ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Hyderabad - City Of Pearls
Total Articles: 34
Widely known for authentic Dum-ka-Biryani, Hyderabad is also famous for pearls. Many tourists won't leave the city without buying them. Hyderabad is popularly known as the 'City of Pearls', even though it is not near to any sea. The pearl market in Hyderabad is wide spread and we can find many experienced merchants in the city. Original pearls are easily available in the market and they come in various sizes, shapes, colours and prices. The city is a centre for trading in India.
The history of pearl trading in Hyderabad city is more than 400 years old. Originally, they were traded from Basra in Persian Gulf. Later, the Nizams traded them in abundance. Craftsmen in Hyderabad were skilled in processing, grading and drilling of pearls and that is what makes Hyderabad an important destination for them.
In the outskirts of Hyderabad, there is a village called Chandampet. It is 10 kms from Tupran on the route to Kamarreddy on Medchal highway road, where the entire population of the village is involved in drilling pearls, a unique skill.
There are three types of pearls available in the city. They are natural, cultured and semi-cultured. Natural ones are obtained from oysters in the sea; usually they are not in a perfect shape.
Cultured ones can be real and natural. They are formed inside an oyster through artificial means; all that are sold in the market are cultured. Semi-cultured are machine-made and come in various shapes and colours. Of the three, the finest quality original ones are highly valued.
The famous and rarest varieties of the lot are the Rice and Basra. The Rice pearl is a tiny variety available only in the selected places of the city like General bazaar, Char Kaman and Gulzar Houz. The second variety Basra is famous for its unmatched sheen, colour and glaze.
Pearls are studded in gold, silver and imitation jewellery. The designs of this jewellery are marvellous and they are used to make different ornaments like pendants, rings, earrings, bangles, necklaces, bracelets, brooches, tie tacks and many more to choose from.
Places to buy in Hyderabad
Pearls are available in every nook and corner of Hyderabad. But if you are looking for variety at affordable prices, then places like Pattargatti and Laad bazaar are best choices. They are also available in markets like Basheerbagh and General bazaar.
Pearls of Hyderabad are admired and possessed by people around the world. The city is a destination for rare, lustrous and various varieties that come in different sizes, shapes, colours and prices. If you are a pearl lover, then Hyderabad city has all of them.
Hyderabad-india-online.com (HIOC) is a website about Hyderabad city in India that publishes updates, information and opinions on Hyderabad markets, real estate, maps and other topics.
Travel Articles1. Numerous Benefits Of Hiring Dfw Airport Taxi Or Shuttle Service In Texas!
Author: Shaik Hossain
2. Guided Tours To The Magical Hobbiton From Tauranga
Author: Roger Simister
3. How To Enjoy Great Facilities With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Daisy Wilkinson
4. Stylish Rides And Low Prices With Limousine Washington Dc
Author: Stylish rides and low prices with Limousine Washin
5. Plan Your Vacation To Luton Airport- Hire Great Britain Cars
Author: jack pero
6. Rajasthan’s Top Tourist Attractions To Visit In Summer Season
Author: Swati Jain
7. Travel The Unforgettable Experience Of Africa’s Amazing Botswana And Serengeti Balloon Safaris
Author: Ombeni African Safari
8. Top Places That Compel A Solo Explorer To Travel In India
Author: Aura Voyages
9. Latin America Tourism Is Booming And Tour Operator Offers The Best Advice To Get The Most Of It!
Author: Anna Avanesova
10. Book Your Hoi An Hotel From Us
Author: Ms. Emma Tran
11. Enjoy A Variety Of Benefits With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
12. 4 Things That You Can Only Buy In Turkey
13. Get Married In San Antonio With A Wedding Party Bus San Antonio
Author: Cheap Limo Service DC
14. 3 Quirkiest Bars In Melbourne That Are Straight Out Of Your Dreams
15. Wedding Guest Transportation In Phoenix Charter Bus Rental
Author: Hire Charter Bus