ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
Defensive Driving - Drive And Survive
Total Articles: 312
Defensive Driving techniques are increasingly seen as necessary by professional drivers. There are a lot of unskilled and reckless drivers on our roads today and drivers who drive defensively are less likely to be involved in an accident with one.
What is Defensive Driving? Essentially it is driving your vehicle correctly, while at the same time adjusting your driving to take into account the possible and actual actions of less experienced or more aggressive drivers.
You can do courses in Defensive Driving, and this should be your aim. You can only learn so much by reading.
How do I drive defensively?
1. Expect the unexpected. There may be a runaway horse galloping towards you just around that blind bend. Hey, there was a man killed in Ireland in March 2006 by running into two horses!
2. Expect aggression from other drivers, but avoid reacting to that aggression.
3. Use your mirrors and be aware of everything that is going on around you.
4. Know the dimensions of your Car, so that you know exactly how far you can pull over, if necessary.
5. Avoid loud music while you are driving. You need to be aware of everything that is happening to your vehicle and to others on the road around you.
6. Make sure your vehicle is well maintained, with tire pressures set correctly. If your vehicle is well maintained you will be able to adjust your speed more quickly and more safely to traffic and other conditions on the road around you.
7. Driving needs all of your attention, all of the time. Make sure your passengers understand that. Avoid smoking, using the phone, or drinking soda while you are driving.
Look for clues as to what other drivers are going to do.
These clues may be simple ones like the lowered suspension favored by many aggressive drivers, or the direction another driver is looking in.
Look which way the front wheels are turned.
Listen for gear changes that signify another driver is getting ready to accelerate.
Watch the line other drivers take as they approach intersections, it gives you a good indication of where they are going, even if they do not use indicators.
Look out for small children in other vehicles, they may distract the driver at a crucial instant.
Houston Truck Dealerships
Chevy Tahoe Houston
Automobiles Articles1. Student Auto Loan Now At Your Reached
2. Don't Make The $500 Mistake
Author: Al Freilich
3. Is Your Next Vehicle A Luxury Car?
Author: Mike Hamby
4. Choose Auto Repair Shop Where Mechanic Give An Accurate Diagnosis
Author: Haggerty Ford
5. How To Detail Car Like A Pro
Author: neel patel
6. Things You Probably Didn't Know About Sell Your Car
Author: Ewan Thorpe
7. Lessons That Will Teach You All You Need To Know About Auto Care
Author: James Elston
8. How Car Valeting In Sutton Can Increase Your Profit!
Author: Rhys Gibson
9. Different Ways Of Finding Custom Choppers On Sale In Brisbane
Author: Levi Fysh
10. Tips To Find The Best Auto Financing Rates
11. Points To Know When Financing New Car
Author: haggerty ford
12. Two Great Tips That Can Help You Maintain Your Bmw Luxury Car Better
Author: BMW Bavaria Motors
13. 3 Tips For You To Be Careful While Buying A Used Luxury Car
Author: BMW Parsoli Motors
14. Carbon Folding Bike – Folding Bicycle Is Designed To Deliver Maximum Convenience And Benefit For The
Author: Paul Pinigis
15. Essential Tips For Purchasing A New Car