ALL >> Health >> View Article
E-cigarettes: Good For Adults, Bad For Children?
Total Articles: 48
Are electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes, good or bad? There have been two huge stories recently, which may be seen as conflicting and confusing.
First, the good news. The Lancet showed that electronic cigarettes are effective in helping adults stop smoking. How effective? About as effective as the nicotine patch. Of course, more research is needed in this area, but this is a positive step, right?
Now, the bad news. A study from the Centers for Disease Control showed that e-cigarette use more than doubled among US middle school and high school students. I recommend you check out leading pediatrician social media journalists Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson and Dr. Claire McCarthy on their great essays on the topic.
But, what’s the problem? Kids cannot purchase real cigarettes. So, that means they cannot purchase e-cigarettes, right? Wrong. My home state of Ohio currently allows minors to purchase e-cigs, at least for now, according to this Dayton Daily News article. That’s gotta change.
Currently only about a dozen states prohibit minors from purchasing.
In this video, the news report outlines the dangers of e-cigarette use, especially in children. Many editorials have been written, including this one from Newsday, asking states and the federal government to increase regulation to prohibit minors from purchasing e-cigarettes, just like prohibiting purchase of “real” cigarettes.
Don’t misunderstand. I don’t want to ban all e-cigarettes. I have a lot of stories from patients and stories from friends saying how much e-cigarettes have helped them cut back and/or eliminate the use of real cigarettes. The initial data from the Lancet study is hopeful, and reinforces the anecdotal stories that I have from patients and from friends.
My issue is preventing children from access to electronic cigarettes. There is a window of opportunity (legally) for tobacco companies to expose children to the nicotine experience. And, I think that the health community, as well as the general public, have to educate ourselves on this subject, and get our lawmakers to do the right thing.
Article Credit: www.kevinmd.com
Health Articles1. Male Organ Pain: Are Barrier Protections To Blame?
Author: John Dugan
2. Know About The Key Responsibilities Of A Healthcare Support Worker
Author: Paige Rees
3. Smilex - The Place For Getting The Best Solution For Dental Issues
Author: Mohan Kumar
4. The Easiest Guide Ever To Get Fit & Healthy
5. Span Sure Medical Instruments Pvt. Ltd., Korea Automatic Thermal Massage Bed - Suppliers
Author: spansure medical
6. Midwives Acquire Nursing And Midwifery Programs To Fulfill Big Responsibilities
7. Specialties And Steps Involved In Elective Abroad Medical And Pre Medical Programs
8. Clinically Proven Solutions For Hairloss!!! Unfortunately Less Known!!!
9. How To Treat Gum Disease?
Author: Chris Hugh
10. Ways To Find The Best Chiropody Clinic
Author: The Harley Medical Foot and Nail Laser Clinic Lond
11. How A Good Parent Helps A Childcare Western Sydney
Author: Colleen Grenville
12. Top 30 Signs And Symptoms Of Adrenal Fatigue
Author: Peter Dobie
13. Male Organ Pain After Oral Sensual Activity: Urethritis?
Author: John Dugan
14. The Growing Relevance Of Mobile Massage Services In Albuquerque
Author: Bernadette Gongora
15. Now Natural Cure For Diabetes Is In Your Fingertips
Author: Salveo Life Sciences Limited