ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Exploring Shimla With Shimla Tours
Total Articles: 400
Poised at over seven thousand feet above sea level, Shimla (also spelled Simla), is the capital city of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Like the rest of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla too is a mountainous region, characterised by steep slopes, alpine forests and a rather sharp nip in the air. In other words, it’s a quintessential Indian hill station, and like all quintessential Indian hill stations, you will find several holiday packages with which you can explore the city. Here are a few things you can do in Shimla; make sure your holiday packages list these on their itineraries!
• Pay a visit to the Viceregal Lodge.
An architectural beauty from the 1880s, the Viceregal Lodge (now rechristened RashtrapatiNivas) is one of the last remnants of British rule in India. The lavish, palatial building once served as the home of the British Viceroy of India. Lord Dufferin was the first Viceroy of India to occupy this house, way back in the year 1888. Today, the Viceregal Lodge is utilised mainly by the Indian Institute of Advanced Study, and though you cannot live there, a visit is definitely in order.
• Take a walk on Summer Hill.
Summer Hill is a prominent suburb of Shimla, famous for two reasons. The first being that it is the location of the Himachal Pradesh University, the second being that it is where Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, stayed during his visit to Shimla. Gandhiji resided in the Georgian home of Raj KumariAmritKaur, which stands even to this day. Summer Hill is a highly picturesque spot on the Kalka-Shimla Railway Line, and also a very tranquil one, offering tourists the chance to take quiet uninterrupted walks by themselves.
• Go skiing at Kufri.
Located at a distance of about fifteen kilometres from Shimla, Kufri lies at an altitude of about 2,000 metres above sea level. In the winter, snow falls here, making it a prime choice among skiers and hikers. A brief, enjoyable walk will lead you to the nearby Mahasu Peak. Kufri also falls under the geographic location of the Himalayan Nature Park and if you’re lucky, you might even spot some interesting birds and animals indigenous to the region.
• Sign up for a heavy duty trek.
Shimla is located within the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, and offers plenty of opportunities to serious trekkers to test their mettle. One can trek all the way to the Kullu district via either the Jalori or Bashleo Passes, or one can choose instead to trek to the nearer towns of Tattapani, Junga or Sangla. There is no shortage of treks and trails around Shimla, and excursions can last from a few days to even weeks, depending on what level of difficulty you choose.
Shimla tours are aplenty to choose from, and we suggest you choose wisely. Shimla is more than just a summer resort, but rather a place steeped in history and culture. If you look closely, there is much to discover, and we hope you discover a lot on your Shimla holiday!
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. In his spare time, Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves to travel on holiday packages to pursue his passion. His albums are replete with amazing pictures of his recent tours to Shimla.
Travel Articles1. Experiencing Bollywood Fantasy Dubai
Author: Dalphine Wanjiru
2. Summer In Dubai With Burj Khalifa Tickets
Author: Dalphine Wanjiru
3. Nhai Plans Four-lane Highway In Telangana Under Bharatmala
4. Hotel Reservation Software Can Increase Sales
5. An Encounter With The Ancient Maori Culture Of Tauranga In New Zealand
Author: Roger Simister
6. Hire Cheap Heathrow Airport Taxi Simply Online
7. Get The Best Pleasure Out Of Mombasa Day Trip In A True Safari Nation Kenya
Author: Jennifer Njoki Gaithuma
8. Hire Cheap London Airport Transfer Now With The Click Of A Button
9. Promising Effort By Brazil Tour Company Makes Your Trip To Brazil Memorable
Author: Anna Avanesova
10. Factors On Choosing Van Hire Landing Page In Bilston
Author: Jack William
11. How To Save More Money With Car Rental In Maui
Author: Vikram Kumar
12. The Everest Base Camp Trek - Strong, But Hugely Rewarding
Author: Sudip Shahi
13. Pearl Farm In Samal Island
Author: OUR 7107 ISLANDS
14. Plan The Destination Wedding With The Best Vacation Sells Off And Makes Memories Of A Lifetime
Author: Sam Patel
15. Oman Tourist Visa By Oman-e-visa