ALL >> Health >> View Article
E-cigarettes: To Use Or Not
Total Articles: 42
I have been questioning my feelings about the use of the e-cigarette — a seemingly harmless plastic cigarette that emits a water vapor to simulate smoke and that purportedly helps smokers wean themselves from the real deal. It’s also a way for cigarette smokers to still “smoke” in our new smoke-free establishments without the actual smoke injuring others.
Is this really the case? Are they harmless? Are they helping wean smokers away from their strong addiction? What could be the harm, I questioned?
But are electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, as benign as they claim? After looking into this a little further, and reading articles on both sides, I’ve come to the conclusion that e-cigarettes are indeed something to advocate against and stay away from.
According to Alicia Smith, CADCA’s Tobacco Programs manager and someone with a Masters in Public Health, “ e-cigarettes are gaining steam judging from the growing number of brands popping up all over. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about 21 percent of adults who smoke traditional cigarettes had used e-cigarettes, up from about 10 percent in 2010. Overall, about six percent of all adults have tried e-cigarettes, with estimates nearly doubling from 2010.”
So what exactly are e-cigarettes? Smith further states that e-cigarettes are “battery powered devices that provide inhaled doses of nicotine as well as a substance that helps a product retain water which helps produce the vapor and flavorings to the user. While they don’t contain tobacco, they do contain nicotine and other chemicals, and we know little about their safety.”
Despite the lack of scientific evidence, e-cigarettes are also being marketed as smoking cessation aids. A study recently reported by the CDC Office on Smoking and Health in Nicotine & Tobacco Research concludes that awareness and use of e-cigarettes have increased among U.S. adults between 2010 and 2011, and research shows many smokers are making the switch to their electronic counterparts. Roughly one in five smokers have tried e-cigarettes.
Article Credit: www.hometownlife.com
Health Articles1. Little Known Advantages Of Metapathia Gr Hunter 4025
Author: Lachlan Hedditch
2. Choosing Between Medical Care And Bankruptcy
Author: Neil Udukala
3. Support Yourself During Chronic Fatigue
4. Prepping A Handsome Male Organ For A Doctor Visit
Author: John Dugan
5. The Care Which Should Not Be Ignored For A Long Time
Author: Claudia Lamington
6. Cpr Courses Winnipeg For The Safety Of Your Family
Author: Franke McDowell
7. Primacare Offers Mobility Scooters Best Transportation To The Elderly Or Disabled
8. Webinar Software: Excellent For Small Business
Author: Smith Victor
9. Baldness Treatment In Bangalore
Author: Dr Reddy
10. Cbd Oil For Pets – Things Every Pet Owner Should Know
Author: ABetter UCBD
11. Organic Traditions Ceremonial Grade Matcha Tea Is The Best Matcha Tea In The World!
Author: Owen Thomson
12. Cosmetic Dentist In Delhi
Author: Dr. Naina Chopra
13. Excel Family Dental - Dental Emergencies
Author: Heidi Huang
14. Plastic Surgery Abu Dhabi – An Overview!
Author: Antonio Brown
15. Best Chiropractor And Wellness Services In Toronto
Author: West End Rehab