ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
Tips To Cooking Sea FoodBy Expert Author: Xu Lixing
Eating seafood is good for health. How many times have you heard that statement? However, for many people around the globe who do not live near the coast and for whom seafood is a rare commodity, the challenge is to figure out how to cook it? The good news though is that you need not be an expert or a know-it-all to cook seafood. Most seafood recipes have followed a basic pattern and one recipe can be used to cook different types of seafood. You just need to understand the basics. Seafood is normally categorized into two types: lean fish and fat fish.
Lean Fish are those fishes that have less fat content. They have a fat content ranging from 0.5 percent to 5 percent. Their low oil content means their quality is maintained even when frozen for about six months. Lean fish are normally white-fleshed fish and a few examples are Alaska Pollock, cod gadus morhua, Snapper, Golden Pompano, Halibut and so on.
Fat Fish are those fish that have a fat content of more than 5 percent. However, the fat of the fish is still good for your health, so need not worry. The oil is distributed all through the flesh of the fish, as result of which the flesh of the fish tends to be a bit darker. These fish do not freeze well and so have a very short shelf life of three months. Some of the examples of fat fish are Pompano, Salmon, and Tuna and so on.
While cooking sea food there are just a few basic rules that you need to keep in mind. The recipes can be used interchangeably for both types of fish.
1. Fat fish are strong in flavour and if substituted with a lean fish in a recipe, you may lose the fish flavour.
2. If you plan to substitute a fat fish with a lean fish, you may have to baste it frequently to prevent the fish from drying in the cooking process.
3. Lean fish are a good choice for soups and stews which need constant handling. The firmer texture of the lean fish means that it retains it shape and also gives a more pleasing finished appearance.
To enjoy your seafood cooking, try and exchange one fish for another in a recipe and you will surely be delighted with the wonderful and delicious results you will get.
10 Minutes Rule
When it comes to cooking seafood, timing is a very important factor. You would not want to overcook your fish as it may leave your fish dry and less tasty. A perfectly cooked fish will be moist and delicately flavoured. The best way to cook fish using a conventional method is to follow the “10 minute rule”. First, you need to measure the fish at its thickest point, if you are going for a stuffed or rolled fish, measure it after you do the stuffing. You need to cook the fish for 10 minutes per inch, turning it at the half way stage. For example, a one inch fish will be cooked for 5 minutes on each side.
Cooking fish perfectly depends on the timing. The most common mistake while cooking a fish is overcooking it. Avoid cooking fish until it flakes because this may make the fish tough and dry. So avoid overcooking the fish and enjoy your next seafood meal.
About the Author-
King Nestle International Company specializes in supplying the highest quality sea food products (such as frozen tilapia fillets, Alaska Pollock fish, vannamei white shrimp, etc.) They proudly present their seafood industry (frozen Squid) services that can add extra value to the commercial markets. Their highly dedicated customer service will give the confidence and pleasure working with them.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. Reasons For American Restaurants’ Reputation As Pleasure Dinning
Author: Mathew Gomes
2. The Reasons That Make Vietnamese Cuisine Special
Author: Spencer Wiedermann
3. Surprise Her With Cooking Class Gift Vouchers For Her Birthday
Author: Chef Ha Nguyen
4. Top Services Used In Successful Food Marketing
Author: anil kumar
5. Ready To Tingle Your Taste Buds In Thai & Chinese Restaurants In Dubai
6. Comparing The Restaurant Aldelo Pos System With Cash Registers
Author: Glen Oliver
7. Simplified Factsheet About Drinking Alkaline Water
Author: Hampry Gomes
8. Order Food Online Delivery In Gold Coasta To Satisfy Your Craving For Exotic And Authentic Indian Cu
9. Why Taco Catering Is As Perfect For Independence Day As Hot Dogs And Apple Pie
Author: Justin Prietto
10. National Taco Day: When Is It, And How To Celebrate It
Author: Justin Prietto
11. Kosher Taco Catering - A Growing Demand For The Best Of Holidays And Celebrations
Author: Justin Prietto
12. Emerging Issues In Food Safety-globally
Author: Event Manager
13. Caffeine Is Tea Is Good For Health
Author: Ginette Theodore
14. Peanuts- More Than Just A Way To Pass The Time Of Day
15. Hotels And Restaurants In Dubai- Home Away From Home?
Author: Dyllan Samer