ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Brain Injuries And Legal Liability
Total Articles: 56
Who Bears Legal Liability for Brain Injuries?
Traumatic brain injuries are devastating to one’s health, enjoyment of life and finances. When someone else’s negligence caused the injury, they are liable for its costs.
There are many different causes of brain injuries: About half are from auto accidents, but what is referred to as TBIs – traumatic brain injuries – can come from simple slip-and-fall accidents, industrial or workplace mishaps, violent impacts in sports and recreation, and criminal acts such as a blow to the head or a bullet wound. A brain injury usually follows an impact to the head, but severe shaking of the body can also damage brain tissue.
What individuals with TBI share are disabilities that can affect them the remainder of their lives. In addition to severely reduced or eliminated lifetime earnings, the individual suffering a brain injury will experience medical costs, expenses related to therapy and caregiving, and pain and suffering.
Whenbrain injury is caused by someone else’s mistake, the injured individual should recover these losses through litigation.Consider these specific scenarios where the liability lies with another person’s mistake:
Negligent (including DUI) driving – As it happens in a large percentage of cases, an individual’s decision to drive recklessly or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can inflict catastrophic damage on others.
Poorly supervised athletics – Evidence mounts that amateur and professional sports can cause meaningful brain damage over time. But bad coaching, negligent oversight of athletic facilities or faulty equipment can cause immediate and serious brain injury.
Medical error – For example, “off label” use of Botox as encouraged by its manufacturer has been found responsible for a severe brain injury suffered by a Virginia man.The jury awarded him $12 million, in part to cover his 24-7 care.
The work of the brain injury lawyer is to identify the cause of the injury and who bears liability for that cause. A simple slip-and-fall on a stairway at home is usually the misstep of the victim. But if negligent hospital treatment of that individual is found to have worsened the effect of the fall – perhaps when a decompressivecraniectomy is mistakenly used –some liability can fall on the healthcare provider.
A personal injury attorney with brain injury experience can guide the injured and his or her family through the process of determining lifetime costs and the lawsuit itself. Expert counsel is almost always required in such cases.
Legal Articles1. Contact Criminal Defense Lawyer Houston To Safeguard Your Legal Interests
2. How To Find Best Dui Lawyer In New Jersey
Author: Michael Curtis Greenberg
3. Legal Agreement Template
4. Bail Bonds Services Might Help Create A Stressful Time Easier
5. Answering The Question About The Working Of Immigration Lawyer
Author: Kri Law
6. All You Need To Know About The Truck Accidents Attorney
Author: Bkr Law
7. Why To Sought The Assistance Of Truck Accident Lawyer?
Author: Sgro Law
8. Is Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney/lawyer Really Necessary?
Author: MICHAEL T. FRIEDMAN
9. Be Served For The Better In Hiring Car Accident Attorney/lawyer
Author: JON ALAN LAFFERTY
10. Tips On How To Settle Your Slip And Fall Claim
11. Three Things To Look For In A Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Author: Marcus McGowan
12. How Oklahoma Business Lawyers Can Help You With Gun Trust Law
13. Arizona's Dog Bite Laws And How To Protect Yourself
14. Wrongful Death Attorney - How To File A Wrongful Death Claim
15. 7 Reasons Why Feizy Law Firm Has Got The Best Injury Attorney For Compensation In Dallas
Author: Nick Feizy