ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Exploring Shimla With Shimla Tours
Total Articles: 400
Poised at over seven thousand feet above sea level, Shimla (also spelled Simla), is the capital city of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Like the rest of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla too is a mountainous region, characterised by steep slopes, alpine forests and a rather sharp nip in the air. In other words, it’s a quintessential Indian hill station, and like all quintessential Indian hill stations, you will find several holiday packages with which you can explore the city. Here are a few things you can do in Shimla; make sure your holiday packages list these on their itineraries!
• Pay a visit to the Viceregal Lodge.
An architectural beauty from the 1880s, the Viceregal Lodge (now rechristened RashtrapatiNivas) is one of the last remnants of British rule in India. The lavish, palatial building once served as the home of the British Viceroy of India. Lord Dufferin was the first Viceroy of India to occupy this house, way back in the year 1888. Today, the Viceregal Lodge is utilised mainly by the Indian Institute of Advanced Study, and though you cannot live there, a visit is definitely in order.
• Take a walk on Summer Hill.
Summer Hill is a prominent suburb of Shimla, famous for two reasons. The first being that it is the location of the Himachal Pradesh University, the second being that it is where Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, stayed during his visit to Shimla. Gandhiji resided in the Georgian home of Raj KumariAmritKaur, which stands even to this day. Summer Hill is a highly picturesque spot on the Kalka-Shimla Railway Line, and also a very tranquil one, offering tourists the chance to take quiet uninterrupted walks by themselves.
• Go skiing at Kufri.
Located at a distance of about fifteen kilometres from Shimla, Kufri lies at an altitude of about 2,000 metres above sea level. In the winter, snow falls here, making it a prime choice among skiers and hikers. A brief, enjoyable walk will lead you to the nearby Mahasu Peak. Kufri also falls under the geographic location of the Himalayan Nature Park and if you’re lucky, you might even spot some interesting birds and animals indigenous to the region.
• Sign up for a heavy duty trek.
Shimla is located within the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, and offers plenty of opportunities to serious trekkers to test their mettle. One can trek all the way to the Kullu district via either the Jalori or Bashleo Passes, or one can choose instead to trek to the nearer towns of Tattapani, Junga or Sangla. There is no shortage of treks and trails around Shimla, and excursions can last from a few days to even weeks, depending on what level of difficulty you choose.
Shimla tours are aplenty to choose from, and we suggest you choose wisely. Shimla is more than just a summer resort, but rather a place steeped in history and culture. If you look closely, there is much to discover, and we hope you discover a lot on your Shimla holiday!
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. In his spare time, Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves to travel on holiday packages to pursue his passion. His albums are replete with amazing pictures of his recent tours to Shimla.
Travel Articles1. Explore 5 Beautiful Lakes In Ooty Apart From Ooty Lake
2. The Best Offering Package For The Holy Tour Of Chardham Yatra This Coming September
Author: Char Dham Yatra
3. Different Rides For Prom In Chicago From A Charter Coach Bus Rental Company
4. Let Loose In Los Angeles With Bus Tours
Author: Hire Charter Bus
5. Natural Meets History Of The Kruger National Park
6. Five Free Things To Do In Key West
Author: Dale Dunlop
7. Destination Key West: Popular Attractions
Author: Dale Dunlop
8. Cycling Tours In The French Alps
Author: David Luther
9. Top Trekking & Hiking Trails In Nepal
Author: Mountain Hawk Trekking
10. Mardi Himal Trek - Best Alternative To Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Author: Himalaya Trekking Team
11. Three Exquisite Yet Cultural Cities Of Peshawar That You May Never Want To Leave
Author: Flights Masters
12. Rent The Driver’s Place; Enjoy With Family And Kids On Your Trips
Author: Robert Anhouse
13. Dmz Taxi Tour – Driver Guide Tour Can Make The Dmz Tour A More Planned One!
Author: Brian Lee
14. The Car Rental Dubai Agency Is Your One Stop Shop To Hire The Best Car Of Your Choice
15. Areas Of Cuba
Author: Stephen David