ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Exploring Shimla With Shimla Tours
Total Articles: 400
Poised at over seven thousand feet above sea level, Shimla (also spelled Simla), is the capital city of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Like the rest of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla too is a mountainous region, characterised by steep slopes, alpine forests and a rather sharp nip in the air. In other words, it’s a quintessential Indian hill station, and like all quintessential Indian hill stations, you will find several holiday packages with which you can explore the city. Here are a few things you can do in Shimla; make sure your holiday packages list these on their itineraries!
• Pay a visit to the Viceregal Lodge.
An architectural beauty from the 1880s, the Viceregal Lodge (now rechristened RashtrapatiNivas) is one of the last remnants of British rule in India. The lavish, palatial building once served as the home of the British Viceroy of India. Lord Dufferin was the first Viceroy of India to occupy this house, way back in the year 1888. Today, the Viceregal Lodge is utilised mainly by the Indian Institute of Advanced Study, and though you cannot live there, a visit is definitely in order.
• Take a walk on Summer Hill.
Summer Hill is a prominent suburb of Shimla, famous for two reasons. The first being that it is the location of the Himachal Pradesh University, the second being that it is where Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, stayed during his visit to Shimla. Gandhiji resided in the Georgian home of Raj KumariAmritKaur, which stands even to this day. Summer Hill is a highly picturesque spot on the Kalka-Shimla Railway Line, and also a very tranquil one, offering tourists the chance to take quiet uninterrupted walks by themselves.
• Go skiing at Kufri.
Located at a distance of about fifteen kilometres from Shimla, Kufri lies at an altitude of about 2,000 metres above sea level. In the winter, snow falls here, making it a prime choice among skiers and hikers. A brief, enjoyable walk will lead you to the nearby Mahasu Peak. Kufri also falls under the geographic location of the Himalayan Nature Park and if you’re lucky, you might even spot some interesting birds and animals indigenous to the region.
• Sign up for a heavy duty trek.
Shimla is located within the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, and offers plenty of opportunities to serious trekkers to test their mettle. One can trek all the way to the Kullu district via either the Jalori or Bashleo Passes, or one can choose instead to trek to the nearer towns of Tattapani, Junga or Sangla. There is no shortage of treks and trails around Shimla, and excursions can last from a few days to even weeks, depending on what level of difficulty you choose.
Shimla tours are aplenty to choose from, and we suggest you choose wisely. Shimla is more than just a summer resort, but rather a place steeped in history and culture. If you look closely, there is much to discover, and we hope you discover a lot on your Shimla holiday!
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. In his spare time, Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves to travel on holiday packages to pursue his passion. His albums are replete with amazing pictures of his recent tours to Shimla.
Travel Articles1. Top Things To Know About A Luxury Bahamas Yacht Wedding
Author: Alvin Strachan
2. Embrace The Romance With Lax Limo Car Service
Author: Dylan MITCHELL
3. Thailand Travel Tours Guide The Most Wonderful Places To Visit In Thailand
Author: Thailand Tour Packages
4. Enjoy Dubai Shopping Tours
Author: Dubai Shopping Tours
5. Including All Loved Ones With A Bachelor Party In Dc Via Dc Charter Bus
Author: David WILSON
6. 5 Destinations For Day Trips From Ho Chi Minh City
Author: Le Xuan Son
7. 4 Relaxing Activities That You Must Do On Your Grand Cayman Tour
Author: Michael Leacock
8. Best Fujairah Tours Services
9. Budget Annapurna Base Camp Trek - Best For Budget Travelers
Author: Info Nepal Trekking
10. Witness Enchanting Surroundings With Cheap Holidays To Hurghada
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
11. Acquire Legal Child Adoption Service In Nepal
12. How To Choose Your Vintage Wedding Car Hire In Dublin Smartly!
Author: Padraic O Reilly
13. How Do You Prepare For Cape Town Cycle Tour?
Author: Daily Scandinavian
14. 6 Tips For Discovering The Charisma Of Popular Nz Tour Attractions
Author: Damien McConnell
15. Enjoy The Classic Mera Peak Climbing With Your Friends And Family