ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Keeping Bed Bugs Away - Even In College
Total Articles: 24
Bed bugs. Just the mere thought of them in your own home is enough to send shivers down your spine. If you have a college aged child then the thought of sending your student off to a bed bug ridden dorm enters another realm of terror entirely. You may keep your own home spectacularly clean and bed bug free, however that could be in jeopardy the first holiday of the year thanks to your college student. How do you make certain your child is not in an infested spot this fall? These tips can help.
Bed Bug Prevention At School
- Take a close look at the mattress before you actually put the sheets on it. The corners are a good place to start, but you’ll want to look up and down the seams. If you see dark spots, or even the bugs themselves, you may want to talk to a residence hall manager about the problem. Encourage your child to do a routine inspection of the mattress as well.
- Don’t just stop the inspection process at the mattress, though. Make certain that you look over the whole room carefully, too. Take a peek behind the headboard where they love to hide and at any sofas or chairs in the room or in the common room. Bed bugs like to hang out anywhere people spend a lot of time, so all of these areas are fair game.
- If you or your child plans to buy used furniture for college, do some close looking before you buy. If anything looks suspicious, leave it out of the home or dorm.
Sooner or later, your child will return from college, and these tips will help make certain your home stays bed bug free too.
- Inspect the suitcase or bag before it ever enters your home. The two of you may want to sort through it in the garage. All of the laundry should go straight to the washing machine. Be sure to put it on the hottest possible setting, then dry it for at least thirty minutes.
- Take a close look at the lining of the suitcase, too. Vacuum it out just in case any bed bugs have decided to hitch a ride inside.
- If there are items that can’t be washed, you’ll want to put them in a sealed bag in your deep freezer for at least several days. It will kill any potential bed bugs, and their eggs, but you have to do it for several days or the eggs will remain viable.
- Don’t forget to check your child’s electronics, too, as bed bugs can hide in them. Remove keyboards and panels just to make certain you’re not getting bed bugs inside your home.
Even if you do end up with bed bugs thanks to a trip to college, professional bed bugs pest control companies can help you eliminate them. Make certain you call for an inspection as soon as possible.
Article Source: Hopper
Home and Garden Articles1. When Should You Consider Hiring A Property Management Service?
Author: Simply Property Management
2. 3 Reasons Why A Dishwasher As A Appliance Is Better Than Hand-washing
Author: Jackson Wood
3. Decorative Concrete Is Really Useful In Home Adornment
Author: Anu Walia
4. Minka Aire Fans – An Ideal Solution For Maximizing Comfort
Author: Bryson Kaleb
5. Exceptional Features Of Decorative Concrete Flooring
Author: Anu Walia
6. Something Wicked This Way Comes
Author: Lauren Kyes
7. Can Shower Replacement Improve The Look Of Your Bathroom?
8. Walk In Tubs: Soak In The Feeling Of True Relaxation
9. How To Make Your Move ‘green’ While Saving Money
Author: James Draper
10. How To Plan Your Home Renovation Process
Author: James Kyle
11. Great Tips For Improving The Lawn With Lawn Mowing Services
Author: Phil Maunder
12. Add A Value To Your Property By Installing Louvre Shutter
Author: Joseph Zammit
13. How To Care For Interior And Exterior Concrete Floors
Author: Mark Moore
14. How Much Does Professional Asbestos Popcorn Removal Cost?
Author: Jacob Ethan
15. Transform Your House With Remodeling Services In Denver
Author: John Cooper