ALL >> Travel >> View Article
American Merger May Lead To More Cheap Fares
Total Articles: 468
Travelers who value cheap travel options, such as cheap airplane tickets, discount travel deals, and cheap vacation packages, may well be pleased with the impact of the American Airlines and US Airways merger, which some travel experts believe will ultimately benefit consumers.
Final approval of this merger was provided by the Department of Justice (DOJ) after the airline agreed to give up dozens of gates in New York and Washington, valued at $17 billion.
American and United agreed to give up 52 slot pairs at Ronald Regan Washington National, 17 slot pairs at New York LaGuardia, and others at Boston Logan International, Chicago O’Hare International, Dallas’ Love Field, Lost Angeles International, and Miami International.
The freed slot pairs are expected to be turned over to low cost airlines, with JetBlue expected to be a big winner. This agreement may also result in the creation of additional low cost startup airlines.
By giving up airport gates in New York and Washington more competition will enter those markets most likely resulting in lower airfares.
The DOJ contends that by turning over American gates in key US airports to low cost airlines that passengers will see more competition on nonstop and connecting routes throughout the country.
Also another byproduct of this merger is that there will be a fourth strong competitor against Delta, Southwest, and United that otherwise would be absent.
American Airlines will be financially stronger as a result of this merger and expects to see its customer service improve. The airline has hired 1,500 flight attendants and 1,000 reservation agents this year and expects to start hiring new pilots shortly for the first time in ten years.
For the merger to be finalized a few more approvals are needed, including a late November U.S. Bankruptcy Court hearing. The deal is now expected to close in the first half of December. Travelers should start seeing the airlines operating as one on January 7th, the scheduled date for frequent flier programs to converge, along with other changes.
The loss of American/US Airways gates at Reagan will likely result in smaller and midsize cities losing service unless the federal government chooses to reassign gates based on guarantees that certain cities would continue to be serviced.
The new American Airlines will have 6,700 flights a day to 330 destinations, making it the largest airline in the world.
Travel Articles1. Finding Spot For Organizing School Picnic Has Become Easy
2. Irving Taxi Service Gives The Best Transport Service For Your Weekend Trip
Author: Irving Instant Cab
3. Choose Vacation Home Rentals Jasper Ar For Limitless Excitement
Author: Kirby Burk
4. Petra Tours - A Useful Guide For First-timers
5. Assisted Tour Package Prove As The Best To Explore The Face Of Rajasthan
Author: Colourful Indian Holidays
6. Charisma Of Affordable Christchurch Holiday Package
Author: Damien McConnell
7. Benefits To Hire Personal Driver Nyc Services
Author: Robert Anhouse
8. Show Proper Significance With A Limousine Rental In Atlanta
Author: John Anderson
9. For Covering Long Distances Choose The Premium Cab Service Provider
Author: John Watson
10. Impress The In-laws With Cheap Car Service Houston
Author: MARK Jones
11. 4 Popular And Best Foods To Eat When In South Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
12. 4 Best Beaches In Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
13. How To Plan Vacation Tours In Croatia
Author: Alfred Hunter
14. Stylish And Purposeful Wedding Arrangements For Limousine Service In Minneapolis
Author: john wick
15. If Planning A Home Relocation, Leave Entire Household To Moving Services Richmond Va
Author: Stewart Moving & Storage