Save Your Money
Author: Harry Anderson
13. Why Is Silver Plated Copper Wire A Next Generation Thing?
Author: Nitin Pratap Singh
14. Lenovo Laptop Issues And Their Solutions.
Author: For Lenovo Laptop and Computer Support.
15. Joint Shower And Bathtub
Author: Joint shower and bathtub