ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
New Advances Made In Hydrogen Fuel Cells
Total Articles: 312
The best hope for bringing the hydrogen-fueled automobile to the American roadway may be a technology that is invisible to the naked eye.
The technology is in the form of tiny graphite structures that together act as a sponge to absorb and store hydrogen in the fuel system of the automobile. Onboard storage of hydrogen gas is the major obstacle impeding the progress and wide-scale commercial production of the hydrogen-powered vehicle, which many view as the next generation in energy-efficient and environmentally friendly road transportation.
The graphite structures are a product of the burgeoning field of nanotechnology. Engineers design the structures at the molecular level, working in scales as small as millimeters and nanometers. The engineers stack the fibrous platelets one atop the other, leaving the optimum gap between the wafers; then they arrange the chemistry so that hydrogen molecules are absorbed in the graphite.
The nanostructures are extremely porous, like a sponge, allowing them to absorb large capacities of hydrogen until fully saturated. Experiments demonstrate that the hydrogen storage in graphite nanofibers is safe.
Another method of hydrogen storage derived from nanotechnology involves carbon nano-tubes. With carbon nanotubes, engineers arrange carbon platelets in different configurations. Research has shown the carbon nanotubes to display strong hydrogen storage capabilities.
The contribution of nanotechnology to hydrogen storage is timely, as automobile companies work to advance fuel cell technology amid growing public sentiments to develop alternative forms of energy. Despite the promise of nanotechnology in automobile fuel cells, additional research is required to refine graphite nanofibers and carbon nanotubes and to develop cost-effective means to manufacture the advanced structures.
The Nanotechnology Institute at the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) strongly supports research in nanotechnology and is dedicated to narrowing the gap between theoretical science and real-world applications.
Among other programs, the institute organizes forums that bring together the technical community and general public to review developments in the field.
Automobiles Articles1. Why Automobile Companies Should Tie-up With Drivekool For Rto Services
2. 2018 Best Dirt Bike For Kids Of Different Age Groups – Kids For King
Author: Kids For King
3. How To Get Your Car Ready For Summer
Author: vibhuti Chouhan
4. Rockman Moldex-carbon Composites Company In India
Author: Rockman Industries
5. How To Know Kinds Of Mechanical Repairs Done By Automobile Mechanics In Vista
Author: Andrew Raymond
6. Fleet Wraps The Best Way To Advertise Your Business
7. What Keeps Planes Up And Running
Author: Xtreme Aviation
8. Car Rental Seychelles Should Be Considered When You Are Looking Forward To Make Your Commuting Safe
Author: Jeffrey Pham
9. Your Purpose Of Usage Will Define Whether It Is Best To Choose The Cruiser Over The Touring Bike
Author: Levi Fysh
10. How To Check The First Auto Repair In Any Local Garage
Author: Mark Josesh
11. How To Know Hydraulic Hose System Design
Author: Ryan gary
12. Simulators In Mining Industry
Author: Eesha Zaveri
13. How To Manage A Down Payment For Your Next Car?
Author: Williams Orchard
14. Types Of Forklifts Their Use And Advantages
Author: Raunak Kadam
15. Why You Should Have A Portable Jump Starters For Cars – Reasons!
Author: Anthony Farinola